PDA

View Full Version : The long trek to Lohen...

vintageb3
28th September 2007, 05:21 AM
Well it didn't seem that long;)

First time I have really driven the car a distance...kept to 70MPH...and got an average of 36MPG :)

First time I have driven in the dark for any lenght of time with the car too...and I'm happy with lights etc...when I found them :rolleyes:

So...got down here to Lohen...thought i would catch a couple of hours sleep...but now i can't sleep...so thought I would check the posts on here.

Oh well...today I get my pulley's done...

Can't wait!

mark

Craig
28th September 2007, 07:28 AM
aye, motorway miles are a doddle in the MINI.. :D

hope everything goes OK at Lohen and your happy with the results. :) Dinnae make it too quick, would hate to think it was a fast as an R56 :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

AndyP & Lenore
28th September 2007, 10:50 AM
aye, motorway miles are a doddle in the MINI.. :D

hope everything goes OK at Lohen and your happy with the results. :) Dinnae make it too quick, would hate to think it was a fast as an R56 :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

Especially one with JCW kit fitted.:eek: :eek: :cool:

Have fun on the drive back up Mark.;)

N12 JLK
28th September 2007, 07:32 PM
Especially one with JCW kit fitted.:eek: :eek: :cool:

;)

GIT!:p :p :D

markyc
28th September 2007, 08:20 PM
Look forward to seeing the results Marky boy, I'm sure the trip will be WELL worth it. Crackin wee place they have as well in a lovely part of the country :D :D ;)

Scottie
28th September 2007, 10:25 PM
are you home yet.?

Scottie
1st October 2007, 12:33 PM
where is the big write up then.

vintageb3
1st October 2007, 08:03 PM
I'm keeping you in suspense;)

mark

AndyP & Lenore
1st October 2007, 08:53 PM
I'm keeping you in suspenders;)

mark

Does Allan know?:D

vintageb3
1st October 2007, 09:03 PM
Do you know I'm a cheeky wee monkey?:D

YES!:D

mark

vintageb3
1st October 2007, 10:35 PM
I did have a write up....but I need to get a chance with the car on roads I know...or I may write something I may retract at a later stage.

hmmmm:rolleyes:

mark

Gorbash12346
1st October 2007, 11:03 PM
am i right in thinking the fuel economy wasn't anywhere near as good on the way back??:D

vintageb3
1st October 2007, 11:25 PM
Actaully...it seemed to be MUCH better...No kidding!

mark

AndyP & Lenore
1st October 2007, 11:27 PM
Actaully...it seemed to be MUCH better...No kidding!

mark

Is that with "something" plugged in?

vintageb3
2nd October 2007, 07:48 AM
Not yet Andy...will try that at the weekend.;)

mark

vintageb3
5th October 2007, 10:02 PM
OK...so I took the car out tonight for a blast. First blast since i had the work done at Lohen.

It is quicker....but it has to be driven hard to really feel the extra power.

There's some power increase at mid range too...

I climbed a hill road i know well...and the car just took off up the road. With bags more power than before. I got to the 90 degree corner much faster than normal and had to go well down the box to get round the corner.

I notice that flooring the car out of corners in third...the wheels just spin. So I will have to learn cornering again in this car.

I have floored it up through the gears on the long straight out of this corner before...and before having to decelerate for the next corner, I would be doing 70-75MPH. Tonight...the speedo was sitting just under a 3 digit figure that would have almost certainly have lost me my license. I must admit I didn't realize I was going that fast.

I think a re map is still required...but I'm going to leave that for now..until I decide whether or not I'm going to do anymore.

I also about wrote the car off. And it was almost certainly related to the increase of power and I did catch myself out. It was foolish really.

At a certain part of a certain road...leaving a village here in Fife...there is a hump in the road. In fact...there's a very slight hump...but a drop in the road after the hump. The whole road in front of you is in sight...so you can see if something is coming the other way.

If there's a car in front of you...they always slow down to cross the hump. I usually pull out and floor the car and pass them on the hump. I have done this since i was 17...in many different types of cars and vans. The wheels only lift about 6" 's off the road.

So imagine crawling behind a car doing about 15 MPH..pull out and floor the car in second.

I did this tonight...and the car quite literally took off and as i hit the hump...I knew I was going too fast!...but it was too late!

The car flew into the air...I reckon i was about 3'- 4' in the air...and the car started broad-siding.

I hit the road and managed to square the car up...but it wouldn't have been a pretty sight to see.

I reckon one more degree round...and I would have lost it and rolled.

I did get a fright...and at that point realized that YES..there is an increase in power...and i need to learn how to use it.

Lesson learned!

mark

N12 JLK
5th October 2007, 10:28 PM
Got the pics to prove how fast you went!!!!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/lesley12/1969-Dodge-Charger-General-Lee-DOH-.jpg

Colin
5th October 2007, 10:44 PM
Black car, flying through the air, should we call you Michael Knight now.:D
All you need is the red light in your scoop.

AndyP & Lenore
5th October 2007, 11:11 PM
Black car, flying through the air, should we call you Michael Knight now.:D
All you need is the red light in your scoop.

Likeee so?

http://www.kitt-to.it/pagina1/kittanim.gif

AndyP & Lenore
5th October 2007, 11:13 PM
Seriously though... that's good your feeling a difference Mark. But honestly, a remap is the way to go now you have the pulley fitted.

A.;)

KenL
5th October 2007, 11:36 PM
I also about wrote the car off. And it was almost certainly related to the increase of power and I did catch myself out. It was foolish really.
mark

Sounds like the car is now totally over-powered.

Either that, or is it far more accomplished than the driver :p

Time to drive slower :rolleyes:

BTW, did you know that you are 3 times more likely to die on a rural road, not just you but innocent road users going the other way. :(

vintageb3
5th October 2007, 11:56 PM
Mr Nicol...it felt like that...although it was only 3'-4' off the ground.

Red LED's on order for both the funny guys:D

mark

vintageb3
6th October 2007, 12:28 AM
Sounds like the car is now totally over-powered.

Either that, or is it far more accomplished than the driver :p

Time to drive slower :rolleyes:

BTW, did you know that you are 3 times more likely to die on a rural road, not just you but innocent road users going the other way. :(

Thanks for your words of wisdom Ken.

mark

KenL
6th October 2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks for your words of wisdom Ken.

mark

Sorry, shouldn't have written this really :o

I had though just read an article in a paper about the dangers of back roads, I was really talking to myself, I think, rather than you :(

vintageb3
6th October 2007, 08:38 PM
Its a free country with freedom of speech...kind of;)

mark