PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Time

ianking
1st October 2007, 01:37 PM
My R56 S with 17s on now has 12k miles on it and I recon that next month I will need 2 front tyres.:p

Do I go down the run flat keep it standard route, it currently has Dunlop on it, I think they are about £120 each.

Or do I put a couple proper tyres on, Prob about £80-£100 each.

Pro for runflat is obvoiusly I can drive slowly home but con is they are very hard.

Pro for proper tyre is they are surely better at handling and comfort and they are cheaper but con is that I wont be able to drive home. Should I join the AA then if I go down this route?

Your thoughts please....
Which is the best runflat or which is the best proper tyre to go for. I confess that I like to drive the car quite hard.

GAJ
1st October 2007, 01:45 PM
I've been running Goodyear Eagle F1 for the last 3 or 4 years and would thoroughly recommend them, think they are 215 45 17. I've tyre weld in the boot and a Britannia rescue card in my wallet!:rolleyes:

FergusM
1st October 2007, 01:52 PM
I plan to dump the run flats as soon as they are worn out...and either Eagle's or Michelin Pilot Sports will be going on..

...and a can of tyre weld of course

Craig
1st October 2007, 04:41 PM
Andy P says I am not allowed to dis the run-flats...

BUT WHO CARES WHAT HE THINKS!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

I would got for non run-flats... :D

Eagle F1's or Toyo Proxes (T1R) :cool:

AndyP & Lenore
1st October 2007, 05:07 PM
Andy P says I am not allowed to dis the run-flats...

From bitter experience I've learned my lesson not to ask a member of the run-flat haters club for advice on run flats.

However, my advice is to stick with run flats. If I was the only one who drove our MINI I would probably at least try a non runflat, based on the clear positive reviews from many members on here. I've no objections to sticking a can of tyre-weld into my tyre and limping home. I'm just not prepared to ask Lenore to do that. I also don't want her having to sit at the side of the road waiting on "international rescue" coming to fix her tyre for her. So it's run flats all the way for us. And if I'm being completely honest, I love a good hard ride.:eek: :D

A.;)

euan
1st October 2007, 05:48 PM
From bitter experience I've learned my lesson not to ask a member of the run-flat haters club for advice on run flats.

However, my advice is to stick with run flats. If I was the only one who drove our MINI I would probably at least try a non runflat, based on the clear positive reviews from many members on here. I've no objections to sticking a can of tyre-weld into my tyre and limping home. I'm just not prepared to ask Lenore to do that. I also don't want her having to sit at the side of the road waiting on "international rescue" coming to fix her tyre for her. So it's run flats all the way for us. And if I'm being completely honest, I love a good hard ride.:eek: :D

A.;)

I always hated run flats on the mini, however....

I got a screw two weeks ago (following on from Mr Ps filth mongering ;)) in one of the rear wheels on the 3. Within half a mile it was flat. Fortunately, that meant I was in the work car park, parked in an end bay and able to access the tyre to change it (well, BMW assist could change it :D). Had I had run flats, I'd have been able to pop along to the stealer to get the tyre replaced without all the mucking about with BMW assist, and my alloy would still be in one piece (that's another story).

Run flats - more expensive, harder ride, less grip when really pushing on.
non run flats - cheaper, better ride and grip, but your buggered when you get screwed.

Depends what's important to you. How happy would you be with nothing but a tin of goop to get you home?

The Dogfather
1st October 2007, 07:27 PM
I'd avoid the Proxes, the grip goes off once worn. I had them on the Smart and the turn in was very slow.

The Vredsteins I have on now are very good (sportrac2s) outstanding grip in the wet, which is when you really need it. They'll be around £80 at most.

Can't advise on the run flats as I wouldn't have em on my car.

duncan
1st October 2007, 07:56 PM
Non-runflats are for cheapskates, or wannabe F1 drivers, cos "they drive better" ;)

ianking
1st October 2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the advice folks. I think I will pop into Ostles tyres in Galashiels this week and get them to price various tyres. They are very helpfull in there.

AndyP & Lenore
1st October 2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the advice folks. I think I will pop into Ostles tyres in Galashiels this week and get them to price various tyres. They are very helpfull in there.

Stuart is a top bloke.;) :D

N12 JLK
1st October 2007, 09:50 PM

A.;)

What a gent

vintageb3
1st October 2007, 10:20 PM
Non-runflats are for cheapskates, or wannabe F1 drivers, cos "they drive better" ;)

How much did you pay for your remoulds Stirling?

;)

mark

Gismo
1st October 2007, 10:28 PM
On the Manky Thrash run it was very obvious that my run flats were absolute rubbish on the wet roads, but, i won't ever change to non run flats for the very reason for that they are designed ;)

vintageb3
1st October 2007, 10:45 PM
Mr Bonnie

Your run was the first time this year that I felt the same way about my runflats. Like you, I prefer to have them. Don't fancy a blow out and going over on my non existent roof. I actually reached over and switched the ASC+T back on...and I always drive without it when having "fun".

If it means i have to slow down when the roads are less than perfect....maybe that's a good thing.

mark