PDA

View Full Version : What car will you buy next?

vintageb3
8th October 2007, 11:41 PM
OK...I take it because you are reading this on NMS...you have a Mini?

Lets keep answers to this strictly to reality...first mention of veyron or Lambo or whatever...and ye will be cast down:D

Just for interest sake:

1. Would you buy a R56? If yes...why?....If not, why?

2. What make and model of vehicle would you consider buying next?

This could be interesting;)

mark

Scottie
8th October 2007, 11:51 PM

mark

No.
and next car would be a

E46 M3

vintageb3
8th October 2007, 11:57 PM
I knew you would be the first to answer :)

Craig should be next;)

mark

AndyP & Lenore
9th October 2007, 12:04 AM
I knew you would be the first to answer :)

Craig should be next;)

mark

Wrong.

But we've no plans to change either car for some time.

A.;)

vintageb3
9th October 2007, 12:04 AM
Craig SHOULD be next...I didn't say he WILL be next;)

mark

AeroJonny
9th October 2007, 12:44 AM
Still no sign of the big man!

I'd consider an R56, but I'm not sure if I fancy another MINI right now. For me, it all depends on which career path I enter in the next couple of months in terms of how much I'll be earning and where I'm going to be living. I'm thinking that my options are: a supercharged jcw cooper s, a 3 year old Z4 3.0 or an Audi S3 (roughly 1 year old). I'd love the S3, but it'll probably be a jump too far in terms of cost to change.

s12cot
9th October 2007, 07:57 AM
no the r56 - just not my cup o tea

Elise or TVR Tamora next, should have been this year but just bought another house instead....

FergusM
9th October 2007, 08:26 AM
Quite fancy a BMW 335i

ianking
9th October 2007, 08:33 AM
All ready got an R56 and prob wont be getting another.

Next time either a 130 M Sport, or a Golf GTI or an A3.

aid
9th October 2007, 08:57 AM
prob would consider a R56 if it was the right spec

as for next car prob a tvr or bmw 335ci m sport

Burple
9th October 2007, 09:48 AM
Very probably not an r56, unless they really sort out the looks. Thay just don't do it for me like the older ones.

Possibly a post facelift, pre-r56 'S' next... saw an ad for the new 1 series coupe last night, it's looking quite nice now..

..or I've always fancied a Scooby.. ;) but the amount of zoom juice that would use might be ridiculous.

Crombers
9th October 2007, 01:25 PM
Currently juggling between a Polo, Mazda2 (the new un) or a Pug207.
I am however planning a change in career ;)

The Dogfather
9th October 2007, 01:32 PM
The Smart has a problem with the clutch and we're having problems getting merc to recognise the problem. The warranty runs out at the end of the month (only 2 years on smarts) and I don't want to be left paying out for a new clutch.

Currently looking at the new MX5 (and the older model as its so cheap), I really loved my old MX5 and if we can't get the Smart sorted then I might head back to the hairdresser special.

Wouldn't consider a R56 at the moment they're too expensive and from what I can gather unreliable.

AndyP & Lenore
9th October 2007, 01:33 PM
Wouldn't consider a R56 at the moment they're too expensive and from what I can gather unreliable.

Not all of them Paul, but let's not start that debate again.;)

A.:D

The Dogfather
9th October 2007, 01:33 PM
Crombers - the Mazda 2 looks good for a normal car........

The Dogfather
9th October 2007, 01:41 PM
Not all of them Paul, but let's not start that debate again.;)

I've seen two broken down at the side of the road in the last two months, both being attended to by a break down wagon. Not a good advert.

AndyP & Lenore
9th October 2007, 01:42 PM
I've seen two broken down at the side of the road in the last two months, both being attended to by a break down wagon. Not a good advert.

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Burple
9th October 2007, 02:09 PM
Currently looking at the new MX5 (and the older model as its so cheap), I really loved my old MX5 and if we can't get the Smart sorted then I might head back to the hairdresser special.

Did you miss this one?

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12737

;);):D:D

euan
9th October 2007, 02:15 PM
Won't be getting an R56 next, though might get an older style MINI for the missus car.

My next car won't be changed for a while as I've only had the BMW for 6 months, but will likely be another 3 series, just not sure which yet - always liked the new style 330d touring in black with rear tints, just so expensive!

