PDA

View Full Version : Tyre blow out has cost me

Scottie
15th October 2007, 08:30 PM
Was driving south on the M6 Friday night.

Now the overhead signs had a message up saying debris on road 50MPH.

the warning lights were on the side of the road also roughly for about 3 miles

THEN

Now no one was going 50MPH so keeping up with the flow of traffic on the outside lane;) travelling in the Jeep Allan behind me in the beemer.

Next thing I see (sitting a wee bit higher than the other cars) was a motor about 5 cars in front of me but in my lane swerving all over the place (dangerous) then the car behind that one doing the same etc etc etc so I had already started to slow down to about 55mph by the time the car in front of me a BMW touring swerved and chucked up the remainder ( about the whole size) of a lorry tyre that had blown. It flew up into the air swirling in the air in the split second I had with cars beside me I decide well there is no where for me to safely go to gripped the steering and slam the rubber hits me and thump, thump, thump ran over the top of it. Phew I thought that was more than lucky it came out the back of my car lying flat on the road and Allan was able to just run over the top of it without any problems. I phone him on the bluetooth we had a chat about it and how folks were driving stupid trying to avoid it when the trafiic was so dense. Anyway I get to where we were going jumps out the car go around to the front of the Jeep and that's when I realise I wasn't lucky.:( :( .

The rubber tyre had hit me on the front lower spoiler ripping it off breaking all the clips on the bumper and twisting the chrome spoiler air grill scoop.

Not only will I need a new lower spoiler but also a whole front bumper all because of the broken clips not to mention my air scoop. No idea where or who my spoiler hit.:eek:

AndyP & Lenore
15th October 2007, 08:34 PM
What a nightmare Fiona.:mad: :mad: :(

Insurance jobbie?:confused:

A.

Scottie
15th October 2007, 08:36 PM
What a nightmare Fiona.:mad: :mad: :(

Insurance jobbie?:confused:

A.

possible not sure how much a front bumper and all the bits will be for the Jeep. I do have NCB protected.

AndyP & Lenore
15th October 2007, 08:42 PM
possible not sure how much a front bumper and all the bits will be for the Jeep. I do have NCB protected.

I know what you mean. No doubt your excess will be a few hundred. And there's always this niggling thing in my mind when you have NCB Protection, if you do make a claim, are they gonna stick your main policy up anyway, come renewal time. Force you away from them.:o

I don't suppose it matters when marque of car you have these days, a new bumper is gonna sting.:mad:

A.:(

ianking
15th October 2007, 09:05 PM
Unlucky, but at least it was just a bumper. Imagine if a car was turned over as a result of trying to swerve the tyre.

My neighbour broke the bumper on his R56 Cooper D and thought it was going to cost him a fortune. I found one on ebay for him, in the right colour as well. Paid £80 for it and I fitted it on for him for some beers so it wasnt all that bad.
Why not try ebay as its amazing what you can find on there.

euan
15th October 2007, 09:12 PM
Nightmare Fi. That's one of the nightmares of motorways these days where there is just so much traffic about, your lucky you were in the Jeep and could see it coming.

Got hit on the windscreen by a huge stone on Sunday on the M40. Bricked myself at the time but can't find the mark. Then nearly got rear ended by a 300ZX driven by a 12 year old picking his nose and not paying attention in heavy traffic. Don't know who got the bigger scare - him seeing I'd stopped or me, seeing he wasn't! Someone he did though.

Scottie
15th October 2007, 09:14 PM
I know what you mean. No doubt your excess will be a few hundred. And there's always this niggling thing in my mind when you have NCB Protection, if you do make a claim, are they gonna stick your main policy up anyway, come renewal time. Force you away from them.:o

I don't suppose it matters when marque of car you have these days, a new bumper is gonna sting.:mad:

A.:(

I think my excess is either 150 or 200.

AndyP & Lenore
15th October 2007, 09:23 PM
I think my excess is either 150 or 200.

Hmmmm.

Could go either way then really.:confused:

vintageb3
15th October 2007, 09:32 PM
Just glad to hear that no one was hurt!

I'm sure the Jeep will get sorted...

Motorways are hell to drive on these days.

When did it become OK just to pull out...then stick on your indicator!!!!:mad: :mad:

mark

Scottie
15th October 2007, 09:38 PM
Just glad to hear that no one was hurt!

I'm sure the Jeep will get sorted...

Motorways are hell to drive on these days.

