PDA

View Full Version : I Want...........

Gismo
29th October 2007, 02:18 PM
..............300 BHP (http://www.gtt.uk.com/miniturbo.asp)

john
29th October 2007, 02:26 PM
And what would you do with 300BHP??:confused:

euan
29th October 2007, 02:39 PM
Get through a lot of tyre with that!!

AndyP & Lenore
29th October 2007, 03:46 PM
Thought you liked your supercharger whine... That's why you bought one of the last supercharger models last year.

Mind you.... 300bhp. Oh yeah baby!

A.:D

Crombers
29th October 2007, 08:11 PM
Mmmm 300bhp , at what point does the pilot say 'rotate' :rolleyes: :) :D

bigcoyote
29th October 2007, 08:52 PM
You want your MINI to do something like this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E2QTuO_-nX4

:D

AndyP & Lenore
29th October 2007, 09:04 PM

LOL. Thats just not big or clever.:rolleyes:

Crombers
29th October 2007, 10:13 PM
LOL. Thats just not big or clever.:rolleyes:

'Splutter cough' yeah man , cool the smoke dude :rolleyes: ;) :D

AndyP & Lenore
29th October 2007, 10:25 PM
'Splutter cough' yeah man , cool the smoke dude :rolleyes: ;) :D

LOL> Did you hear what the guy in the background said at the end....? Something like "That was awesome!"

vintageb3
29th October 2007, 10:31 PM
Could never understand this behavior.

Maybe it was just his turn to be the asshole?

mark

Gismo
30th October 2007, 04:23 AM

Couldn't do that, the mini is front wheel drive :D

JCWmini
30th October 2007, 08:06 AM
And how much?

Gismo
30th October 2007, 09:03 AM
And how much?
Well, the basic package is a cool £8k + VAT :eek: but, it's a serious motor.
Looks like the auto air con (if you have it) is removed to allow one of the coolers to be located behind the front bumper panel.

Probably would be best to buy a standard S with very few mods and use the money towards the turbo conversion, if you really wanted it :rolleyes:

Pesonally i wouldn't consider it until my warranty ran out, which be around the same time as i would trade the car in, so, all in all, what i probably would spend on a newer car i would put to a conversion like this :)

bigcoyote
30th October 2007, 01:56 PM
Here is a FireBall Tim " Black Widow " -- over 380HP at the WHEELS and over 400BHP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdNO11LHFZU

Here was my best with my 04 MCS and bolt-ons 172HP at the wheels -- but the 2 JCW cars only put out 165 & 170HP at the wheels ... so my S was putting down more power than a JCW, just a little, but I was happy:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtFOPUiKtu4

Just remember you can never have to much power ( most of the time ):D

ELFMAN
30th October 2007, 02:40 PM
300bhp for £8K? OK. THEN you've got to have the suspension, Rubber and Brakes to handle it....... add another few £K.... then insure it....... then add more for the tyres (and pants) you shred...... Then you lose your licence (or kill yourself) racing Jap road rockets (why have it if you don't use it - surely not just to 'Bench Race' down the pub?) Then when you get fed up with it (eventually you will - you get used to anything) you sell it at a big loss to a 21 year-old who wraps it round a tree a week later......

I saw this Turbo conversion a while back, and while it's pretty cool, I'd rather have 210bhp for half the dosh - plus the fact there's always that tuned Evo or Scooby who'll take you to the cleaners on a damp road..... then think how p*ssed you'd be...... Horses for courses! If I felt I needed that sort of power, I'd go down the oriental 4wd route.

Anyway, I reckon a well-sorted MINI with 220+ would be nipping at the Turbo's heels on anything but a smooth fast A-road with loads of long straights. But I'm still glad somebody's daft enough to manufacture it though!

JCWmini
30th October 2007, 06:20 PM
300bhp for £8K? OK. THEN you've got to have the suspension, Rubber and Brakes to handle it....... add another few £K.... then insure it....... then add more for the tyres (and pants) you shred...... Then you lose your licence (or kill yourself) racing Jap road rockets (why have it if you don't use it - surely not just to 'Bench Race' down the pub?) Then when you get fed up with it (eventually you will - you get used to anything) you sell it at a big loss to a 21 year-old who wraps it round a tree a week later......

I saw this Turbo conversion a while back, and while it's pretty cool, I'd rather have 210bhp for half the dosh - plus the fact there's always that tuned Evo or Scooby who'll take you to the cleaners on a damp road..... then think how p*ssed you'd be...... Horses for courses! If I felt I needed that sort of power, I'd go down the oriental 4wd route.

Anyway, I reckon a well-sorted MINI with 220+ would be nipping at the Turbo's heels on anything but a smooth fast A-road with loads of long straights. But I'm still glad somebody's daft enough to manufacture it though!