Gismo
9th October 2007, 03:09 PM
Defo not an R56, any car that does not allow me to change the stereo is no use to me, besides, i don't like the look of the car or like the turbo power delivery, add in the fact that BMW are very reluctant to admit there are "faults" sways against it

Next car, i would like the 335i M Sport :cool:

The Dogfather
9th October 2007, 03:26 PM
Did you miss this one?

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12737

;);):D:D

I'd seen them before, mental! Hate to pay the running costs though.

nobbyclark
9th October 2007, 03:28 PM
Keeping my 02 Mini for the foreseeable. Would like to change my D3 for a higher specced one, but the missus is not giving the green light.

sedgie
9th October 2007, 04:42 PM
A Z4 or a Audi TT....but not just yet....no saved the cash up:o ...so i'll have to keep the mini for a wee bit longer

vintageb3
9th October 2007, 05:24 PM
I mean no offense to R56 owners with this post.

I think the R56 is a nice car.

But when I look at one...I feel like saying what many of the classic Mini guys said about the R50 when it came out..."It's not really a Mini is it?"

I do feel personally that the R50 isn't really a Mini either in a classic sense....but I think the design team did actually capture enough of the spirit of the classic to get your head turning when one passed.

I remember seeing the R50 when it came out...and it was the case of "WOW!!!!! I WANT ONE!!!" Didn't matter what model it was...they all looked great!

I think the face lift made a very pleasant change to that model.

When I saw the first R56...it was a case of "Oh...hmmm what have they done?" In other words...there was no "Wow" factor for me personally.

The R56 is, in so many ways, similer to the R50 when its heading towards you on a motorway. As soon as I realize its a R56...my eyes go back to watching where I'm going.

I personally don't feel that BMW have as strong a product with the R56.

The main reason for this I think is really down to the fact that the R56...is yet an other step away from the original Mini. I know why they said they had to make changes..i.e. to comply with regulations and so forth...but I think they should have had more continuity when they moved onto the R56.

I reckon in the next five years....there's a good chance most of the folks on this forum will have moved away from the 'new' Mini. I think at that stage, the people that frequent this list most...will probably all be driving the same motor now...or different motors...but will still want to go on Mini runs:D

We may get to the point where there's a couple of Mini's on the run and a whole load of other cars in the mix....and mainly because of the friendships built up over this forum.

I think in one way that's sad....but in an other way it's quite a nice thought that friendships can outlast a marketing trend;)

I won't have a R56 unless BMW do something drastic with the lights...the grille...and the engine.

I would probably be looking at a convertible Porsche next. Although I am BMW through and through...BMW don't have anything that turns my head at present.

Porsche...yes I know...yet an other hairdressers car:rolleyes:

mark

stoney
9th October 2007, 05:39 PM
well i dont think i would have the r56 i like the supper charger on the r50/53

next car i think well i would like a mini cooper s GP or a honda s2000 lovely car or the z4 coop the hard top one would like it 2 me the m sport but no chance of that :D :D

and mark i think your right about peps selling there minis and still want to go on the runs i for one would as i have brill fun and like the peps that attend :D :D :D

KenL
9th October 2007, 05:42 PM
Some of you people are sooooooooooo stuck in the past, the R56 is a lot better looking inside and out than the R50 ;)

As toy MINI not admitting faults, the R56 is certainly no worse than the R50 was (much better IMO), did they admit faults then?

Craig
9th October 2007, 05:47 PM
Well Mark, it took me a while to get here, but you posted when I was in my bed and I've just got back from work... ;)

Would I buy another R56 ? No, and for lots of reasons... :(

Next car? depends really on how long I have to keep this R56 before I can just about break even...