When did it become OK just to pull out...then stick on your indicator!!!!:mad: :mad:

mark

yip saw 3 accidents today. One just along the road from Stanstead and then another really bad one on the A14. They closed the road air ambulance took us ages to go round then only had to Q for over an hour on the start on the M6 because of everyone rubber necking at a Jag going off the road and hitting the verge.:mad: :mad:

Julz
16th October 2007, 03:50 PM
Not just motorways, wee back roads in the @rse end of!! Yesterday on my way to work, I trundle over the brow of a wee hill to see a stone (amount if times I've told this story it should be a boulder by now!!) sitting in the middle of the road that's come off of a tattie harvester! No time to swerve, bump, right under the wheels, closely followed by this very loud wheeeeeeeesssssssht noise! One blown tyre! So I pull over in what I consider to be a safe place, only to be passed by 23 cars (yes, I counted), 2 stopped! Now, what would you do?? Wee girlie, at the side of the road at 7.20am, with a child and a very obvious flat tyre?? Drive past seems to be the answer! I have no spare and tyre foam just came oot the gash in the tyre wall!! £118 later and we're going again! Bloomin' stupid size of tyres I've got that apparently only Audi use on their RS's!!

Anyway, as for your dilemma Fi, why can someone not just get off their butt and tidy the road up??? Glad you're ok but sorry to hear about your lovely Jeep!!:(

Gismo
16th October 2007, 04:12 PM
Maybe the speed warning was there for a reason :rolleyes: :D

Scottie
16th October 2007, 05:16 PM
Maybe the speed warning was there for a reason :rolleyes: :D

by the time I hit the tyre remains I was only doing 5mph over the 50mph suggested on the overhead and that's a maybe over by 5mph could have been doing less didn't really want to look at the GPS as I was more watching it all going on in the few seconds that I had.

If the police or no doubt vosa knew about the debris they should have been out doing a rolling road block until it all the debris was collected.

Anyway my excess is £300 and my NCB is protected (got 2 claims in 5 years so this is the first strike) anyway got the quote and insurance involved today as it will be £1500 to repair. The insurance asked if I got the number of the car that ran over the tyre in front of me. e'hh no.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The insurance guy is coming out to check the motor over and has already spoken to Burgoyne.

On a side note I am really glad that I declared everything to the insurance like mods colour coding speeding fines as thy seem to go over everything even down to who the car is registered to as it's in Allan's name on the V5 but the insurance is in my name.

markyc
16th October 2007, 08:50 PM
by the time I hit the tyre remains I was only doing 5mph over the 50mph suggested on the overhead and that's a maybe over by 5mph could have been doing less didn't really want to look at the GPS as I was more watching it all going on in the few seconds that I had.

If the police or no doubt vosa knew about the debris they should have been out doing a rolling road block until it all the debris was collected.

Anyway my excess is £300 and my NCB is protected (got 2 claims in 5 years so this is the first strike) anyway got the quote and insurance involved today as it will be £1500 to repair. The insurance asked if I got the number of the car that ran over the tyre in front of me. e'hh no.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The insurance guy is coming out to check the motor over and has already spoken to Burgoyne.

On a side note I am really glad that I declared everything to the insurance like mods colour coding speeding fines as thy seem to go over everything even down to who the car is registered to as it's in Allan's name on the V5 but the insurance is in my name.

Not good news at all Fi For us the priority doesn't get much higher for an incident like this on the motorway network or the A9. Patrol cars are sent out to the scene and one to the nearest junction in case a closure or rolling closure is needed Way to many really serious incidents are caused by debris :( ;)

Scottie
16th October 2007, 09:04 PM
Not good news at all Fi For us the priority doesn't get much higher for an incident like this on the motorway network or the A9. Patrol cars are sent out to the scene and one to the nearest junction in case a closure or rolling closure is needed Way to many really serious incidents are caused by debris :( ;)

I agree looking back on it now we were really lucky.

1st that none of the cars doing the dangerous driving to avoid it caused an accident.

2nd that it didn't cause the Jeep to do anything silly.

3rd and by no way last it didn't damage my E36 cause then I would have been really gutted ok it was just the 30k+ Jeep that got it but if my 9 year old E36 got damage I would no be happy.:D

illegalhunter
16th October 2007, 09:06 PM
Thats a bummer Fi

Crombers
17th October 2007, 09:31 AM
With the amount of burst (mainly truck) rubber lying at the side of the road , this is obviously someting that happens a lot & I,m sure there have been many accidents and near misses as a result of this. Glad you are OK Fiona.