PDA

View Full Version : White shading on black vinyl - how to get rid.

AndyP & Lenore
4th October 2007, 03:32 PM
I know Diamondbrite paint protection isn't very popular amongst the regulars here, but we do have a problem with our black vinyl arches etc., which I'm hoping someone can help with.

We recently bought some "Replenish" black vinyl/plastic/tyre wall treatment product from Jewelultra. We used a fair bit of their products including a scratchX and rainX equivalent product. So far everything we've used of theirs has been first class. Been a very happy customer so far.

The replenish product went on great and gave our arches that "just wet" look we all desire. However after it had been on for a few weeks, after washing or a heavy rain spell, we noticed our arches were turning a nasty shade of white - like the car was actually 20 years old, not 4 months old.

So I called Diamondbrite and spoke to the Scottish Regional manager. His explanation is as follows:

At some point our vehicle has been waxed with a silicone based wax. (This must have been during preparation at Menzies because we don't even possess any wax products - been diamondbrite fans for years). The silicone in this wax embeds itself in the porous surface of the black arches and is very difficult to get out. ANY product we put on top of this silicone will look ok at first, then eventually turn the nasty shade of white we are seeing.:eek:

His advice for removal is as follows:

Scrub with a soft brush with a detergent like fairy, rinse off and allow to dry naturally. The scrubbing will bring the silicone to the surface and the natural drying will allow evaporation of the silicone. he said we may need to repeat this process for a couple of weeks to get rid of it completely.

Apparently if you use a silicone wax on your car (especially the black vinyl) it is very difficult to remove.

We've done what he suggested today, but needless to say our arches look frikking awful, having to dry naturally. All spotty and streaky. If this will definitely work, we can suffer this for a couple of weeks, but we'd rather go for a fix that will fix quicker if there is one.

One idea we did have was what Mark (VintageB3) has done with his arches in this thread (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11207). But will this get rid of the silicone wax left behind? Is this wax not just the normal wax spilled over from a normal waxing of the car? Or is this a silicone based wax he was trying to remove?

Mark, or anyone with info on this would be appreciated.

A.

ianking
4th October 2007, 03:42 PM
I would think the best think to use would be a co-polymer remover. This is what I used to use at the garage to remove the transport wax from the new cars. You wont want to get it on your paintwork though as it will remover your diamond brite stuff.

I have some co-polymer remover at the garage at home. If you are very keen you could drive up tonight or if you can hold off until tomorrow I can bring some round for you.

AndyP & Lenore
4th October 2007, 04:17 PM
Cheers Ian.

For now, I'm gonna hold off and see what other opinions are. I am wondering if maybe, rather than applying a silicone wax to our car during preparation, Menzies simply did a crap job of removing the transport wax. Although I find it hard to imagine MINI would use a silicone based transport wax.:confused:

You're offer is kindly received though, and you may well get a phone call before the end of the night. Hold that thought Bubba.;)

A.:confused:

ianking
4th October 2007, 04:58 PM
I am just home now and I was thinking whilst going up the road. (dangerous)

I doubt if Menzies would have put any kind of bumper trim gel or silicon spray type product on the arches as it was a brand new car and it wouldnt have needed it, and without dissing their valeters I dont think they go into enough detail to have put a clear wax protector on the plastic either.
It is most likely that they simply havnt de-waxed the car properly after it was delivered to them.

We got Sarahs mini new from them and the state it was in was quite frankly pi*s poor. Transport wax all over the place and still some sticker marks on the glass and they had only dressed 3 tyres. Mind you I was going to be doing it all the next day anyway but they were not to know that.

Im pretty sure a co-polymer remover will do it.
Or if you dont want to go as harsh as a co-polymer remover then a strong mix of TFR (traffic film remover) will do it. I also have this product at home.

