PDA

View Full Version : 1st mini fault

asuds86
20th September 2007, 04:02 PM
My mini has developed its first fault.
The coolant runs out very quickly (every week or so) and needs topped up. I went in to JC Aberdeen to get checked out and was told that no leak was found so there must not be a problem :mad:. Since then the coolant temperature gauge keeps going up to the max, red light goes on and fan kicks in, but only when the car is stopped with engine running. When the car is moving all seems fine.

Has anyone else had any similar problems with their minis or knows of any warranty issues to do with this? JC seemed very unwilling to look into the problem any further so it would be nice to go in with a list of possibilities to them.

Cheers:)

stoney
20th September 2007, 04:08 PM
yes i had that as well it was my water bottle but when they fitted my new one it the bust my radiotor it was all replaced under warranty as well hope this helps

Gismo
20th September 2007, 05:02 PM
Take it in with the reservoir empty and ask why that can happen.
Check the oil dipstick and check for any emulsion, also, check inside the rocker cover, where you top the oil up, again looking for emulsion.

Is the exhaust smokey, any other tell tale signs, ie, check the heat shield underneath the coolant water bottle reservoir, if that's leaking it'll be a nice green colour due to the anti freeze.

There's obviously something wrong

s12cot
20th September 2007, 05:22 PM
could this possibly be a head gasket problem??

Gismo
20th September 2007, 05:28 PM
could this possibly be a head gasket problem??
Exactly why i asked my questions :) i'm hoping it's not the case though :eek:

s12cot
21st September 2007, 08:24 AM
Exactly why i asked my questions :) i'm hoping it's not the case though :eek:

hope not either:eek: :eek: :eek:

asuds86
21st September 2007, 06:14 PM
Take it in with the reservoir empty and ask why that can happen.
Check the oil dipstick and check for any emulsion, also, check inside the rocker cover, where you top the oil up, again looking for emulsion.

Is the exhaust smokey, any other tell tale signs, ie, check the heat shield underneath the coolant water bottle reservoir, if that's leaking it'll be a nice green colour due to the anti freeze.

There's obviously something wrong

Oil is fine. Exhaust isn't smokey. No sign of leaks onto the bottle resevoir.

Got car booked in for next week to get checked again so I will make sure the resevoir is empty this time.

markyc
21st September 2007, 08:05 PM
My mini has developed its first fault.
The coolant runs out very quickly (every week or so) and needs topped up. I went in to JC Aberdeen to get checked out and was told that no leak was found so there must not be a problem :mad:. Since then the coolant temperature gauge keeps going up to the max, red light goes on and fan kicks in, but only when the car is stopped with engine running. When the car is moving all seems fine.

Has anyone else had any similar problems with their minis or knows of any warranty issues to do with this? JC seemed very unwilling to look into the problem any further so it would be nice to go in with a list of possibilities to them.

Cheers:)

How many times have we heard that from a dealer ??? :eek: :D ;)

Gorbash12346
3rd October 2007, 12:52 PM
ok heres where to look...

check the bottom of the radiator is not bulging? it should be completely straight and looking from the back of thhe radiator facing the same way the car is check the lower left hand corner of the radiator is it corroded and visible signs of leakage?? this is one of the other common spots, lastly check around the thermostat housing for signs of leakage. if it's been topped up a lot then there probably won't be much anti-freeze left anyway so it staining the heatshields is now unlikely.

this is all assuming that it's not the worst case scenario of a head gasket..