PDA

View Full Version : My Clubman views

john
20th September 2007, 11:20 AM
Well no that I have seen it in the flesh this was my thoughts.

I like the car, but think it would look better without the rear door. BUT if it had to have the door I am glad its on the drivers side.

I think that the visibility will be effected by the door for left hand drive cars, but for us we will not notice it.

Given the choice of switching sides for the door or doing away with it altogether I would DO Away with it.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k196/dycecooper/DSC00954.jpg

john
20th September 2007, 11:20 AM
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k196/dycecooper/DSC00955.jpg

john
20th September 2007, 11:21 AM
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k196/dycecooper/DSC00956.jpg

Scottie
20th September 2007, 12:19 PM
that is just plain wrong the whole thing.

Gismo
20th September 2007, 01:25 PM
I really don't like the black rear pillars

stoney
20th September 2007, 02:41 PM
horible do not like it one bit !!!!!!!!

john
20th September 2007, 02:56 PM
horible do not like it one bit !!!!!!!!

I think we established most peoples opinion on its looks a while ago:rolleyes:

stoney
20th September 2007, 03:03 PM

:p :p:p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Burple
20th September 2007, 03:19 PM

Aye.. but your plan sounds spot on ;):D:D

john
20th September 2007, 03:31 PM
Some people change their mind too:)

I new a guy who hated 4x4's but I think he too has changed his mind:D

AndyP & Lenore
20th September 2007, 03:51 PM
Interesting point of view on the 3rd door John.

Fwiw, i think that car looks cracking. really like the black rear pillars, and the double rear doors.

I like. Is that yours?

euan
20th September 2007, 03:57 PM
The black rear panels make it look like a Renault van.

It looks ok from the front though :D:D:D the back just doesn't work for me still.

john
20th September 2007, 04:09 PM
Interesting point of view on the 3rd door John.

Fwiw, i think that car looks cracking. really like the black rear pillars, and the double rear doors.

I like. Is that yours?

This is not my one.

At the moment you cannot spec the pillars in body colour but I have that covered and will have them in body colour.;)

john
20th September 2007, 05:17 PM
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k196/dycecooper/DSC00964.jpg

john
20th September 2007, 05:18 PM
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k196/dycecooper/DSC00965.jpg

john
20th September 2007, 05:18 PM
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k196/dycecooper/DSC00961.jpg

Scottie
20th September 2007, 05:19 PM
Oh take that second last picture of it is so bad.:D

john
20th September 2007, 05:19 PM
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k196/dycecooper/DSC00958.jpg

Gismo
20th September 2007, 05:31 PM
:eek: those roof coloured rear pillars are worse, maybe if you could get them in body colour, would obviously be ok if the roof colour was body coloured :rolleyes:

john
20th September 2007, 06:00 PM
Oh take that second last picture of it is so bad.:D

But not as bad as your spelling;)

Scottie
20th September 2007, 06:15 PM
But not as bad as your spelling;)

watch it now.:p my spelling is no that bad.;) ;) :D

vintageb3
20th September 2007, 07:19 PM
Mazda comes to mind...they are terrible looking!!!!

mark

The Dogfather
20th September 2007, 09:39 PM
Sometimes you just can't make your mind, like or loathe. I wait till I see a few on the road then decide.

However as a way of carrying dogs they look like the perfect MINI. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little bit of looks for practicality.

euan
20th September 2007, 10:52 PM
Sometimes you just can't make your mind, like or loathe. I wait till I see a few on the road then decide.

However as a way of carrying dogs they look like the perfect MINI. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little bit of looks for practicality.

Really? An RS4 or RS6 looks great and (fuel consumption and purchase price aside) are practical cars.

This looks like someone stamped on the brake pedal in a mini and ended up with a transit in the back.

Smurf
21st September 2007, 08:30 AM
I like it! Apart from those rear pillars.... body colour PLEASE!!

AndyP & Lenore
21st September 2007, 10:02 AM
I like it! Apart from those rear pillars.... body colour PLEASE!!

No no no no no. Leave as is. Looks cool like that. :cool:

FergusM
21st September 2007, 10:17 AM
I struggle to see how a Clubman will ever look cool... just sooo ugly...

KenL
21st September 2007, 05:04 PM
Why did they not just make the front doors shorter and fit proper rear doors, just like every other manufacturer does?

I do not think this will make anywhere near as many sales as it would have done if thought out better.

markyc
21st September 2007, 08:15 PM
Like the pics John and like the look off the Clubman :D Depending on the body colour the rear pillars may suit being left as they are and the third door certainly does get folks to voice their opinions, mine ? I kind of like it, it's all about being different from other manafacturers. It'll sell in bucket loads :D ;)

N12 JLK
22nd September 2007, 07:45 AM
wouldnt say I hate it but its not my cup of tea:(

Clare1
13th October 2007, 04:48 PM
Like the pics John and like the look off the Clubman :D Depending on the body colour the rear pillars may suit being left as they are and the third door certainly does get folks to voice their opinions, mine ? I kind of like it, it's all about being different from other manafacturers. It'll sell in bucket loads :D ;)

Well said Mark!!

