PDA

View Full Version : Has Craig finally given up?

AeroJonny
8th November 2007, 01:19 PM
Sad to see Knottie II up for sale big guy, could you not let the last few niggles ironed out? What's in the pipeline? ;)

Craig
8th November 2007, 05:39 PM
Yes I have given up.

<Words here about the people involved with repairing the car which would be mostly swear words and they might want to sue me as they have others>

Just think that after nearly 11 months of dealing with sub standard R56's I have decided to sell up, take the hit and get out. FAR too much stress involved and to be honest I am sick to my stomach the way this has been dealt with my MINI and my supplying dealer. :( :(

Looking for a year to 2 year old facelift cooper with some toys and hopefully get back to enjoying my MINI ownership.. let's face it, it couldn't be any worse..

If anyone is interested in my car - the details are here... http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/285892.htm

The car is currently getting the sound of rushing water fixed and the diesel noise, so it will be fault free when I get it back.

Some of you will say...... "why is he getting rid when it is fixed". To be honest, sick of all the problems and not really enjoying the car. Also the payments for me are too much and in hindsight, I should never have taken it on. Also after driving the One Conv that I have been given as a courtesy car, I prefer the handling and styling more.. :eek: ;)

Scottie
8th November 2007, 06:26 PM
Sorry to hear about your R56 going up for sale.:( Obviously it's not been enough to put you of MINI altogether as you intend to buy another.:D

Looks like a great buy for someone with all the faults getting fixed saving a bob or two from new anyway.

I take your PX price was not good. Thought MINI retained their value:confused: maybe it's to new.

Onwards and upwards keeping the postives in mind you will end up with a car you enjoy more and that's what it is all about.:D

illegalhunter
8th November 2007, 07:23 PM
I no the feeling Craig .

MINI William
8th November 2007, 07:30 PM
sorry to hear about the car hopefully we will get u into another mini lol:D

The Dogfather
8th November 2007, 07:54 PM
Sorry to hear this Craig, I would have hoped MINI would have sorted your problems before this. I thought about an R56 but decide against it after hearing about the trouble you were having.

Looks like an increasing number of loyal owners are deserting the new model in favour of the old or another brand. Maybe that's because the R56 is substandard or as in my case the customer experience your dealers are providing is crap.

Either way with new competition on the horizon (Audi A1,Fiat 500) the MINIs popularity might be on the way down.

Craig
8th November 2007, 08:51 PM
The part x was horrendous (or so I thought) a £5k drop in 4 months. or 25% of the value of the car so I am not sure where they get their figures from.:( It may be because it is so new, but your not telling me they would put the car on the forecourt at £17K, it will be more like £18 to £18.5K.

FergusM
8th November 2007, 11:25 PM
That is a shame.. I'm going to stick with mine, no way I'm loosing that amount of ££...and I still love mine even with the faults.

Gismo
9th November 2007, 05:43 AM
Sorry to hear this Craig, try JC's in Dundee for a part exchange, they may not always get the best press but they have always helped me out.

john
9th November 2007, 07:41 AM
Sorry to hear this Craig, try JC's in Dundee for a part exchange, they may not always get the best press but they have always helped me out.

They paid top dollar for my GP so as he says its worth a call.

Craig
9th November 2007, 08:28 AM
Will do BS and John. Thanks for the tip. :D

waiting on a couple of calls later today with prices. :)

illegalhunter
9th November 2007, 08:34 AM
Craig it took a £4k hit in 3 months , i was so sick of the Mini i didnt matter . I wish i had never got rid of my cooper .

ianking
9th November 2007, 06:51 PM
Craig
I tried several dealers when we were seling Sarahs car. Of al the dealers in scotland JC's were the worst on price by a very very very long shot. I like you put it on the pistonheads site and it was a dealer from down south that phoned up. Gave us what I would have taken from a private seller. He cleared the finance off as he was able to find out everything as she took mini finance, sorted all the mess that Menzies made of registering it on the wrong number, paid Sarah the difference and then sent a driver up on the train 2 days later to take it away.
The dealer was 'Bluebell Crewe'

KenL
9th November 2007, 09:49 PM
Dealers in will normally offer you cr*p money, just like they do on trade ins :rolleyes:

I remember when selling my O2 ONE, Dunedin offered me £7.5k even though I was getting almost £9k as a trade in. That price was after taking off the difference I could have bought the Golf for cash, on paper, I was getting £9.5k for it.

