PDA

View Full Version : The Apollo Missions.

AndyP & Lenore
7th October 2007, 12:15 AM
As someone who was just a twinkle in my Daddy's eye at the time of the first Moon landings - and all the landings thereafter, the closest experience to this feat was Apollo 13 movie with Tom Hanks. And then they didn't even land.:rolleyes:

So I've always had a kind of absent fascination with the Moon.

So a few months ago I picked up a book called "A Man on the Moon: The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts" by Andrew Chaikin.

Fascinating book. Goes into real depth about the whole NASA programme from the Gemini missions to the final Apollo mission. The author has obviously spent a fair bit of time interviewing the astronauts and reviewing the missions.

Every mission is documented in great details from launch to landing back on Earth.;)

If you're interested in the Apollo missions, you'll love this book.

A.:D

vintageb3
7th October 2007, 01:12 AM

Do you get all hairy under a full moon?:eek:

mark

(I have set this up nicely)

AndyP & Lenore
7th October 2007, 01:21 AM
Do you get all hairy under a full moon?:eek:

mark

(I have set this up nicely)

AAAAAAAAAAAwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

A:D

vintageb3
7th October 2007, 09:03 AM
That's the one;)

mark

The Dogfather
7th October 2007, 09:17 AM
I bet LnL will be along soon saying the never went to the moon.

I don't really care if they went to the moon or not, now if they ploughed that sort of money into tackling poverty in their own country that would be an achievement.

Still the film was great........

Scottie
7th October 2007, 10:37 AM
Andy you should read Two sides of the Moon by David Scott & Alexei Leonov. Its about the first men going into space and the Cold war space race.

Paul: You should go into the Nasa website and look at what has been given to us by going into space. Everything from communications satellites to pharmaceuticals and medical advancements and alot more.

AndyP & Lenore
7th October 2007, 10:46 AM
Andy you should read Two sides of the Moon by David Scott & Alexei Leonov. Its about the first men going into space and the Cold war space race.

Paul: You should go into the Nasa website and look at what has been given to us by going into space. Everything from communications satellites to pharmaceuticals and medical advancements and alot more.

Aye, Fiona that looks a good read. I'll probably buy it an stick it on my TBR pile. Maybe get round to it next year. Pile is waaaaay too high just now.

Mini Me
7th October 2007, 11:29 AM
If i was being honest, i'm still not convinced the first landing on the moon actually took place...
Could be to much TV and Internet , but there's alot to say it aint true, and we all know the yanks are full of sh1t....

Just ma opinion peeps:o
I'm allowed one today cos the wife's oot;)

AndyP & Lenore
7th October 2007, 12:15 PM
If i was being honest, i'm still not convinced the first landing on the moon actually took place...
Could be to much TV and Internet , but there's alot to say it aint true, and we all know the yanks are full of sh1t....

Just ma opinion peeps:o
I'm allowed one today cos the wife's oot;)

Jees. You and Deerslayer should meet up for a chat.:eek: :D ;)

A.:D ;)

vintageb3
7th October 2007, 01:11 PM
Well...I was going to keep quiet about this....but I have some doubts if they actually did go to the moon when they say the did.

I do think they have been since...but not when they said they did.

mark

vintageb3
7th October 2007, 01:28 PM
And here the proof!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mouUUWpEec0&mode=related&search=

mark

Mini Me
7th October 2007, 03:22 PM
And here the proof!

mark

(best weegie accent)..See man , a new that mental mad mod man Andy pandy aka burberry bum boy(hinks the council tartan's still gallas), picked up that book by mistake whent he wis robbin his copy o the beano oot spar's(used to be the Dandy, but that big desperate dan man wi his mental mad coo pie man, had mod man crappin himsel)......mental man

Burple
7th October 2007, 05:08 PM
I bet LnL will be along soon saying the never went to the moon.

