PDA

View Full Version : Component over CAT5...

AndyP & Lenore
6th October 2007, 03:10 PM
Has anyone ever done this? More likely in the course of their work than at home.

A.:confused:

Gismo
6th October 2007, 10:36 PM
Has anyone ever done this? More likely in the course of their work than at home.

A.:confused:
Not sure what your saying here, cat5 is network cabling and component is a video connection???

AndyP & Lenore
6th October 2007, 11:37 PM
Not sure what your saying here, cat5 is network cabling and component is a video connection???

Yeah. You can send component video down a cat 5 cable using a Balun box at each end. The Balun box essentially balances the signal, sends it down the cat 5, then unbalances it at the other end and gives you 3 component sockets. Because cat 5 is not screened, if the signal was not balanced it would be susceptible to interference. It's not perfect, but as long as you run the cat 5 at right angles to any mains cables it has to cross, signal loss - interference is minimal.

It's good for piping video signals over long distances within a building - apparently. Much cheaper and easier than feeding a 3-cable component cable across large distances.

We have a need to get a video signal 30metres within the cinema from a DVD player to a Plasma screen and this was one option we were talking about. I just wondered if anyone had done it before and seen what the results were.

The other option was to push the component signal into a VGA cable and stick that into the plasma's VGA socket. Checked the manual and it will take a component signal through the VGA interface.

Or just feed a 30metre component cable across the void. Easiest option, connectively, but most expensive. And you all know how tight I am.:o

Am I making any sense?

A.:D

Burple
7th October 2007, 05:18 PM
I'm pretty sure (without putting the 'work' head on on a Sunday) that this sounds similar to the OneLan ( http://www.onelan.co.uk/ )boxes that a couple of the Uni Departments use..
They take a video / web feed off a Unix box, squirt it across the Cat5 network cables and poop it out at the other end onto a Plasma telly.. am I close? :D

It seems to work pretty well for those that use it, and it's pretty reliable..

AndyP & Lenore
7th October 2007, 05:42 PM
I'm pretty sure (without putting the 'work' head on on a Sunday) that this sounds similar to the OneLan ( http://www.onelan.co.uk/ )boxes that a couple of the Uni Departments use..
They take a video / web feed off a Unix box, squirt it across the Cat5 network cables and poop it out at the other end onto a Plasma telly.. am I close? :D

It seems to work pretty well for those that use it, and it's pretty reliable..

Very similar, and certainly the same concept. Although your system seems to be nuclear powered and gold plated. A tad more than what we are looking to do. But at least it proves that the content being pushed over cat5 works ok.

Cheers,

A.:D

The Bull
7th October 2007, 10:40 PM
We are just getting this kit installed in the new build schools in the Angus area. TV over IP. So that they can use any data point in any classroom for a TV output.

http://www.exterity.co.uk/DVB-IP%20gateways/DVB-IP%20gateways/DVB-IP-gateways.html

euan
8th October 2007, 11:00 AM
We've done the same thing here onsite, but I've no idea about the technology behind it as I wasn't involved!

TV looks good on the 50" plasma though :D