Your spot on, in the realy world its pointless, if you need speed then buy a bike, even a 500bhp mini would get spanked by my 10 for only £9k

If you need a big bhp car then get an Evo and spend £8k on it, then you have a car that will at least have some sort of chance of putting the power down.

Its not really what the mini is about.

The Dogfather
30th October 2007, 06:25 PM
I'd rather go for handling ability over power any day, especially after owning the Brabus for 12 months.

Gismo
31st October 2007, 06:19 AM

Everything's relative, if we were all the same we'd all have loud exhausts :rolleyes:

Your spot on, in the realy world its pointless, if you need speed then buy a bike, even a 500bhp mini would get spanked by my 10 for only £9k

If you need a big bhp car then get an Evo and spend £8k on it, then you have a car that will at least have some sort of chance of putting the power down.

Its not really what the mini is about.
Why is it pointless?? and if you're looking for more BHP why go for an Evo and then spend £8k on that, to me that's pointless ;)
There's no problems in getting the power down, you just need to learn to drive better :p

The Dogfather
31st October 2007, 07:44 AM
Alan, even for a good driver you'll very rarely be able to get the full 300bhp down. Most of the time you'll be driving the car at 70%. Its probably a waste of money the have that extra 30%. I would imagine torque steer would be horrendous.

It wouldn't be for me, I like to push my cars near to the limit. Probably wouldn't be able to so that with a 300 bhp MINI, plus the best thing about my Cooper was the fact you could play with the balance of the car by careful use of the power.

Gismo
31st October 2007, 08:36 AM
Alan, even for a good driver you'll very rarely be able to get the full 300bhp down
Then read this response i got, hairdresser boy :p from a very reputable tuner

Edit: i changed my reply as it wasn't the right one, suffice to say i got absolutely flamed on another mini site for daring to suggest that 300 BHP couldn't grip the road.

JCWmini
31st October 2007, 09:26 AM
Why is it pointless?? and if you're looking for more BHP why go for an Evo and then spend £8k on that, to me that's pointless ;)
There's no problems in getting the power down, you just need to learn to drive better :p

Sounds to me like you have never driven a proper fast car.

I probably use the full performance of my JCW 5% of the time on the road if that. Add another 100bhp and its would be less not more time at full throttle.

Not saying it wouldnt be fun for a day but no way is it worth the money.

Why go for an evo, well the whole car is designed around high bhp figures, so brakes, suspention are all there. The car is 4wd and will easily take a bump up in power. Still be pointless on the road 90% of the time, good fun at KH mind.

ELFMAN
31st October 2007, 10:04 AM
'If we were all the same, we'd all have loud exhausts.....'

Look Alan, it's a 'Pedestrian Safety Measure' - they don't step off the pavement in front of you. I'd argue that £ for £ in the 'fun' stakes, I reckon for most folks (on a normal budget) a good manifold and system for less than a grand kicks an £8K engine conversion well into touch......... OK, you won't be going as fast, but you'll be smiling just the same - which is surely what MINIS are all about?

I reckon I've spent just over £4K on 'power' upgrades (over 4 years), and I like the idea of gradually improving the car - always have.

All banter aside, I have to agree that the Turbo Conversion is (on paper) is a fairly good idea if you feel the need for big power (psychologists would have a field day with you though...), as the cost of an older 'S' is now very reasonable, you can pick a decent one up for £9K, so from that point of view, you could have a 300bhp MINI for £17K or so, plus the suspension, brakes, wheels, tyres, seats (roll cage?) etc - so you're looking at maybe £21K for what would be a stonking car...... I'd probably go for that versus buying a GP..... I'm just not convinced it'd be more fun day to day over a longer period than a well-sorted, less powerful car. I'm not against the idea, I just reckon it's a bit O.T.T. But as you say, it's all relative - 'Vive la difference!' as they say up our way.

Gismo
31st October 2007, 10:22 AM
Sounds to me like you have never driven a proper fast car.
What's one of them then :rolleyes: had a Subaru WR1, a previous 240BHP S and currently own an M3, still prefer to drive my wee MINI.
I also have a couple of bikes, i'm not looking at going mega fast, i just liked the look of that conversion.
I guess to quell any theories or suspicions, nope, i don't think it's worth the money, well, what i mean is, it's worth the money considering the development that went into it but it's a just a bit too pricey for me.

As Elfman suggested and i already mentioned, buying a good used standard S (or waiting for your current warranty to expire) and then chucking this on it would make for a great wee MINI.

It would likely need new suspension and brakes, but hey, some of us have already uprated them, so, everything in proportion :)