Gismo
4th October 2007, 05:02 PM
Alternatively, stick to the manky way of having a car :eek: :rolleyes: :D i don't suffer any white shading on any parts of my arches :p

AndyP & Lenore
4th October 2007, 05:11 PM
Alternatively, stick to the manky way of having a car :eek: :rolleyes: :D i don't suffer any white shading on any parts of my arches :p

Ever the constructive comments from Mr Scotland.:rolleyes:

Naw, but you just have a muddy shading parts over your whole car. Unless Julie washes it for you.:eek:

A.:D

AndyP & Lenore
4th October 2007, 05:13 PM
Ian, I'm wondering if your right there. I can't see menzies valeters being so dedicated to put a clear coat wax on the black bits. Like you say, more likely they just forgot to take the delivery wax off during vehicle prep.

Oh, and our tyres were not dropped down from delivery pressure to driving pressure either. They were up at about 4 to 5bar!:eek: Discovered that 2 or 3 days after we took delivery.:eek:

vintageb3
4th October 2007, 05:58 PM
Andy...

I personally wouldn't put any solvent on your plastic arches...i.e co-polymer or panel wash. (Sorry Ian) I think that would certainly compound matters.

I have had great success (IMO) with using Tesco's Groundnut Oil (£0.76/500ml). It strips wax and other impurities RIGHT out of the plastic...and feeds it too. 500ml will last for years too!

I had heard that some of the detailing guys use peanut butter to clean the plastic and remove wax. I really didn't want to smear PB all over my plastic. So I guessed it was the oil that was the key ingredient. So I tried Groundnut oil (peanut oil). Its what vegans use to fry with I believe. My guess was "if I can get it on to the plastic...I should be able to remove it again with Fairy liquid....cause that's what would be used to remove it from a frying pan.";)

We resprayed our 16 year old VW Transporter this summer...and I used that to experiment with .

I washed the front bumper, then coated it with Groundnut oil. I left it for a few hours. I then used very hot water and Fairy liquid...and washed the groundnut oil off. After this...you notice a water repellant quality to the plastic. Water just beads straight off it! So I'm guessing that you only remove whats on the surface...or the excess oil.

I then used Autoglym bumper care as a protectant....and the bumper looked like new. On the back bumper...I went straight for the Autoglym Bumper care...and the results sucked. So I had to redo the back bumper. After going through the proceess with the oil....the back bumper came up like new as well.

Before they were grey...and LOOKED 16 years old!

On my other van...I left the oil on for a few days...and it seemed to work better.

It must have looked good...one of the carpet fitters in the next unit to us asked "What the hell do you use on your bumpers?? They are like new!" He has a year old IVECO with the greying problem.

The next week he used this little trick...and his bumpers were like new!

I was using Meguairs stuff for the bumpers...it doesn't last. So I went back to using Autoglym bumper care. After using the oil, the AG stuff takes care of protecting the plastic quite well....and I boost that using Ulitimate Quik detailer when I do the paintwork....I just do the plastic as well (a tip knicked from Craig...as he uses a Nano Turtle wax product to do the same thing)

APPLICATION:

WARNING: DO NOT USE THIS OIL OVER A SURFACE LIKE MONOBLOCK PAVERS!!!!! IT WILL BE DIFFICULT OT REMOVE!! USE IT OVER RED CHIPS OR ON THE MAIN ROAD AWAY FROM YOUR HOME:eek: :D ;)

Use a 1" (25mm) brush and pour the oil SLOWLY! onto the bristles...then paint it onto the palstic...ABSOLUTELY lagger the plastic. I found out that the oil does not strip wax from a painted surface...so you can go over onto the paintwork without any problems. In fact..its the bit of plastic right on the paint line that is usually the area that has been contaminated with wax...so I think its a good idea to go over onto the paintwork a little.

Rub the oil in with the brush...then use a cloth to rub it in as well. Finish with the brush leaving a coating of oil on the surface. i.e. don't leave it dry...leave it looking wet. After a few hours, or overnight...it will dry in slightly as it "works" on the plastic.

