PDA

View Full Version : Any Opera fans in the house?

AndyP & Lenore
16th October 2007, 12:01 AM
Completely off-topic, and a shameless plug of our business - sort of, but I thought I'd see what you guys thought of this....

As some of you know we have a Digital Projector installed in our cinema (which we're using for the Italian Job Movie MINI Run).;)

This digital Projector is capable of taking an input from anything that outputs a video signal - DVD player, X Box 360, PS3, Satellite receiver etc.

So, we've signed a license agreement with the Grand Metropolitan Opera House in New York City, to show 8 of their Saturday Matinee opera performances LIVE by satellite and shown in 1080i High Definition and digital 6-channel sound.

The performances run from Saturday 15th December and the last one is on Saturday 26th April.

The MET specify the ticket price of £25/£20! But we are doing early bird discounts of £22/£17.50.;)

I'm really not posting this to try and sell tickets (I'm not at all convinced there are any classical Opera fans in the club), but I just wanted to see what you guys thought of the idea.

A.:confused:

vintageb3
16th October 2007, 12:39 AM
I'm with the Big Yin on opera....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m__pVO__6oY

mark

AndyP & Lenore
16th October 2007, 12:56 AM
I'm with the Big Yin on opera....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m__pVO__6oY

mark

Absolute class. You can't beat The Big Yin when he's on form.

I'm only guessing, but I don't think the MET Opera's feature Billy Connolly.

A.;)

Burple
16th October 2007, 09:53 AM
Have to say I'm not a fan.. but it's a cracking idea :cool::D

If it were to prove popular I don't think there are many other places doing it round these parts?

Gismo
16th October 2007, 10:17 AM
Hmm, very close to commercial posting :rolleyes: :eek: :D
But, to answer your question, sorry, Opera does nowt for me ;)

AndyP & Lenore
16th October 2007, 10:19 AM
Have to say I'm not a fan.. but it's a cracking idea :cool::D

If it were to prove popular I don't think there are many other places doing it round these parts?

Most of the Picturehouses Cinema's, including the Cameo Edinburgh and Belmont Aberdeen. So that's just the three of us in Scotland.

I spoke with one of the Managers of one of the Picturehouse cinema's during the negotiation stage to get some feedback on last season. He says they had one customer who used to go to the Met to see the Saturday matinee performances when she was younger and lived in New York. Now she's married and lives over here she doesn't get the chance - obviously. So she came to all the performances they did last season and she says it actually a better experience than being there, because the Met is such a huge building, if you can't afford the $350 tickets, you're up in the gods and very disjointed from the stage. In the cinema, with the clever camerawork, you're right in front of the artistes.:cool:

A.:D

AndyP & Lenore
16th October 2007, 10:22 AM

Nor me.:rolleyes: Unless it feeds me for a few Saturday's over the winter.;)

It really wasn't a commercial post Alan. I really and genuinely just wanted some feedback from anyone who might be an opera fan.

A.;)

vintageb3
16th October 2007, 05:02 PM

Go on Bonnie...pull Mr Poole's post....blatant advertising if you ask me!!!!:D

mark

Gismo
16th October 2007, 05:28 PM
Go on Bonnie...pull Mr Poole's post....blatant advertising if you ask me!!!!:D

mark
Aye, well, he did say "shameless plug of our business", advertised HIS cinema and even gave out prices, if that's not advertising i don't know what is :eek: :rolleyes: :D :p

Scottie
16th October 2007, 05:35 PM
well I would say it be more a 50+ kinda thing something the like of my Mother and her pals would do although the ticket price might put them of a bit. Not many 20 to 50 age group going to do something special on a Saturday afternoon.

HTH.

AndyP & Lenore
16th October 2007, 06:01 PM
Aye, well, he did say "shameless plug of our business", advertised HIS cinema and even gave out prices, if that's not advertising i don't know what is :eek: :rolleyes: :D :p

I only gave out the prices because it's integral to obtaining feedback on the event. If everyone thought it was normal cinema prices they'd have a different perspective on it, as per, Scottiecoop's post.

A.;)

AndyP & Lenore
16th October 2007, 06:02 PM
well I would say it be more a 50+ kinda thing something the like of my Mother and her pals would do although the ticket price might put them of a bit. Not many 20 to 50 age group going to do something special on a Saturday afternoon.

HTH.

I would agree, it's much more a 50+ appeal.;)

A.:D

Gismo
16th October 2007, 08:50 PM
I only gave out the prices because it's integral to obtaining feedback on the event
Let the NMS members decide :D
Vote Here :D (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12895)

markyc
16th October 2007, 08:56 PM
I'm a MASSIVE opera fan :eek: :eek: ;)

ny152
16th October 2007, 09:44 PM
This ain't over till the fat lady sings :p.

Voted yes (but only cause I thought it was something to do with Opera web browser at the start) :o

Crombers
17th October 2007, 09:22 AM
I'm a MASSIVE opera fan :eek: :eek: ;)

Yeah me too :confused: :rolleyes:

tonyjac
17th October 2007, 12:05 PM
reading these comments make me want to ask if anyone has ever been to an opera i love opera been to la scala in milan a few times and seen all the greats .cavalaria rusticana from mascagni is my favorite .go on people give yourself a wee treat this christmas experience it for yourself;)

vintageb3
17th October 2007, 07:25 PM
cavalaria rusticana from mascagni is my favorite

Tony...

This is you will know was used in the Godfather III.

Pacino..my favorite method actor;)

Hey...foget about it:D

mark

tonyjac
17th October 2007, 08:26 PM
whatcha gonna do marco it was also used in de niros raging bull:D

N12 JLK
17th October 2007, 08:28 PM
Opera is pure deed brilliant man, Ah huv a that stuff in ma cd collection man.
La la la la la lala la, plunge plunge plunge mcnugget.

vintageb3
17th October 2007, 08:56 PM
whatcha gonna do marco it was also used in de niros raging bull:D

OK Paisan;) ...Ciao Tony!:)

mark