Unless they have someone waiting for a car in your spec, nowadays they are unlikely to offer much as they all have cars to sell already.

KenL
9th November 2007, 09:50 PM
Forgot to say, keep your car :-)

Craig
10th November 2007, 05:04 PM
well, the deed is done. My R56 will be gone in a couple of weeks (cherished transfer to do).

sold to a dealer in England and buying a 56 plate Cooper from them.

Hyper Blue/Black
MFSW
Air Con
17" Bullets
Chilli Pack.

They gave me a grand more than any scottish dealer, so it made the change a bit easier to take. I think I have been incredibly unlucky with the 2 new cars I have had, however it will stop me buying ANY first edition again. :(

Various R56 items will be up for sale soon..;)

KenL
10th November 2007, 05:20 PM
well, the deed is done. My R56 will be gone in a couple of weeks (cherished transfer to do).

sold to a dealer in England and buying a 56 plate Cooper from them.

Hyper Blue/Black
MFSW
Air Con
17" Bullets
Chilli Pack.

They gave me a grand more than any scottish dealer, so it made the change a bit easier to take. I think I have been incredibly unlucky with the 2 new cars I have had, however it will stop me buying ANY first edition again. :(

Various R56 items will be up for sale soon..;)

Really sorry to hear that you thought you had to do this.

However, glad to hear you have gone for a MINI - which sounds a cracker, hyper blue is a very nice colour.

What R56 items do you have?

zimbo
10th November 2007, 05:52 PM
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I just got a letter from a certain dealer this morning asking to buy my car!!! And my first thought was WTF :eek:

Who else has ever had this? If I remember correctly BS did a little while back.

Sorry about all your trouble with the cars Craig, but I am glad to hear that your troubles are going to be over shortly with your new HB . Just ashame you have to go all the way down south of the border for the privelage tho. :(

Craig
10th November 2007, 06:20 PM
Really sorry to hear that you thought you had to do this.

What R56 items do you have?

Ken, not really sure what you mean by the expression "you thought you had to do this" :confused: The main reason is this is my second car of this type with similar problems that dealers and MINI are either not prepared to fix the faults or cannot fix the faults. This to me means that I am shelling out £20k for a car which is inherently faulty, however MINI and the Dealer do no see it that way. I have therefore decided the best thing for me and my health (not necessarily my bank balance) is to get out of the situation.

I love MINI's and that is why I am going back to the only models they started to get the build quality right in and that is the face-lift models. :)

R56 Bits for sale will be in a new thread shortly.. :cool:

KenL
10th November 2007, 06:41 PM
Ken, not really sure what you mean by the expression "you thought you had to do this" :confused: The main reason is this is my second car of this type with similar problems that dealers and MINI are either not prepared to fix the faults or cannot fix the faults.

I was thinking you thought you had to sell as you had no faith in the car.

You did say earlier that the faults were fixed, or would be when the car came back from the dealers, have they been fully fixed now?

Craig
10th November 2007, 07:50 PM
I was thinking you thought you had to sell as you had no faith in the car.

You did say earlier that the faults were fixed, or would be when the car came back from the dealers, have they been fully fixed now?

nope, 2 of the 3 faults have not been fixed, so this has helped me make the decision.. :eek: :(

Scottie
10th November 2007, 08:13 PM
glad it is all coming to end for you with the R56 ownership Craig.

p.s. You don't need to come on here and justify your decision to sell the motor to any forum member, don't see the need to have a 5 page thread on "I wouldn't have sold the car or why did you sell the car". nuff said on that I feel

weefossy
10th November 2007, 08:26 PM
Graig, sorry to hear about continued problems but pleased to hear you have bought a trusty facelift. You have also given me a lot of thinking to do.
Went to see the clubman today and we (Sioban) really liked it, so you know what that means:rolleyes: :rolleyes: She reckons she can get a barbi in it:o

To be honest it's the only R56 I've liked. I think the higher lines are better suited to the van, but I'm really worried about reliability of the R56 and in particular a newly launched model.
Don't know if I can live without the "whine":D

Have even thought of keeping the convertible for myself or swapping it for a similar R53 works with proper roof, but don't know if I can jusify having two minis.
Anyone want to buy a nice convertible?

