PDA

View Full Version : DVD

Steve74
18th February 2004, 09:13 PM
I've been thinking about getting an in-car DVD player and wondered if anyone had done this and had any advice. My car is an MCS with Nav and Harmon Kardon but no TV tuner.

Today I was told it would cost £2.5k to install a system which is quite a lot (clarion DVD head unit, new amp). They also said that they couldn't use the existing Nav screen as it had no TV tuner and therefore no Video inputs!

Does anyone know if it is possible to source a DVD player (no screen) and adaptor/box kit to connect to the in-car Nav as the sound is fine off the HK system and it would be a shame to not use the LCD screen. Or maybe someone has gone down this route and found a solution. Any help would be appreciated.

Wul
18th February 2004, 09:30 PM
I'm sure Bonnie Scotland had this kinda setup before he went't for a mobile cinema - once he gets up i'm sure he'll answer your querie.

Or email mikeythemini and ask him - www.newministuff.co.uk

Steve74
18th February 2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks Wul. I just spoke with Mike and NewMiniStuff and it will cost £1000 all in. Thats pretty good I think and all it takes is 2 pieces of kit and the DVD goes in the glovebox. Prob solved, cheers!

Gismo
19th February 2004, 05:51 AM
Steve, will you be using the sat nav screen for your display or are you insatlling a seperate head unit??
If going the head unit route and all you want is to watch DVD's then fit a PS2, best of both worlds :)
Check out mikeythemini's website for pictures of my install, includes headrest screens :cool:

Steve74
19th February 2004, 06:04 AM
I had a chat with Ray Smith today and they said that I couldnt change the headset without screwing up the Harmon Kardon. I would love a PS2 as I could play my GTA VC game in the car - only thing is if I get carried away and drive like the game :cool:

Gismo
19th February 2004, 06:09 AM
So, it's the expensive option of the sat nav screen connection then :eek: the price is allegedly due to come down in the summer once somebody makes a kit :p

Steve74
19th February 2004, 06:28 AM
Well thats what they said. Just thought though, after I spoke to Mike at Mini Spares about getting the Nav-TV kit and single DVD in the glovebaox (while retaining the Harmon Kardon) I just realised I could fit a PS2 as my DVD player. That would be cool but can you get a smaller in-car version of a PS2?

Gismo
19th February 2004, 06:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by Steve74
I just realised I could fit a PS2 as my DVD player. That would be cool but can you get a smaller in-car version of a PS2?The PS2 will fit in the glovebox, don't know if it would come out again without removing he whole thing, mine is on a shelf (no glovebox option).
You could always change it to have a shelf and sell the glovebox, get's complicated really quickly don't it :evil:
I assume you meant Mike at newministuff ;)

Steve74
19th February 2004, 06:39 AM
Thats right - long day - Mike at NewMiniStuff. I just realied though that to change a DVD I would have to use the controller! It seems like so much hassle - even my mobile phone has a rally game and touch screen and for a lot less money. Def going to go for the Nav-TV, just will have to decide on single dvd or ps2....

Gismo
19th February 2004, 09:43 AM
A PS2 will also fit under the passenger seat :)
No matter what kind of DVD system you go for there will be some kind of interface required to manipulate it, whether it's a remote control (Single DVD) or a cable type controller (PS2)
You gotta decide what is more useful to you :evil:

For the PS2 you will need a convertor to go from 12v to 240v to make it work, mikeythemini has all these bits, i think you can even get one to go inside the PS2 itself.

Steve74
19th February 2004, 05:55 PM
Did another bit of an internet hunt. You can buy a board to go inside the ps2 and a remote on/off if you want to install it in the boot. Also found out that you can buy one already kitted up for about £290! Having a ps2 in the car would be the coolest thing though as my job sometimes involves sitting around in the car waiting for people to turn up so a ps2 option would be excellent!:cool:

mikeythemini
20th February 2004, 03:42 AM
DVD changer is even better...6 or 10 disc

bpirie1000
25th February 2004, 05:06 PM
so you going for the t.v set?? What would be the chances of taking a few snap shots of the install.. wanting to get that done but Really don't have the pennies for it right now...

cheers Brian

Steve74
25th February 2004, 06:19 PM
bpirie1000, will def. bring it along on a mini-run once it's done. TV is included in the NavTV kit which allows the satnav screen to be used. The only problem is which DVD to watch first - Italian Job 1 or 2 :)

bpirie1000
8th March 2004, 05:02 PM
HAVE YOU GOT THE KIT YET???

JUST CAN'T WAIT TO GET MINE.....

are you installing yourself??
If so can you take Heaps of photos and of the leads that are required. Might be able to sort out a fabricated set for everyone from the likes of maplan.... always hope even though the chances are slim.....

Cheers Brian

Steve74
8th March 2004, 10:08 PM
Brian - will def take some photos, although the car is in for at least 10 days of warranty work! I'll get it done if just so I can watch the Italian Job!!

bpirie1000
5th April 2004, 03:46 PM
Into April Now Any further developments??

Gismo
5th April 2004, 03:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by bpirie1000
Into April Now Any further developments??Brian, check with mikeythemini on Mini2, i'm sure i spotted a post about a much cheaper alternative arriving shortly :)

bpirie1000
6th April 2004, 03:24 AM
cool will do.. Cheers Allan. Suppose I owe you a car wash now...?? Damn it..

Brian

bpirie1000
27th April 2004, 04:00 PM
Got the Kit Yet??

Sorry Like a kid waiting for xmas at the moment..

Just get boared waiting in traffic and hay can't miss the cartoons or neighbours...

cheers Brian

Steve74
27th April 2004, 09:49 PM
I've had quite a few problems with the car now and am a bit reluctant to spend any more money on it - it's a shame really as I may sell the MCS later this year so I think the DVD fit-out is gone unfortunately. I am about to fit an iPod and Sony p900 kit in though - essentials :D

bpirie1000
29th April 2004, 03:51 PM
alright Wish you luck with all yer problems.. But remember you have the mini bug and once you have it you'll always come back...

Least you can take an Ipod into another Vehicle if you change...

Cheers Brian