PDA

View Full Version : Broadband providers

duncan
12th October 2007, 07:40 PM
I'm currently with Virgin, on ADSL - not Cable.

They're really beginning to annoy me, with speeds in the evening averaging 400Kbps. Not bad for an up to 8 Mbps service.

Anyway, thinking of going to BT Total Broadband Option 3. Same money, but a few extras thrown in - Home Hub phone, WiFi minutes, and free Norton.

Anyway, does anyone have any horror stories about them, or suggestions as to a really good provider, with consistently good speeds in the evening?

AndyP & Lenore
12th October 2007, 08:00 PM
Duncan, I'm with BT Broadband. Have been since broadband was available in Galashiels. Must be 3 or 4 years now.

Never once had a single problem with them.;)

Just checked my speeds on a few speedtester sites including BT's own one. Getting about 1.5mbps. Not bad as I only pay for the "Up to 2mbps" service. I live a fair way from the exchange and I do get constant invitations from BT to upgrade to their "Up to 8Mbps" service. But of course the small print says that as I'm a fair bit from the exchange I'm unlikely to see any difference.:rolleyes:

But overall, I can't fault BT.:D

A.:D

illegalhunter
12th October 2007, 09:02 PM
Iam with Tesco £19 a month 2.2mb

PACMAN
13th October 2007, 02:48 PM
i/m with Pipex 8mb ... 8.99pm ... and never had a problem with them yet :D

N12 JLK
13th October 2007, 04:47 PM
Had a problem with BT when first connected to Broadband in this house. Engineer was out in a few hours and sorted the line.

No probs since then. Was with Tiscali who had a lot of down time.

The Bull
13th October 2007, 09:54 PM
I've been with Freedom2Surf (http://www.freedom2surf.net) for over 2 years now without a hitch. £13.99 a month for what is meant to be 1/2 Gig of download. I'm consistently well over that (they have a great members page where you can see how much you have used,etc) and they have never charged me for any additional data. They also give me 200 MB of webspace with database which I host my own website on (www.the-bull.net (http://www.the-bull.net)). This would cost me about the same again if I was to host it elsewhere.

To be honest there are a lot of good ISPs and deals out there at the moment. A lot of people I know have gone with the Sky package recently as it's pretty hard to beat if you actually have Sky TV already. They provide a nifty Netgear wireless router for free which is usually £60-£70 and also give pretty good connection speeds.

This is a good impartial website to help you decide. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/

Gismo
14th October 2007, 09:22 AM
I've been with BT Broadband for years, must be at least 6 years.
Anyway, i've got the option you're looking at, Option 3. I don't use the wireless cause i've got Cat5 cable throughout the house and won't go wireless for my own safety reasons.

I have the 8Mbps connection, but, like Andy, i was only confirmed as being able to receive 5Mbps guaranteed cause i live away from the servers, but, i fluctuate between 7 and 8 Mbps.

I can't remeber any faults and any time i have called them, it's free, no premium rate calls and any calls were answered immediately by proper spoken folks that i can understand, so, no redirect to India etc.