Its better to leave it on for a few hours...or days....but you can just go round the car then start to wash it off.

Use VERY hot water and Fairy liquid (good quaility washing up liquid) to remove the oil from the plastic and paintwork with an old sponge. Then immediately wash the area with clean water. (This removes any salt from the washing up liquid) Because you are only using the washing up liquid on these small areas...and it isn't in contact for long...I don't have concern about the salt in the washing up liquid damaging the car in any way. I suppose you could use car shampoo...but I thought Fairy would be better for this application.

After you have removed the oil, wash the car using you own usual method and then treat the plastic bits with Autoglym Bumper care.

Its really easy...and the plastic will look like new.

Hope this helps Andy!

mark

ianking
4th October 2007, 06:45 PM
Mark

Wasnt suggesting a panel wash or any solvent such as thinners.

Co-polymer remover that I have is a non-caustic, low hazard dilutable product, as is the TFR that I use. I have tried many different products when I worked at a dealers as a valeter for 4 years doing about 15 cars a week so I had plenty chance to try them all out.
(I used to manage to wangle all the samples I could get from the various suppliers :D )

I know that the nut oil is as you say very effective at removing car polish and wax, but I think in this instance, particularly as Andy is looking for a speedy result he should try the wax remover.
However its up to him if he wishes to try the nut oil first and then see how it goes.

If the dealer had preped the car correctly then he wouldnt be in this mess.

Scottie
4th October 2007, 06:54 PM
I'ved used the peanut butter on my plastic trim (not got as much as what a Mini has) anyway using the smooth peanut butter my thought was it still had a little grit feel to it which helped get into a grain of the plastic and lift out any polish left.

Then using small bits of sponge that I cut up I applied a very small amount of Chemical Guys gel on to the plastic. Worked fine for me.

ianking
4th October 2007, 07:02 PM
Chemical guys gel and also poorboys gel are both very good on plastic trim

Scottie
4th October 2007, 07:11 PM
Chemical guys gel and also poorboys gel are both very good on plastic trim
I agree have used them both the thing is only use a small amount and work it well in to the plastic making sure you leave nothing on the paint. I actually put masking tape on my paint so I could get right up to the edge of the plastic.

KenL
4th October 2007, 08:13 PM
I would follow these advice you have been given to remove the white marks and then put this on: http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=428

It is not only wax that dulls the trim but other factors like UV and perhaps road salt, car wash etc.

I have only been applying this stuff every 2 or 3 months to the R56 and the arches look fine. I don't rate any of the other products designed for this sort of thing.

AndyP & Lenore
4th October 2007, 08:25 PM
Cheers for the feedback guys.:D

Gonna try the peanut oil process tomorrow.

Will let you all know how I get on.

A.;)

vintageb3
4th October 2007, 08:34 PM
Im pretty sure a co-polymer remover will do it.
Or if you dont want to go as harsh as a co-polymer remover then a strong mix of TFR (traffic film remover) will do it. I also have this product at home.

Hi Ian...

Sorry I misunderstood you over the co-polymer...i did indeed asume it was a solvent. If its not a solvent...what is it?

Although saying that....you state in this post that the co polymer can be harsh. I assume its harsh only in the respect that its a man made product?

Nut oil is natural...and that's why I like it...totally harmless to the plastic trim.

If Andy wants quick results...he can try a wee bit of both our sugestions. The nut oil will show results quickly...but I reckon the nut oil, if left on for a longer period gives better results that a short time. If you are doing this...may as well leave it for 24hrs

Fiona...I did read somewhere that some people do like the peanut butter because they feel the texture can be used to work into the plastic.

Of course...use what you are happy using! I only mentioned the Groundnut Oil because found it easier to work with without any real rubbing in...and it washed off easilly...and assume easier than peanut butter.