Once it's gone I hope to buy another MINI, but it may just be a second car (so look for a real good early example) and the main car will be a 4 x 4 like a Navarra, L220 Warrior or Hilux Invicible or maybe a Series 2 Discovery.. ;) :D

zimbo
9th October 2007, 06:08 PM
The same as the big man above me said, I wouldnt mind a Hilux or L200 or something along those lines BUT road tax from next year is going to be a KILLER for they sort of motors :mad:

Really like the new TT & A3/S3 as well, but it's all going to depend on how the job front goes, coz the money I'm on @ the moment is a joke :eek: (so offshore might be on the cards again... IF THEY'LL TAKE ME.:D)

KenL
9th October 2007, 06:10 PM
The same as the big man above me said, I wouldnt mind a Hilux or L200 or something along those lines BUT road tax from next year is going to be a KILLER for they sort of motors :mad:

...and quite right too ;)

Gorbash12346
9th October 2007, 07:34 PM
in all honesty i'd like it to be an e46 m3 or e39 M5 or if i can find one a active autowerke supercharged 540I but this won't be for another 2 years by which time i may or may not have changed my mind

N12 JLK
9th October 2007, 08:54 PM
Will be keeping our R56 cooper S for a while yet as we love it:)
Dont know if we will get another MINI though, I feel the whole mini bubbles starting to burst and it just hasnt got the same feel about it anymore:(

Fancy a 1 series Msport,
bet I get a chilli red S:o

duncan
9th October 2007, 09:29 PM
My Facelifted R50 is going to be 3 in March, so its decision time soon.

Currently, I'm thinking of extending the warranty - its only got 14,500 on the clock, and i'm not using it much. When I did 2,500 miles on the first Oxford Run, and then to Switzerland its 12,000 miles in 2 and a half years!

If I was going to get rid, I'd go for something smaller. I'd like a look at the small Smart, or Toyota Aygo new, or maybe something a bit bigger in the shape of a used VW Golf TDi.

My dad has a Passat Estate for the trips through to Ikea if I need it.

Neil and Lorna
9th October 2007, 10:30 PM
Well both our cars are up for renewal between now and next septemberish.

Been looking at the new shape of the Scooby Impreza ( is that how you speel it I'm no sure) only been looking on the Internet but will be taking a look in the showrooms, when its in. This is to replace our Lexus RX 300. Or we may just go or another RX as we love the one we've got just now.

On the MINI front still waiting for the final details of the factory R56 JCW.

Other options are a Clubman but again were waiting untill we've had a close look.

I really cant make my mind up, which is driving Lorna mad.

Neil.:D :D :D

sedgie
9th October 2007, 10:52 PM
Well both our cars are up for renewal between now and next septemberish.

Been looking at the new shape of the Scooby Impreza ( is that how you speel it I'm no sure) only been looking on the Internet but will be taking a look in the showrooms, when its in. This is to replace our Lexus RX 300. Or we may just go or another RX as we love the one we've got just now.

On the MINI front still waiting for the final details of the factory R56 JCW.

Other options are a Clubman but again were waiting untill we've had a close look.

I really cant make my mind up, which is driving Lorna mad.

What does Lorna want!???:D :D :D :D :D :D

Sheilz
9th October 2007, 11:08 PM
I was thinking of an R56 just because of specy's mileage (100750):eek: but after reading about the different problems some people have had with them I'm sticking with specy and will not part with him until I absolutely must. Apart from the rear wiper beginning to play up, still behaving like the very good wee boy he is. :cool::D:D:D I'd be gutted if I invested a lot of money in a car to find it riddled with problems. Anyway I don't like their bums and the range of colours seems to be quite boring.
Agree with the comment about the bubble bursting. In Aberdeen the mini drivers I see all look like a right miserable bunch o ******. Occasionally catch the odd one showing interest as specy passes but most look as if their mini is just another car to them. They look like if given a choice they'd prefer to run you doon rather than wave or flash. not being judgemental or anything like :rolleyes::(:o

AndyP & Lenore
9th October 2007, 11:30 PM
What does Lorna want!???:D :D :D :D :D :D

<<<<Sniggers. You know them well. LOL:D :D :D

ny152
10th October 2007, 12:31 AM
Intend holding on to the Dooper for at least 3 years. Then I'll take a look at either the Clubman or maybe the Fiat 500. Or perhaps drop down to a Pug 107 if they do a diesel by then.

I've went through lots of cars, big and small. Now favour small cars for their character and economy. Right now the MINI gives me the best ratio of value+mpg+fun.

The Dogfather
10th October 2007, 12:52 AM
I used to love small cars then I got the Veccy, the extra space is a real luxury plus the 3.0 V6 is a cracker of an engine.

