PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav

JCWmini
23rd October 2007, 10:44 PM
I have the mk3 CD sat nav, but wondered if i could buy the newer 2005 maps (on DVD) and copy the lot onto a CD and reload onto the system.

Anyone know if this will work?

:)

AndyP & Lenore
23rd October 2007, 11:00 PM
Hmmm. Not sure if that would work or not. It stands to reason that the maps are now dvd based because there's too much data to fit on a cd. Bear in mind the dvd discs carry the whole of europe on one disc. I would ask your dealer how much data is on a dvd. or better still - just get the latest cd with the latest map data from your dealer. Saves mucking around with cd's and dvd's.

to be honest i thought all mini's had dvd based sat nav. Didnt realise they did a cd version. Ours have always been dvd based.

JCWmini
23rd October 2007, 11:08 PM
Not sure the reason to change to DVD was becasue of the size of the files on the disk, but could be wrong. Also not sure if you can get the latest MAPs on CD, if you can then that would be the best option (expensive but best option)

Anyone know the size of the files on the DVD disk? Surely cant be more than 650MB

AndyP & Lenore
23rd October 2007, 11:34 PM
It could be down to speed of access right enough. When i get home tomorrow i'll stick my dvd in my pc and if it reads it i'll see if it reads the size on disk. Buying the map data from the dealer may be expensive but that is really the only (legal) way of getting the new maps. Honestly dont know if the latest maps are on cd though.

hogg88
24th October 2007, 12:00 AM
Don't buy the updated maps from dealer, expensive !!!! When i updated my maps i found out who made the disc then went to them direct, they just needed the info on the system you have.

Sorry can't give you the details as offshore at present.

JCWmini
24th October 2007, 07:24 AM
Thanks guys, i can buy thre disk second hand perfectly legally too.

Would be good to know the size of the files on the disk, if they will fit on a CD i might just take the chance of buying the DVD and see if it works.

I suppose i could always update to the DVD sat nav (chi-ching) :D

To be honest i dont really use the sat nav much but there have been so many changes to the roads over the past 5 years that it would be good to get an update.

The Dogfather
24th October 2007, 07:38 AM
The 'UK maps with main roads in Europe' Tom Tom maps (teleatlas I think) which are used by most manufacturer systems can fit on a 128Mb SD card.

Gismo
24th October 2007, 07:54 AM
i might just take the chance of buying the DVD and see if it works
If you have the CD based system then the DVD will not work.
There is a way to check what system you have, i can't remember off hand, but, you can check the display somehow, Martin Sullivan could help if he ever decides to post :rolleyes:

The DVD based system also gives you 3d views and loads more "features" not available on the CD one

JCWmini
24th October 2007, 04:33 PM
If you have the CD based system then the DVD will not work.
There is a way to check what system you have, i can't remember off hand, but, you can check the display somehow, Martin Sullivan could help if he ever decides to post :rolleyes:

The DVD based system also gives you 3d views and loads more "features" not available on the CD one

Really the DVD wont work on a CD system.

That will be why i want to know if the files are small enough to put on a CD!!

I KNOW I HAVE THE CD SYSTEM.

Earth to BS, I have the CD system. :p

Yes the 3d views etc are one of the reasons i would like to get the newer software.

Gismo
25th October 2007, 04:37 AM
I KNOW I HAVE THE CD SYSTEM.

Earth to BS, I have the CD system. :p
Oops :o i think there is too much info on the DVD to fit on a CD, but don't know for sure :rolleyes:

JCWmini
25th October 2007, 07:10 AM
Oops :o i think there is too much info on the DVD to fit on a CD, but don't know for sure :rolleyes:

Thats really what i want to find out befor i go and buy the DVD and try and swap it over to CD.

If i can get the DVD cheap enough i might just take a chance.