PDA

View Full Version : Tracker - whats the point?

AndyP & Lenore
27th September 2007, 08:26 PM
So we traded in our X5 a couple of months ago for a Freelander 2. Love it. Just as good as the X5 and £25K cheaper into the bargain -ex demonstrator.

About a week ago we got a letter in the mail from the dealer reminding us the vehicle had a NavTrak trakcer system on it. We had no idea it had one. Next thing a letter comes through the post from the NavTrak people asking us to update our contact details with them. So I duly did so, and the nice lady reminded me to call our insurance company and tell them we had a tracker fitted, oftentimes they will reduce the premium paid if you have a tracker fitted, she said.

So I jumped straight onto the phone and gave made my insurance company aware of this additional security tool fitted to my vehicle - you know, just so that they are well aware that we take the security of our property serious and as a responsible citizen, we want to do everything in our power to minimise any risk of loss to us and our underwriters.

Letter in the post today:

"Dear Mr Poole,

Many thanks for informing us of the additional security device fitted to your vehicle. We have amended your policy to reflect the fact you have a NavTrack tracker system fitted to your vehicle.

I can confirm this has made no difference to your premium.

Best regards,

Elephant Insurance."

Well in 10 months they can stick their policy up their trunk.:mad:

A.:(

susywong
27th September 2007, 08:42 PM
I take it you live in the "country"...or doon a farm track?...hence why you keep buying 4*4's!? :D

Scottie
27th September 2007, 09:03 PM
I take it you live in the "country"...or doon a farm track?...hence why you keep buying 4*4's!? :D

Oop's nice first post.:confused:

ianking
27th September 2007, 09:13 PM
My old man has been with direct line for years and they wouldnt insure his new TT convertible until he had a tracker fitted. He had to send them a copy of the invoice from Audi to say that it was fitted.

vintageb3
27th September 2007, 09:26 PM

God no!...Andy and Lenore never drive on anythig other than tarmac!

They only buy 4 x 4's for the same reason everyone does on NMS....

TO ANNOY Low and Loud!!!

Mind you...buying the caravan too is taking it a bit far!!!:eek: :D

mark

AndyP & Lenore
28th September 2007, 12:36 AM

Nope. As VintageB3 says we tow a caravan.

Why don't you head over to the "Introduce Yourself" forum and say Hi! We always like to welcome new members and hear about your MINI.;)

A.:D

euan
28th September 2007, 08:17 AM
Nope. As VintageB3 says we tow a caravan.

Why don't you head over to the "Introduce Yourself" forum and say Hi! We always like to welcome new members and hear about your MINI.;)

I had Tracker on my last 3 series as the dealer fit's it to all their demo cars. Made sod all difference to the premium, although they did supply me with a list of those who it would - all of whom I found more expensive anyway.

FergusM
28th September 2007, 08:39 AM
A friend has one fitted to his 3-series and never activated it as it would make no difference to the premium.

I have also hear of people doing similar but only activating once stolen (while paying for a years subscription at that point)...so always an option.

When my Lexus was stolen I was asked if I had a tracker, I did not. I asked if it was worth getting one on my next car..Polic tod me no for 2 reasons...

1. "you don't want it back after someone has stolen it"
2. "we never find them anyway" he proceeded to say the standard ones that are found via locators on some Police cars are rarely found. He says he's found 2 using that method in all the years he's been in Police. Said the Satelite based ones woudl "probably" work ok.

In end I did not bother... point 1 being my main reason.

N12 JLK
28th September 2007, 09:12 AM
If it's fitted as standard the ABI take it into account when working out the car grouping.

You kept that quiet. I had one for a few days as a hire car. I loved it.

AndyP & Lenore
28th September 2007, 10:47 AM
A friend has one fitted to his 3-series and never activated it as it would make no difference to the premium.

I have also hear of people doing similar but only activating once stolen (while paying for a years subscription at that point)...so always an option.

When my Lexus was stolen I was asked if I had a tracker, I did not. I asked if it was worth getting one on my next car..Polic tod me no for 2 reasons...

2. "we never find them anyway" he proceeded to say the standard ones that are found via locators on some Police cars are rarely found. He says he's found 2 using that method in all the years he's been in Police. Said the Satelite based ones woudl "probably" work ok.

That's the thing Fergus, not sure if I would want it back after some grease-ball has had his own time in it.

I was just a bit disappointed at the insurance company's attitude towards a customers crime prevention measures.

Ours is a satellite based system, but it still requires a decent GSM mobile phone signal to call NavTrak themselves and them them it's been stolen. Actually, ours doesn't work like that. Ours is the basic system, whereby we need to call NavTrak, tell them its been stolen and they call our car and switch on the tracking system. but it does use the GPS signal to tell the NavTrak guys where our car is.

Ho hum.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
28th September 2007, 10:48 AM
You kept that quiet. I had one for a few days as a hire car. I loved it.

Hmmmmm....

Speak to your Hubbie Lesley. I told him when we changed it.:D ;)

N12 JLK
28th September 2007, 07:34 PM
Dont get me involved;)

markyc
28th September 2007, 08:17 PM

I would agree with you big time on point one Fergus but trust me if you have a Tracker fitted in your car and it's activated when stolen there is a 99% chance the Police will find it - eventually - cause the signal goes on and on and on and can be boosted as well by Tracker. The only ones that aren't found are the ones that the pr!cks manage to get into metal container and keep the doors shut so the signal can't get out :eek: ;)

Scottie
28th September 2007, 10:25 PM
I've had tracker fitted to a couple of my motors.

Thought it always to be good idea.

AndyP & Lenore
29th September 2007, 12:48 AM
I've had tracker fitted to a couple of my motors.

Thought it always to be good idea.

Not sure Fi. If a ned steals my pride and joy and does god-only-knows to it, I'm not sure if I'd just want it replaced.

A.:confused:

euan
29th September 2007, 09:58 AM
Not sure Fi. If a ned steals my pride and joy and does god-only-knows to it, I'm not sure if I'd just want it replaced.

A.:confused:

Of course, that would depend if the police can catch the neds - then I'd have it back in the knowledge that the neds are going to get punished (you hope - but this isn't the thread for that debate!)

I think it's a good idea, it's a deterrent, just wish more insurance companies gave you a discount on it.

AndyP & Lenore
29th September 2007, 12:56 PM
Of course, that would depend if the police can catch the neds - then I'd have it back in the knowledge that the neds are going to get punished (you hope - but this isn't the thread for that debate!)

I think it's a good idea, it's a deterrent, just wish more insurance companies gave you a discount on it.

Totally agree euan.

Trouble is, what sort of punishment will they get, unless it's their 20th offence etc.:rolleyes:

FergusM
29th September 2007, 01:38 PM
When my last car was stolen I was told to sweep the seats if I got it back..and to be very careful in doing so. Police say if it was a junkie they sometimes plany needles in seat so when you sit on them they jag you...

...so if a car gets stolen I'd rather it does not come back.