KenL
10th November 2007, 09:36 PM
nope, 2 of the 3 faults have not been fixed, so this has helped me make the decision.. :eek: :(

Oh, right :(

I thought they were being fixed.

I think with all you have been through, you are making the right decision.

Post pics of the new car when you get it, sounds very nice.

Gismo
11th November 2007, 06:50 AM
Glad to hear you're staying in mini ownership, given what you've been through it would have been easy to move onto a different brand :eek:
Am wondering if the Cooper is right for you after having an S.
When i traded my old S and ended up with a Cooper it was a fantastic car, but, i just wanted a bit more oomph

stoney
11th November 2007, 10:16 AM
well glad your staying with a mini

what would we do for some of the cracking runs

sorry your r56 had 2 go but dont blame you with all the probs

i all ways say i would never bye a brand new car cos of the money you lose

Craig
11th November 2007, 01:45 PM
Glad to hear you're staying in mini ownership, given what you've been through it would have been easy to move onto a different brand :eek:
Am wondering if the Cooper is right for you after having an S.
When i traded my old S and ended up with a Cooper it was a fantastic car, but, i just wanted a bit more oomph

Thought about hat A LOT Alan before making the decision. To be honest, I still can't justify the mpg of a Supercharged S with the mileage I do, despite how I drive on runs, when I am on my own, the car get's driven in a spirited manner..:D The Turbo S was only an option because of the good MPG.

I will prob miss the power at first, but I think I will enjoy the "experience" of driving the Coop again. I found myself slightly lazy when driving the S as it pulled in any gear for overtaking, rather than having to think about "what gear should I be in for this overtake?"

tonyjac
11th November 2007, 03:39 PM
all the best with your new car craig:D

Gismo
12th November 2007, 05:32 AM
I will prob miss the power at first, but I think I will enjoy the "experience" of driving the Coop again
Aye, a well driven Cooper will beat a lazy/badly driven S nae bother ;)

ajamesj
12th November 2007, 10:44 AM
Yeh you will love it craig. I thought I would miss my "s" but I am lovin My Cooper D and it has still plenty of go and it feels like your more involved when havin to think more about gear changes instead of just putting foot to floor.

Smurf
12th November 2007, 01:26 PM
Very sorry to hear you've had SO much bother, Craig.

But happy that you are staying with MINI ownership. I love my facelift Cooper, and like you, think that they got the build quality and styling just right with this model.

I was never convinced by the R56, I'm just not completely sold on the new styling. HOWEVER... I saw the new Clubman yesterday, and I think it looks awesome. The higher R56 nose seems to be better balanced by the estate rear end. Still don't like those silly contrast rear "pillars" but the dark cars with black pillars look ace. I especially like the metallic dark brown colour with brown interior.

It's a good job I don't want to trade in my car... as I would be worried by the R56 problems you (and others) have had...

Scottie
19th November 2007, 11:29 PM
so when is the big day then.??

Are you going doing for the car or are they delivering it to you.?

Craig
19th November 2007, 11:31 PM
don't know yet Fi, that is down to the DVLA. I have insured it from Fri, so hopefully this weekend, but I am waiting to here.

Going to drive down and pick it up :D Also means I can pop into Huntleys of Salmesbury for an all day breakfast. mmmmmmm:)

Scottie
19th November 2007, 11:37 PM
don't know yet Fi, that is down to the DVLA. I have insured it from Fri, so hopefully this weekend, but I am waiting to here.

