PDA

View Full Version : Another camera question regarding IS.

AndyP & Lenore
6th November 2007, 10:47 AM
Was looking at this new lens from Canon.

EF S f4-5.6 IS USM (http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/EF_Lenses/Image_Stabilization_Lenses/EF-S_55-250mm_f_4-5_6_IS/index.asp)

Looks a cracking lens. But, I see the spec shows the IS being turned off if it detects horizontal or vertical panning. Doesn't this contradict the whole purpose behind image stabilization? I thought the whole idea was that it would stabilise your image while you panned - sort of.

I want to use it for motor sport, but if the IS system is shut down as I pan across the plane of the cars passing in front of me, I'd be as well sticking with my 75-300 lens I already have. Or would I?

A.:confused:

AndyP & Lenore
7th November 2007, 12:09 AM
Where's VintageB3 when you need him most?

Or Calum? Are you around?

Can anyone answer my questions?

A.:confused:

Gismo
7th November 2007, 03:58 AM
Buy an Olympus :rolleyes:
I get the feeling it's a temp thing, as soon as you've finished panning it'll restore the image stabalisation thingy :)

AndyP & Lenore
7th November 2007, 08:54 AM
Buy an Olympus :rolleyes:
I get the feeling it's a temp thing, as soon as you've finished panning it'll restore the image stabalisation thingy :)

Yeah, but I think I may have misunderstood the feature anyway. Other lenses make a big thing of; when it detects horizontal or vertical panning, it shuts off IS in the opposite plane. This keeps the subject matter pin sharp while avoiding shake in the unintended direction. If this IS works the same way, that would be cool.

Does your Olympus do that? Eh? Well.... Does it?:D :D :D Actually it probably does. Who knows.:confused:

A.:D

monsta mo mini admin
7th November 2007, 10:27 AM
From personal experience of the panning stabilization....it ain't that great. The straight stabilization is amazing. Pin sharp at 1/15 on 200mm.

Gismo
7th November 2007, 10:30 AM
Shame, MMM changed his post :rolleyes: anyway, Andy, ya tight git :eek: pay for the pro lens :D :p

monsta mo mini admin
7th November 2007, 10:25 PM
All I took out was...stop being such a tight wad and splash out on a fully specced pro lens;) :)

Sheilz
8th November 2007, 01:42 AM
Eyefetch or Red Bubble are very good sites to get advice about diff lenses. My photographic knowledge is limited so cant help just getting to grips with using only manual settings. Am taking longer than most to learn coz i keep forgetting and have to relearn the same stuff.

Gismo
8th November 2007, 04:22 AM
All I took out was...stop being such a tight wad and splash out on a fully specced pro lens;) :)
Exactly what i said :D

AndyP & Lenore
8th November 2007, 12:42 PM
Thing is guys, I can't justify a pro lens. Just don't use it enough. Nothing about me being a tight wad. I am a tight wad, but that's a different conversation altogether.;)

A.:D