Au contraire my perm pummeling amigo :p
I'm certainly a believer it happened. The Russians beat them into space with pets, monkeys and people.. what better way to get one up? :D

AndyP & Lenore
7th October 2007, 05:14 PM
And here the proof!

mark

Classic. Brilliant.:D

Crombers
7th October 2007, 08:08 PM
As someone who was just a twinkle in my Daddy's eye at the time of the first Moon landings - and all the landings thereafter, the closest experience to this feat was Apollo 13 movie with Tom Hanks. And then they didn't even land.:rolleyes:

So a few months ago I picked up a book called "A Man on the Moon: The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts" by Andrew Chaikin.

Fascinating book. Goes into real depth about the whole NASA programme from the Gemini missions to the final Apollo mission. The author has obviously spent a fair bit of time interviewing the astronauts and reviewing the missions.

Every mission is documented in great details from launch to landing back on Earth.;)

If you're interested in the Apollo missions, you'll love this book.

I also have the very book, bought it back in 2001 for holiday reading & agree it is excellent stuff

The Dogfather
7th October 2007, 09:15 PM
Fi, a lot of the stuff that was invented/discovered as a result of the space race may have still be discovered some other way. Who knows if they spent the billions they did on space on something like cancer or some other kind of research we may have a cure today.......

I feel the same way about climate change, how much are we spending on this. We're buggered anyway so why not evacuate the at risk areas and use the money to tackle poverty.

Sorry for going off topic Andy....

vintageb3
7th October 2007, 09:52 PM
(best weegie accent)..See man , a new that mental mad mod man Andy pandy aka burberry bum boy(hinks the council tartan's still gallas), picked up that book by mistake whent he wis robbin his copy o the beano oot spar's(used to be the Dandy, but that big desperate dan man wi his mental mad coo pie man, had mod man crappin himsel)......mental man

What on earth are you on about old boy?:D :D

Its certainly not Kelvinside banter!:D

mark

illegalhunter
7th October 2007, 09:59 PM
We will find out very soon as the japs are putting a telescope to survey the SEA OF TRANQUILITY on the moon ,next year

vintageb3
7th October 2007, 10:24 PM
Why would they need to put a telescope on the moon to see the moon ?:confused:

Ahh!...I get it;) Go yersel John boy :D

mark

Scottie
7th October 2007, 11:05 PM
Fi, a lot of the stuff that was invented/discovered as a result of the space race may have still be discovered some other way. Who knows if they spent the billions they did on space on something like cancer or some other kind of research we may have a cure today.......

I feel the same way about climate change, how much are we spending on this. We're buggered anyway so why not evacuate the at risk areas and use the money to tackle poverty.

Well without Telestar we would have no Satelllites:eek:

What about the Digital Camera developed originally for observation from space. Come to that so was terahertz imaging. Better weather forecasts. GPS . Not all space is external. The technology that took astronauts to the moon has also taken us deeper into our own corporel selves. When Nasa was gearing up for the Apollo programme in the 1960's, it developed new techniques for enhancing pictures of the moon. This very same technology, in the form of computer-aided tomography (Cat Scans) and magnectic resonance imaging (MRI) is now used in hospitals to scan bones and soft tissues. Laser technology used to study the Earth's ozone layer has suggested a treatment for asthrosclerosis that is much less invasive than heart bypass surger.
Where cancer is suspected, supersensitive silicon chips from the Hubble Space Telescope allow biopsies to be done with a tiny, non-scarring needle instead of a scapel.

Leds, Sollar Cells, Cordless Power Tools, Home insulation,

Lithium-ion batteries keeps your Laptop running.;)

I could go on and on into some things that simply amaze that all came about because of Mans interest in Space.

One giant leap for mankind? Neil Armstrong didn't know the half of it.

vintageb3
7th October 2007, 11:06 PM
All this talk of space...here's a guy that really knows his ****!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUe2HcFUPSo

mark

AndyP & Lenore
7th October 2007, 11:22 PM
All this talk of space...here's a guy that really knows his ****!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUe2HcFUPSo

mark

Never gonna look a shooting star again in the same way.:eek: :D

AndyP & Lenore
7th October 2007, 11:25 PM

Naw thats cool. You're nothing like as off-topic as that bloke minime.... Who's he again?:eek: :rolleyes:

Gotta say, I fully agree with you on the climate change nonsense.