Go round the car in 10 minutes

Good to hear that Poorboys stuff works as well....I'm using their wheel sealant...I think its great!...and it smells like bubblegum:D

Great posts from everyone!

mark

AndyP & Lenore
5th October 2007, 08:15 PM
Update........

Carried out the three stage procedure as described by Mark (VintageB3) early this morning.

0. I would have washed and dried the arches had I not washed the entire car yesterday afternoon and it hasn't moved an inch since.

1. Applied groundnut oil liberally to all arches and black bottom surround. Applied with paintbrush (couldn't find a 1" so had to use a 1 1/2", hope that won't effect the outcome:rolleyes: ), then rubbed it in to the plastic using a microfibre cloth.

Then I allowed the oil to cure into the plastic while I zoomed off into Gala to pick up a bottle of Auto Glym Bumper Care stuff.

2. Washed off the nut oil with a hot soapy solution using Jewelultra car shampoo - couldn't bring myself to use fairy. Then dried the arches with a clean microfibre cloth.

3. Applied the Auto Glym with another clean microfibre cloth to all arches and black bits.

It has come up lovely. The proof will be in a few days, 'cos the Jewelultra vinyl stuff went on fine also, and stayed nice for a few days, but eventually turned white. So in a few days after some rain and rotten weather it will be interesting to see how it looks. I'll keep the thread updated as time goes on.

As the nut oil was only on the black bits for about 40 mins, I may well need to re-treat them sometime. Next time I'll try and give them an over-night treatment.

BTW I thought the Auto Glym Bumper Care stuff resembled the sh!t coming out my nose last time I had a bad cold. Lovely!:D ;)

Thanks for every-one's advice.;) Lets hope this works.:D

markyc
5th October 2007, 08:27 PM
BTW I thought the Auto Glym Bumper Care stuff resembled the sh!t coming out my nose last time I had a bad cold. Lovely!:D ;)

You really are gross Poole, what a thought :eek: :confused: ;)

Hope the process works. I've had the smooth peanut butter on the arches a wee while back and it worked a treat, wax came off no bother at all and brought the black plastic back up well oh and it tastes great as well, just have half a loaf lying next to the car and you can have your tea when you cleaning the mowta :eek: :) :D ;)

vintageb3
5th October 2007, 09:16 PM
Andy...good to hear the process seems to have worked.

Interesting that car shampoo works:)...I will try that next time!

I've only had to do my car once in a year with the nut oil...and I like the Autoglym bumper care better than the Meguiars stuff.

Maybe Ian and Fiona can chip and tell us if the bumper stuff they use is better than the Autoglym stuff if they have tried it.

Could save us buying all these products unnecessarily.

mark

Scottie
5th October 2007, 09:31 PM
Andy...good to hear the process seems to have worked.

Interesting that car shampoo works:)...I will try that next time!

I've only had to do my car once in a year with the nut oil...and I like the Autoglym bumper care better than the Meguiars stuff.

Maybe Ian and Fiona can chip and tell us if the bumper stuff they use is better than the Autoglym stuff if they have tried it.

Could save us buying all these products unnecessarily.

mark

autoglym is fine Poorboys is great Chemical Buys is brillant.:D

N12 JLK
5th October 2007, 09:37 PM
didnt like the poorboys stuff Fiona, I have taken the advise of MrC and have only used Turtle wax speed wax on ours and they have stayed looking great, water just beads off.

Scottie
5th October 2007, 09:54 PM
didnt like the poorboys stuff Fiona, I have taken the advise of MrC and have only used Turtle wax speed wax on ours and they have stayed looking great, water just beads off.

Oh well each to their own. I like it and that's what counts.;) :p :D

Scottie
5th October 2007, 10:06 PM
well Andy don't laugh now. Next time you do the plastic say in a couple of weeks follow eactly what you have already done

BUT

when it comes to applying the Auto Glym product bumper trim stuff

either

use a hair dryer when putting the stuff on. I Know what your thinking

OR

put the bottle of Auto Glym in to really hot water so the product is hot when your applying.

