PDA

View Full Version : JCW Seats & Brakes

JCWmini
20th October 2007, 12:22 PM
Anyone fitted these retrospectivly to their car?

I quite fancy getting somthing with a bit more support. What do they cost new and anyone know if they can be picked up second hand.

Also fancy fitting the brakes, i have !7" R85 wheels, will the brakes fit under them ok? I have seent he kits for £640, is that about the best price for them?

Cheers :)

Ivano
20th October 2007, 01:01 PM
I think that is about the cost for the JCW brakes..... I looked at getting this done until i heard what it wouldv'e cost to get them fitted by the dealer. The think the labour cost was more than the price of the Brakes.... So i just left it.....

JCWmini
20th October 2007, 11:57 PM
I think that is about the cost for the JCW brakes..... I looked at getting this done until i heard what it wouldv'e cost to get them fitted by the dealer. The think the labour cost was more than the price of the Brakes.... So i just left it.....

To be honest they will be pretty easy to fit, 3 hrs max.

ELFMAN
21st October 2007, 03:49 PM
I have the JCW seats (in cloth) and the brakes (not cloth!) fitted to my 2003 'S'.

The seats are the JCW logo'd 'Sparco' ones for the 'older' MINIs, and are a VAST improvement over the standard seats - they hold you in place a treat. I wouldn't go back to the original seats. I reckon the Sparco ones are a bit tighter (and cheaper) than the current 'Recaro' JCW seats for the 'new' MINI - but I may be wrong, or just fat. However - you could fit 'non JCW' Sparco's or equvalent and probably save some cash...

Same for the brakes - the JCW's ARE better than the standard for resisting fade, and they fit inside my 16's - The JCW brakes fit any wheel from 16's upwards I think. (one of the main reasons I went for them), but if you're on 17's, that opens up a whole choice of aftermarket gear like 'AP' big brake set-ups, though you will need wheel spacers for some of these. You could end up with bigger, better brakes than the JCW's for the same money... Shop around! Hope that's helpful.

JCWmini
21st October 2007, 04:54 PM
I have the JCW seats (in cloth) and the brakes (not cloth!) fitted to my 2003 'S'.

The seats are the JCW logo'd 'Sparco' ones for the 'older' MINIs, and are a VAST improvement over the standard seats - they hold you in place a treat. I wouldn't go back to the original seats. I reckon the Sparco ones are a bit tighter (and cheaper) than the current 'Recaro' JCW seats for the 'new' MINI - but I may be wrong, or just fat. However - you could fit 'non JCW' Sparco's or equvalent and probably save some cash...

Same for the brakes - the JCW's ARE better than the standard for resisting fade, and they fit inside my 16's - The JCW brakes fit any wheel from 16's upwards I think. (one of the main reasons I went for them), but if you're on 17's, that opens up a whole choice of aftermarket gear like 'AP' big brake set-ups, though you will need wheel spacers for some of these. You could end up with bigger, better brakes than the JCW's for the same money... Shop around! Hope that's helpful.

Thanks thats great, i have leather and heated seats so would require the JCW seats to be similar, the standard ones are ok, not great not poor, but seats are an important factor for me in a car (nearly bought a Focus ST because of the seats!!) but if its tt much hassel i can live with the standard seats.

As for brakes, i havnt done much mileage yet but i feel they might be the weak link, they seem to require a fair bit of pressure to slow down. They are not confidance inspiring. The JCW kit seem not too bad value, thinking for next spring, get the winter out of these ones. Some of the other kits are over the £1000 mark which is getting steep and im not sure what difference they would make for road driving, will not be taking the mini out on the track, leave that for my zx10-r :D

hogg88
21st October 2007, 10:10 PM
Have had JCW brakes on both my Mini's and would say you can get better brakes cheaper than the JCW, you have to work them hard before you start notice the differance. I have them on as they match the rest of the JCW kit on the car (My car's as vain as me)

Had the JCW full leather seats in last mini and wish i had them again.

JCWmini
21st October 2007, 10:15 PM
Have had JCW brakes on both my Mini's and would say you can get better brakes cheaper than the JCW, you have to work them hard before you start notice the differance. I have them on as they match the rest of the JCW kit on the car (My car's as vain as me)

Had the JCW full leather seats in last mini and wish i had them again.

To be honest keeping the JCW's theme is one of the reasons too. :D

What other options are there for similar/less wedge?

ELFMAN
26th October 2007, 11:29 AM
Check out Modern MINI mag etc etc for Brakes etc, and phone folks like Lohen for advice.