PDA

View Full Version : Which Sat Nav?

rpn
26th September 2007, 01:34 PM
Me think it's about time for I to move slowly, gingerly and very gradually into the technie world of wireless maps and ditch my twenty years old hardcopy of AA atlas of GB! ;)

So, I'm looking for a Sat Nav but big question is WHICH???? :confused:

Here are some of my prerequisite; Small and compact. Price range of £200 to £300. Easy and cheap to upgrade in the future. UK and Europe maps minimum. Potable between cars and my motorbike too if possible. Obviously in a water-resistance casing and finally able to download different voices. I would like to hear BA from the A Team to say something like "in 200 yards turn left you fool, sucker" :) :) :)

Any advice and recommendations ????

A colleague suggested Tom Tom 720!

AndyP & Lenore
26th September 2007, 01:45 PM
I 'ain't gettin' on no plane, fool!:D

Sorry, doesn't help your request, but couldn't resist.

A.:D

FergusM
26th September 2007, 02:01 PM
When I get round to getting one (keep on "borrowing" my dads TOMTOM GO 30 as he never uses it)...it would probably be a TOMTOM720 also...

Good place to check prices http://www.find-satnav-deals.co.uk/

I have no idea about bike casings etc, certainly know voices can be changed and TOMTOM are very easy to use.

For a mount...look at something like http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop.php?action=productshow&id=427 as you can get an "active" mount that saves it being on windscreen with cable trailing across the dash... Just need to determine if it fits a TOMTOM720...

Garmin Nuvi are probably the other option but having never used one I can't really comment... There is one from Mini that customises the cursor to look like a mini... http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-interior-ice/143344-official-mini-portable-navigation-unit.html

john
26th September 2007, 02:24 PM
I have the snooper indego, very pleased with it.

I can lend it to you so you can try it out and make up your own mind.

N12 JLK
26th September 2007, 07:25 PM
Tom Tom is good.

Do not go for a Navman. We have one in work and I have attempted to use it few times and it has never worked once. It has been sent back and returned again and still does not work.

Was left stranded in Manchester with the Navman and had to attempt to get to Sunderland. Went to a petrol station and a very nice man gave me directions so got there in the end with no thanks to the Sat Nav!:(

illegalhunter
26th September 2007, 07:53 PM
tom tom ,it dont matter about the number

bsimage
26th September 2007, 08:15 PM
Tom Tom
You can Download everything from net, just google it, voices, Speed cams etc.

sedgie
26th September 2007, 08:33 PM
Garmin Nuvi :D :D :D dead easy to use:o ;)

Sheilz
26th September 2007, 11:19 PM
My tomtom's ace though it might be a bit bulkier than some other models. I've got the 300. My first was the 'one' and had to have it replaced every month for three months and finally the shop upgraded to the 300. I think that was just to stop me appearing and whinning in front of a full shop with uncanny regularity! Touch wood, now two years old and no probs. Downloading is genuinely easy (I can do it) instructions are idiot proof (I use it) and the screen is easy to follow (I manage it).:D

BJN
27th September 2007, 10:58 PM
Tom Tom rider is about your only water proof choice for the bike.

However I've got a Tom Tom one, which I keep in my inside jacket pocket, could hear it up to about 50mph until i changed the exhaust on bike, now its more like 30.

You can just programme it, stick it under the bike seat and check every now and again as it will let you browse your route which is handy

Craig
27th September 2007, 11:06 PM
I have Tom Tom as do quite a few vehicles at my work. I wouldn't buy any other sat nav as it is so dummy friendly (and there are good few dummies at my work. ;) ), easy to use, and update etc.

The 720 is probably the best of all worlds within your price range, or if you get the 920 it has worldwide maps on it and a 20GB hard drive. :cool: Both also do handsfree calls for your phone thro the device. :)