You will be amazed at the finish just humour me on this one and try it.

vintageb3
5th October 2007, 10:09 PM
I used to like Turtle wax stuff....in fact I use Turtle wax wash and wax car shampoo...love it!

I bought some of the turtle speed wax stuff...I didn't like it at all...it was difficult to put on I thought.

Thought I would use it on my van....but it was too much like hard work on that as well....so I'm just sticking with NXT for my van.

Am I doing something wrong?

Sorry:(

mark

vintageb3
5th October 2007, 10:10 PM
well Andy don't laugh now. Next time you do the plastic say in a couple of weeks follow eactly what you have already done

BUT

when it comes to applying the Auto Glym product bumper trim stuff

either

use a hair dryer when putting the stuff on. I Know what your thinking

OR

put the bottle of Auto Glym in to really hot water so the product is hot when your applying.

You will be amazed at the finish just humour me on this one and try it.

Very interesting!

mark

vintageb3
5th October 2007, 10:11 PM
I only do my plastic every 5-6 weeks????

mark

N12 JLK
5th October 2007, 10:16 PM
[quote
put the bottle of Auto Glym in to really hot water so the product is hot when your applying.[/quote]
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/lesley12/areyoubeingserved_1.jpg

Scottie
5th October 2007, 10:17 PM
Very interesting!

mark

read about it in a thread on detailing world a while back so I tried it

and it really worked but didn't want to say in case anyone thought I was daft.:eek: :rolleyes:

vintageb3
5th October 2007, 10:17 PM
He's free!

mark

vintageb3
5th October 2007, 10:19 PM
read about it in a thread on detailing world a while back so I tried it

and it really worked but didn't want to say in case anyone thought I was daft.:eek: :rolleyes:

Errr....OK...I'm going let this pass without saying anything...it was nicely set up too:(

mark:D

Scottie
5th October 2007, 10:28 PM
Errr....OK...I'm going let this pass without saying anything...it was nicely set up too:(

mark:D

......................:D :D ........................

AndyP & Lenore
5th October 2007, 11:20 PM
Very interesting Fiona.

Will that work with the Poorboys or the Chemical Buys too? Or just the Auto Glym stuff?

AndyP & Lenore
10th October 2007, 09:57 PM
Wee update......

After a few days and some really wet weather I'm pleased to report the white marks have NOT come back. Or at least, the tiny small bits that have come back will probably be conquered on the next treatment. Providing it stays dry on Thursday and Friday I'm going to give it a two day treatment with the peanut oil. Will also try Fi's hot Auto Glym suggestion.

Thanks again to everyone.http://www.x5world.com/images/smilies/2thumbs.gif

A.;)

vintageb3
10th October 2007, 10:12 PM
Leaving it on should sort it out for good Andy...

I've only done my Mini once....and it was ages ago.

I'm going to do it again after I PC the car.

mark

AndyP & Lenore
11th October 2007, 10:37 PM
Another update.

Started to carry out a full detail of the car today, and finished today off by applying a good coat of nut oil to ALL the black bits again. This time leaving it overnight.

Tomorrow, I'm gonna take the nut oil off with a damp cloth rather than the hot, hot, hot water Mark suggested. Then apply the Auto Glym stuff using Fiona's suggestion of dipping it in a bucket of hot water.

Then it's onto the wheels. Take them off, thorough clean inside and out then put them back on - obviously.

A.;)

vintageb3
11th October 2007, 10:46 PM
Let us know how you get on with removing the excess oil Andy.

It may be advantageous to just remove the excess as you sugest...since the oil does have water repelling properties....and not removing it all may improve its effectiveness.

Its all a learning curve isn't it?

NOW...what the best thing to use on tyres to keep them nice and glossy?...I don't like the Meguiers stuff I have.