Going to drive down and pick it up :D Also means I can pop into Huntleys of Salmesbury for an all day breakfast. mmmmmmm:)

really this weekend oh well might join you for a wee run down the M6 as we will be on holiday from Wednesday round about the Liverpool area.;)

Craig
19th November 2007, 11:45 PM
cool, I'll let you know... :D

Scottie
19th November 2007, 11:46 PM
Mind then text me if your on the road so I can blast past you.;)

Craig
19th November 2007, 11:48 PM

aye, right....:confused: ;)

Big Gordy
20th November 2007, 12:03 AM
If its the last time he'll see the car he'll be driving it like he's just stolen it:eek:;):D

AndyP & Lenore
20th November 2007, 12:32 AM

Always thinking of his stomache.:rolleyes:

A.:D

Craig
26th November 2007, 05:59 PM
Well, got the news today that the documents are back from the DVLA, so it's a GO GO GO for Saturday. :D :D

The garage has also confirmed that they are taxing the vehicle for 6 months and covering the cost of the reg transfer, and that is without any prompting from me. I'm very pleased with the service so far.. Something for free from a MINI garage :confused: :confused: You wouldn't read about it.. :eek: :p

Fiona, might see you for the drive home ? ;)

illegalhunter
26th November 2007, 06:05 PM
Great news Craig

Crombers
26th November 2007, 10:31 PM

Back to Cooperland :cool: , y'know it makes sence chief ;)

As for Huntleys, just remember that brekkie stops at 11am :)

Craig
26th November 2007, 10:57 PM
Back to Cooperland :cool: , y'know it makes sence chief ;)

As for Huntleys, just remember that brekkie stops at 11am :)

yes yes... leaving at 07:30hrs, hoping to be there before 11.. :p :D

Gismo
26th November 2007, 11:13 PM
What day ya going down??

Scottie
26th November 2007, 11:16 PM

we are now collecting our new mota on Friday Craig.:D

Craig
26th November 2007, 11:34 PM
What day ya going down??

Sat Morning.. You wanting to cadge a lift ?:eek: :D

Craig
26th November 2007, 11:35 PM

nae worries, I'll be golfing at St Andrews on Friday. :cool: :cool: :cool:

AndyP & Lenore
26th November 2007, 11:36 PM
nae worries, I'll be golfing at St Andrews on Friday. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Name dropper.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Gismo
26th November 2007, 11:37 PM
Sat Morning.. You wanting to cadge a lift ?:eek: :D
Hopefully going Wednesday :) i play golf on the 5th oldest course in the world on Saturday's :rolleyes: :p

KenL
27th November 2007, 08:18 AM
Hopefully going Wednesday :) i play golf on the 5th oldest course in the world on Saturday's :rolleyes: :p

Which course is that?

Craig
27th November 2007, 08:27 AM
Which course is that?

Montrose...:D

Gismo
27th November 2007, 10:23 AM
Which course is that?
Montrose, once again the British Open qualifyer this year

Craig
27th November 2007, 05:57 PM
Got a call from the Dealer today....

The DVLA have held onto the documents for 2 and half weeks (re the reg transfer) and done NOTHING with it... what a bunch of ****3RS..:mad: :mad: :mad:

Had to re-sort out the Insurance, still getting the car on Sat, just with the 56 plate still on it. When I get the retention cert and V55 back from DVLA in a few weeks, I will re-assign the number...

why can't these monkeys do a simple task..:(

The dealer has been very good and seems to be paying the extra money for the retention cert, despite it not being their fault..:)

MINI William
27th November 2007, 07:35 PM
pleased to hear your getting another MINI:D

illegalhunter
27th November 2007, 07:40 PM
What ya getting Fi?

KenL
27th November 2007, 08:17 PM
why can't these monkeys do a simple task..:(

The dealer has been very good and seems to be paying the extra money for the retention cert, despite it not being their fault..:)

Glad you are getting your car on time.

These fancy plates are more hassle than they are worth, no?

Craig
27th November 2007, 09:12 PM
Glad you are getting your car on time.

These fancy plates are more hassle than they are worth, no?

not really Ken, just an inefficient government department who can't get simple paperwork right. :rolleyes:

it's what I've come to expect from this fair land. You pay for a service and don't get anywhere near what you should. :(

KenL
27th November 2007, 10:42 PM
not really Ken, just an inefficient government department who can't get simple paperwork right. :rolleyes:

it's what I've come to expect from this fair land. You pay for a service and don't get anywhere near what you should. :(

I totally agree with you.

This charging £100 or whatever it is for this service, after charging you extra for a plate is a total disgrace, and to then mess you around is not on. :(

If they were a private company, they would go bust for sure!

Scottie
27th November 2007, 11:04 PM
What ya getting Fi?

nothing fancy I'm afraid.:( I've went all boring just a wee number for towing and for the dogs.