I saw a new (pre reg) 407 Coupe 2.7 V6 twin turbo D for 18k, I don't really like pugs but that seems a lot of car for the money

Duncan Stewart
10th October 2007, 01:38 PM
Really impressed by the R56 engines better fuel economy. I'm not sure about the new look but Helen loves the look of the "Fat Minis" as she calls them :D

My next car will be another MINI but not sure which one
Cooper D - cheap road tax and fuel costs but £1200 more than a petrol Cooper and depreciates more than other Minis (according to price guides I've read)
Cooper S - road tax and fuel less than my current Cooper :eek: but expensive to buy and insure, big wheels and no spare wheel

So looks like an R56 Cooper but not in a hurry to change as my current Cooper has been reliable and has lowish miles (for me!) due to me having the use of some other cars over the last few years

Crombers
10th October 2007, 01:55 PM
Crombers - the Mazda 2 looks good for a normal car........

Yeah I reckon so. It actually was'ny on my radar but I stumbled across one when having a close look at the 207. It cetainly ticks all the boxes for looks & most importantly, practicality.

I should however have mentioned that me Coop will be going nowhere & as stated in my sig we will be mates for years to come. She has now covered 47000 miles since new (June 04) & will hopefully be retiring from daily service within the next year. I've even found her an excellent retirement home ;) :D

She might even get pampered from time to time as well :cool:

The Dogfather
10th October 2007, 09:37 PM
Now a Mazda2 MPS would be cool, BTW glad to hear you're keeping the Cooper I thought you'd lost the plot for a second

AndyP & Lenore
10th October 2007, 10:22 PM
Some of you people are sooooooooooo stuck in the past, the R56 is a lot better looking inside and out than the R50 ;)

As toy MINI not admitting faults, the R56 is certainly no worse than the R50 was (much better IMO), did they admit faults then?

Sort of agree with you there Ken.

There's too much of what we call in the Borders "It's aye been" going on.

"It's aye been MINI's had the same look, and how dare B M W change that."

Stuff it. Move on. Things change. IMHO, there's absolutely no reason the New New New MINI should be identical to the classic. If that were the case, what would be the point in it being NEW!?!?

A.;)

Scottie
10th October 2007, 10:55 PM
Sort of agree with you there Ken.

There's too much of what we call in the Borders "It's aye been" going on.

"It's aye been MINI's had the same look, and how dare B M W change that."

Stuff it. Move on. Things change. IMHO, there's absolutely no reason the New New New MINI should be identical to the classic. If that were the case, what would be the point in it being NEW!?!?

A.;)

there is certainly things better about the R56 and that I like more than the previous model the Side/Fog Lights design and look.

However the R56 is a bit like having my favorite Pizza from Pizza Express I love it always choose it from the menu until some plonker somewhere in their management decides to alter the ingredients. It says on the menu the new and improved Pizza but once ordered and tasted you find out you much preferred the original version. However the guy in the next table ordered the exact same Pizza and much prefers it to the original. It's all down to a personal opinion.

I was a original original mini owner from 1980 who sold their car and collected the new MINI right after it's launch and again I got a new new MINI right after it's launch. Now I know you Andy didn't have a mini and indeed didn't buy a MINI until after it had been out a year or two so your not really a mini mini from original to present sort of guy or that minis runs in your blood, you have to accept that for some people it's all about evolving from the original mini. I remember when I was at Mini40 at Silverstone when they unvaled part of the MINI and how they went out of their way to get the message over that the car was a direct descendant of mini but the MINI is now going more BMW and I dare say will continue to.

john
10th October 2007, 11:09 PM
Quite fancy a new 330d Touring:)

The Dogfather
10th October 2007, 11:10 PM
The new MINI's heritage and connection was lost when BMW ditched Rover. At least the R50 had some Rover input (they designed all the bits that rattled):p.

The MINI name lives on but its basically a BMW, but not that's a bad thing.

Scottie
10th October 2007, 11:15 PM
The new MINI's heritage and connection was lost when BMW ditched Rover. At least the R50 had some Rover input (they designed all the bits that rattled):p.