Could it be.........Nut oil?

mark

vintageb3
11th October 2007, 10:50 PM
Just had a thought Andy....

The reason I removed all the oil was simple...to stop dust sticking to it.

You may have a problem with leaving some of it on....but let us know how it goes!

mark

Scottie
11th October 2007, 11:13 PM
you may also have a problem by not removing all the oil getting the auto glym to really take to the plastic.

AndyP & Lenore
12th October 2007, 12:00 AM
Just had a thought Andy....

The reason I removed all the oil was simple...to stop dust sticking to it.

You may have a problem with leaving some of it on....but let us know how it goes!

mark

you may also have a problem by not removing all the oil getting the auto glym to really take to the plastic.

All perfectly valid arguments for removing all the oil. Will ponder this tonight while tucked up in bed.;)

Certainly agree with the rubbish sticking to it argument. 'Cos I went out and had a look at them a couple of hours ago and they are covered in tiny wee flies. And leaves. And dust. And any other manner of rubbish.:rolleyes:

Scottie
13th October 2007, 09:15 PM
how did you get on.?

AndyP & Lenore
13th October 2007, 09:51 PM
Got on great Fi.:D

In the end I did use hot water and my usual car shampoo from jewelultra to remove the peanut oil. There was so much cr@p stuck to it in the morning, it had to go.:rolleyes:

Once that was off, I got a bucket of hot, hot, hot water and dunked the bottle of Auto Glym Bumper Care in it. You were spot on! ;) What a difference it makes putting it on. It looks more like runny snot instead of semi-congealed snot. Much easier. Thanks for that tip.:D

So once that was on, I did the wheels. Off they came and a good scrub down and then back on.

Car now looks absolutely fantastic.:cool: The proof will still be in how it looks in a week or so. But for now I am well impressed.:cool:

Cheers to everyone for all the advice.

Scottie
13th October 2007, 10:05 PM
did you take any pictures.??

AndyP & Lenore
13th October 2007, 10:25 PM
did you take any pictures.??

I didn't. If I have time tomorrow morning before work I'll take some then, and post up tomorrow night when I get home.

A.;)

AndyP & Lenore
25th October 2007, 08:36 PM
Update 25th October!

After two weeks I'm pleased to say our arches are looking like brand new. Just gave the car a good detailing today along with it's monthly Diamondbrite treatment and the car is looking absolutely cracking. There is absolutely NO SIGN of the white marks reappearing. It has been fairly dry the past couple of weeks, but we have had a wee bit of rain on some days as well as lots of dew in the mornings - and the car looks as good as new. Very happy with the results.

And, finally, some piccies to feast your eyes on....

http://www.reachercreatures.com/MINI/r56_arches01.JPG

http://www.reachercreatures.com/MINI/r56_arches02.JPG

http://www.reachercreatures.com/MINI/r56_arches03.JPG

http://www.reachercreatures.com/MINI/r56_arches04.JPG

http://www.reachercreatures.com/MINI/r56_arches05.JPG

http://www.reachercreatures.com/MINI/r56_arches06.JPG

A.:D ;) :D

N12 JLK
25th October 2007, 08:42 PM
get those tyre walls shone up with some Megs hot tyre shine:)

AndyP & Lenore
25th October 2007, 08:56 PM

Did them a couple of weeks ago, but didn't have time today - Mrs P had a list of jobs for me to do now we're back from the caravan.

I used the Autoglym Bumper Care on the side walls - did the job!

A.;)

Scottie
25th October 2007, 08:58 PM
did you take the scoop out to get rid off whatever if was.:confused:

AndyP & Lenore
25th October 2007, 09:01 PM
did you take the scoop out to get rid off whatever if was.:confused:

Lenore got it out yesterday.;) I knew the Tesco clubcard thingy you get for your car keys would come in handy one day.:D

N12 JLK
25th October 2007, 09:09 PM
Lenore got it out yesterday.;)

Oooerrrr Matron:D

vintageb3
25th October 2007, 09:49 PM
Oooerrrr Matron:D

beat me to it!:D

Can Lenore now put it away?...all people north of the home counties are going blind:eek:

:D

mark

vintageb3
25th October 2007, 09:57 PM

OK...That's what I use just now...and I think its crap.....it doesn't last days...or even one wash!

So...what do other people use on the sidewalls?

I was going to try peanut oil...and see if that worked;)

Thanks

mark

ianking
25th October 2007, 10:18 PM
Autosmart Highstyle dressing for my tyres. Much better and its only £15 for 5 litres from your local autosmart man.

Scottie
25th October 2007, 10:32 PM
Autosmart Highstyle dressing for my tyres. Much better and its only £15 for 5 litres from your local autosmart man.

had that on my tyres lasted for about 24 hours until is rained.:mad:

vintageb3
25th October 2007, 10:52 PM
Oh!:confused:

So is there anything on the market that lasts?

Thanks

mark

Scottie
25th October 2007, 11:30 PM
Oh!:confused:

So is there anything on the market that lasts?

Thanks

mark

for long lasting you need something silicone based.

AndyP & Lenore
25th October 2007, 11:50 PM
for long lasting you need something silicone based.

AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!! Silicone stuff is how my nightmare started. Although, if it's only going on the tyre side walls.... S'pose that would be ok.

vintageb3
26th October 2007, 01:10 AM
I think I will experiment with my winter wheels and tyres....and see if the peanut oil works..or helps.

Nothing to lose really...

mark

AndyP & Lenore
26th October 2007, 08:28 AM
I think I will experiment with my winter wheels and tyres....and see if the peanut oil works..or helps.

Nothing to lose really...

mark

Just your life. Really not sure putting "oil" on your tyres is a good idea mate. I know it's the side walls, but in a severe bend, your side walls will inevitably be touching the ground.:confused:

A.

vintageb3
26th October 2007, 05:02 PM
Just your life. Really not sure putting "oil" on your tyres is a good idea mate. I know it's the side walls, but in a severe bend, your side walls will inevitably be touching the ground.:confused:

A.

I really don't think the peanut oil on the sidewalls would be a problem Andy.

We don't all drive like Lenore you know!!!!:eek:

mark

AndyP & Lenore
26th October 2007, 07:35 PM
I really don't think the peanut oil on the sidewalls would be a problem Andy.

We don't all drive like Lenore you know!!!!:eek:

mark

Maybe.:confused: Tell you what, you try it.;) And if after a couple of weeks you've stopped posting, we'll all know why.:eek: :D

vintageb3
26th October 2007, 08:26 PM
Maybe.:confused: Tell you what, you try it.;) And if after a couple of weeks you've stopped posting, we'll all know why.:eek: :D

OK Andy...so you honestly think putting oil on...then washing it all off is going to effect my cornering?

I don't think it will be any different from putting on any other tyre dressing.

Will let you know;)

mark

AndyP & Lenore
26th October 2007, 09:28 PM
OK Andy...so you honestly think putting oil on...then washing it all off is going to effect my cornering?

I don't think it will be any different from putting on any other tyre dressing.

Will let you know;)

mark

I suppose if your gonna wash it off again. but if your gonna wash it off, I doubt it will leave the result on that you want i.e. longer lasting.

vintageb3
26th October 2007, 09:31 PM
I suppose if your gonna wash it off again. but if your gonna wash it off, I doubt it will leave the result on that you want i.e. longer lasting.

Its the bloody same as you do with the arches ye numpty!!!!!:rolleyes: :eek: :D

You seem to be pleased with that!