The MINI name lives on but its basically a BMW, but not that's a bad thing.

your right but BMW don't see it that way they still want to link it right back to mini and keep away from BMW why do you think the Mini Touring is getting called the Clubman to keep the link

but we all know the true Clubman had the square front so no real link there but obviously BMW have decided to square the back off a bit and call it clubman.;)

AndyP & Lenore
10th October 2007, 11:54 PM
there is certainly things better about the R56 and that I like more than the previous model the Side/Fog Lights design and look.

However the R56 is a bit like having my favorite Pizza from Pizza Express I love it always choose it from the menu until some plonker somewhere in their management decides to alter the ingredients. It says on the menu the new and improved Pizza but once ordered and tasted you find out you much preferred the original version. However the guy in the next table ordered the exact same Pizza and much prefers it to the original. It's all down to a personal opinion.

I was a original original mini owner from 1980 who sold their car and collected the new MINI right after it's launch and again I got a new new MINI right after it's launch. Now I know you Andy didn't have a mini and indeed didn't buy a MINI until after it had been out a year or two so your not really a mini mini from original to present sort of guy or that minis runs in your blood, you have to accept that for some people it's all about evolving from the original mini. I remember when I was at Mini40 at Silverstone when they unvaled part of the MINI and how they went out of their way to get the message over that the car was a direct descendant of mini but the MINI is now going more BMW and I dare say will continue to.

I know what you mean Fi, about the Pizza analogy etc. That bugs me too for about 10 mins until you get used to the new recipie etc., and then you forget it was ever different.

However, MINI's going more BMW??? In what way? Looks. Naw. Quality? Probably. At the end of the day the MINI is marketed as a "Premiuim" small car. BMW is a premium brand.

The only gripe I have with our MINI is, once again, BMW/MINI have dumped us with a navigation system so convoluted in its execution as to make it almost impossible to use. The wee twiddly thingy behind the gear selector is a nice idea, but why not just make the frikking thing touch screen? So much easier in our FL2. It's a dream to use. Anyway, don't want to drift off topic - was just pointing out that I accept that although it's a premium brand, they are not infallible.

Still not sure how the MINI going more BMW is a bad thing in the long run.

It's evolving.;)

A.:D ;)

Scottie
11th October 2007, 12:38 PM
I know what you mean Fi, about the Pizza analogy etc. That bugs me too for about 10 mins until you get used to the new recipie etc., and then you forget it was ever different.

However, MINI's going more BMW??? In what way? Looks. Naw. Quality? Probably. At the end of the day the MINI is marketed as a "Premiuim" small car. BMW is a premium brand.

The only gripe I have with our MINI is, once again, BMW/MINI have dumped us with a navigation system so convoluted in its execution as to make it almost impossible to use. The wee twiddly thingy behind the gear selector is a nice idea, but why not just make the frikking thing touch screen? So much easier in our FL2. It's a dream to use. Anyway, don't want to drift off topic - was just pointing out that I accept that although it's a premium brand, they are not infallible.

Still not sure how the MINI going more BMW is a bad thing in the long run.

It's evolving.;)

A.:D ;)

yeh but look at the Milky Way Bar it's never been the same since they changed it.

harryboy22002
11th October 2007, 12:47 PM
:confused: think it would be cooper s top range or audi tt?????
just my twopence worth.
harry.

sav112gla
11th October 2007, 01:03 PM
yeh but look at the Milky Way Bar it's never been the same since they changed it.

Oh feck you mean it was just not me....Sad but true I used to like a Milky way and milk but it was never the same!

Gaz B
11th October 2007, 02:22 PM
My next change will be the middle of next year.Hopefully be becuse the missus is pregnant.(fingers crossed)And i'm sure you will agree you could'nt get a jumbo pampers in the boot of a mini far less a buggy.
With that in mind an Audi A4 avant s-line is on the card for me.I have always liked them.:cool:
We did look at a R56 cooper s in pepper white,but a quick look to the future put paid to that idea.;)

Sweeney
11th October 2007, 09:36 PM
Shall let you know when i pick *it* up come march ;)
Haven't settled for one yet but the decisions will be getting made soon :D

And no, it isn't a mini of any kind :rolleyes:

sedgie
11th October 2007, 10:05 PM
Shall let you know when i pick *it* up come march ;)
Haven't settled for one yet but the decisions will be getting made soon :D