Relax...I will experiment and take all the risks...and let you know how it goes;)

mark

Sheilz
11th November 2007, 11:39 PM
How did you get on with the tyres? I did my bumpers and arches today and tyres looked right scruffy besides them. I'm a philistine when it comes to my bumpers, one I find easiest is careplan's cheapo blacktrim. Suppose its a bit like shoe polish for bumpers but it lasts for weeks. Messy stuff though if you forget to put on gloves. Eventually mine go greyish too and until today i thought it was one of those things that just kind of happened to bumpers. I can sense a raid of my other half's kitchen cupboards coming on! And also have I read this thread properly. Can you put wax on your bumpers after they've been treated? I've always been really careful about not putting wax on them.

AndyP & Lenore
12th November 2007, 01:29 AM
Hi Shielz,

Gonna let others answer the question about putting wax on your bumpers after they are treated, because as we have Diamondbrite, we don't wax the car.;) If I had to guess, I'd say it was still inadvisable as it is very tricky to get it off. Although I think CraigD uses a wax which is OK and he puts it everywhere.:eek: :confused:

Haven't cleaned the tyre walls since I used the Auto Glym stuff.:o The AG stuff looks cool for about a day then the tyre just returns to the usual mucky self.:rolleyes:

I did say to Mark (Vintageb3) that he should try the peanut oil on his tyres and report back. Hasn't been heard from since, so I guess we know the result of that.:eek: Naw, to be fair he's touring with Deacon Blue just now. I think he's some sort of massive groupie fan and can't leave the band alone or something.:D :D

So no definitive result on the tyre walls as yet.

Craig
12th November 2007, 10:38 AM
I use wax everywhere as Andy says. It's great on the plastic trim and stops quite a lot of stuff sticking to the car's trim. Makes it easier for washin. :)

once you get your trim clean and the way you want it, put a few coats on and then DONT USE ANYTHING ELSE other than wash it and them put another coat of wax on from time to time. works for me. :D

vintageb3
12th November 2007, 11:33 AM
Naw, to be fair he's touring with Deacon Blue just now. I think he's some sort of massive groupie fan and can't leave the band alone or something.:D :D

So no definitive result on the tyre walls as yet.

What's the difference between a Groupie...and a Roadie?

Well they both get ****ed by the band....but in different ways:eek: :D

No such thing as a Roadie these days....the term is tech:rolleyes:

Roadie's pushed cases....techs don't ;)

Will try the peanut oil when I get a chance...

mark

AndyP & Lenore
16th November 2007, 05:16 PM
Well. Here we are a month on and we've just given the car a good cleaning ready for Sundays run.;)

Still looks amazing. No white streaks, or patches.:D :D :D

We're both very happy bunny's.

vintageb3
16th November 2007, 10:02 PM
Well. Here we are a month on and we've just given the car a good cleaning ready for Sundays run.;)

Still looks amazing. No white streaks, or patches.:D :D :D

We're both very happy bunny's.

Oh!!!..Go on rub it in...a bloody run...and i can't get to go on it.

Down in LLandudno today on a day off...show here tomorrow...

Amazing weather for this time of year...t-shirt stuff

Beautiful place...was last here in 1973.

Plenty of Mini's down here...and loads of convertibles of all makes

See you all soon!

mark

sedgie
16th November 2007, 10:07 PM
Oh!!!..Go on rub it in...a bloody run...and i can't get to go on it.

Down in LLandudno today on a day off...show here tomorrow...

Amazing weather for this time of year...t-shirt stuff

Beautiful place...was last here in 1973.

Plenty of Mini's down here...and loads of convertibles of all makes

See you all soon!

mark

:mad: @ you lot doon sooth...hubby in brighton 2nite...he foned me n said lovely weather...t-shirt on:mad: ... i hope it pissin doon 2morra in manchester for him!:p :D

vintageb3
16th November 2007, 11:15 PM
:mad: @ you lot doon sooth...hubby in brighton 2nite...he foned me n said lovely weather...t-shirt on:mad: ... i hope it pissin doon 2morra in manchester for him!:p :D

HEE HEE:D !!!!

P.S. Must look at my shorts...

mark