And no, it isn't a mini of any kind :rolleyes:

LOLOLOL:p ;) :D

illegalhunter
11th October 2007, 10:13 PM
The JDM Civic Type R

Coop
14th October 2007, 04:38 PM
Im not changing until the spring time but either a JCW 'S' or maybe go for a 3 series coupe or TT. I wouldn't go for the R56 purely ecause of looks, but that opinion may change with time as there is no doubt it is a great car.

harryboy22002
28th November 2007, 06:06 PM

Lets keep answers to this strictly to reality...first mention of veyron or Lambo or whatever...and ye will be cast down:D

Just for interest sake:

1. Would you buy a R56? If yes...why?....If not, why?

2. What make and model of vehicle would you consider buying next?

This could be interesting;)

mark
got my clubman last week / love it .

sedgie
28th November 2007, 11:01 PM
Well i had a clubman for 3 hours today!....and i will not be buying it....looks emmm nah....drive....emmm no for me....looks like i'll hae meh wee cooper s for a wee bit;) :D

niknax
28th November 2007, 11:39 PM
Well i had a clubman for 3 hours today!....and i will not be buying it....looks emmm nah....drive....emmm no for me....looks like i'll hae meh wee cooper s for a wee bit;) :D

fffhhewwwww i thought you were gonna say your were gettin one....grannie car eh :D :D :D

nobbyclark
29th November 2007, 08:40 AM
Since my original post of "keeping the Mini", I am now considering a ScoobyDoo.

The Dogfather
29th November 2007, 10:21 AM
Since my original post of "keeping the Mini", I am now considering a ScoobyDoo.

Wow, you must be really rich. Fuel and repairs would put most people into the poor house.

S7JGW
29th November 2007, 03:40 PM
Im intending on keeping my Cooper S for a while yet. Still nae sure on the R56. Not sure on the clubman either, but it would make a cracking van if they done it with panels instead of windows.
Jim

Big Gordy
30th November 2007, 09:19 AM
Wow, you must be really rich. Fuel and repairs would put most people into the poor house.

Honda type R's seem to be in the same bracket if you look at deerslayer's fuel consumption post:eek: ;) :D

Big Gordy
30th November 2007, 09:26 AM
We will probably keep the mini forever:D (I had my XR2 for 16 years:eek: ) as its our 2nd car and hardly does any miles:o The A4 will be changed in 4-5 years time with something like a new shape TT or S2000 as by that time the need for a bigger car will be less critical......I hope:rolleyes: Like everything tho.....its all down to available money:D

harryboy22002
30th November 2007, 01:51 PM
:D
took delivery of my clubman last week traded in my cooper o6 plate
more than happy needed the extra room for my wee jack russell
harryboy

KenL
30th November 2007, 04:48 PM
:D
took delivery of my clubman last week traded in my cooper o6 plate
more than happy needed the extra room for my wee jack russell
harryboy

You needed to buy a bigger car for a Jack Russell, is he a cross with a Great Dane or something :D

Hope you like your Clubman :)

N12 JLK
30th November 2007, 07:09 PM
After going to see the one series last week and trying to imagine myself with it.......no way will I ever be without a MINI. Just can't imagine it.

I love my car sooooooooooooooooo much I can't help but smile when I see it.

So, yes my next car will be another MINI and probably the one after that and so on and so on. :D :D

PASL
30th November 2007, 08:21 PM
Planing on getting EVO FQ 340 MR next year and keeping the GP

Paul...

Sweeney
30th November 2007, 08:26 PM
Youll stop using the gp once you get the evo. Trust me, brothers got a MR320 and its a bloody car and a half ;)

Ill be picking my car up mid jan, decided not to wait for reg to change to 08 :D

Aberdeen Al
30th November 2007, 10:17 PM
Keeping the R53 S for a long time yet.............................but have been looking at a Subaru Impreza STi or an Audi RS4 :D

The Dogfather
30th November 2007, 10:37 PM
Jackie's decided she wants a Fiat 500 next, she'll have to wait till the Abarth comes out though........

s12cot
4th December 2007, 09:31 AM
scooby WRX ...... picking it up in a week or so....