The Clubman is completely different from any other Manufacturers Cars, why would MINI follow the crowd!?

The Clubman is unique and a statement of individuality!
:D :)

KenL
14th October 2007, 11:38 PM
Have you taken orders for (m)any Clubmans Clare?

Clare1
16th October 2007, 10:30 AM
We have quite a few orders for the Clubman, and lots of people who have Registered Interest on the car, who are really excited about seeing the car and driving it!

duncan
16th October 2007, 11:33 AM
Still don't like the front of it, but I like the back, depending on the colour.

The Black and Silver are great, the other colours are pretty bogging.
As for the doors. Wouldn't use the suicide one, and like the back ones.

KenL
16th October 2007, 07:45 PM
Still don't like the front of it,

Do you mean the front of new R56 MINIs or the Clubman in particular?

duncan
16th October 2007, 09:21 PM
Do you mean the front of new R56 MINIs or the Clubman in particular?

The R56 Ken.

Crombers
17th October 2007, 08:33 AM
I reckon it looks ok (albeit I'm not a big R56 fan)

Great if you've got 'Rover' to lug about :)

N12 JLK
25th October 2007, 08:32 PM
I reckon it looks ok (albeit I'm not a big R56 fan)

Great if you've got 'Rover' to lug about :)

Love ours, don't you all think that by having all this negative talk about R56 MINI's will turn new members off looking at NMS when browsing the pages, what if they had bought one and wanted to join a club and go out on runs and decided to go to another site due to this. Just my thoughts.
Yes I'm waiting for the replies that this is an open forum and you can say what you feel but its getting just a bit tedious and it's beginning to turn me off NMS.

Craig
25th October 2007, 08:49 PM
it's all about peoples own opinion tho Jason/Lesley, which is what forums are all about. Yes, we go out on runs and have fun, but everyone is allowed to say what they think of the cars.

That means that new members or people thinking about buying a car can make an informed choice.. Good and the bad.

There are people here who like the R56 like yourselves (and Ken), however there are those that because of the design and for me the problems, wouldn't or wish they had never changed...:( :( :(

everybody is different and that is what the world is like..

AndyP & Lenore
25th October 2007, 08:52 PM
everybody is different and that is what the world is like..

My mum used to say.... "If we were all the same, it would be boring.":D

Wise words.;)

A.:D

N12 JLK
25th October 2007, 09:16 PM
yup it would be boring

Scottie
9th November 2007, 11:14 PM
well I saw the new Clubman tonight. Sat in it had good look round slammed the back door a few times put a thumb print on the rear view mirror.

Looks a very well built solid car :rolleyes: much nicer in the flesh but I won't be buying one.

N12 JLK
9th November 2007, 11:23 PM
When I told Kerr you were going tonight he said " I bet Fiona will buy a Clubman." :eek: :o ;)

Have you seen the ads, they are good.

AndyP & Lenore
10th November 2007, 02:02 AM
well I saw the new Clubman tonight. Sat in it had good look round slammed the back door a few times put a thumb print on the rear view mirror.

Looks a very well built solid car :rolleyes: much nicer in the flesh but I won't be buying one.

PMSL Fiona.:D :D :D

A.;)

Craig
10th November 2007, 09:47 AM
yeah saw it last night and gave it a good going over... as it's built around the R56, I won't be buying one.. it's still got the same engine etc... :(

what would look nice tho is a Dooper Clubman in Pepper white with Black roof and Back Panels, lowered with darkened windows (rear ones only obviously;) ) and 19" rims... :D :D Lookin mean and costing pennies to run.

Got the salesman to admit that the only reason for not changing over the door/petrol tank was cost cutting measures. Says it all really about the way MINI have gone.. it's more about the profit than the product or the customer..:(

KenL
10th November 2007, 03:55 PM
I didn't make it last night but dropped into to Peter Vardy this afternoon.

The car does look a lot better in the flesh than in pics.

The stupid side door is still stupid in my view. I still think that having it on the WRONG side is a total smack in the face to MINI's largest market and where the car is made.

The rear doors look "cool" but what really concerned me was the extreme lack of rear vision in the car. It is not really the split in the rear door but the rear seats that really seem to obscure the view, the rear seats must be set up much higher than in the normal MINI.

The boot is bigger, sure, but it is still smaller than most of the competition, no danger I could get my golf clubs in there!

Overall, for me, it looks better than expected, but there is no way I would buy one.

zimbo
10th November 2007, 04:28 PM
Well I'm just back from going to have a look @ the clubman in the flesh and managed to also get a road test in a Cooper D version. The car was really good to drive but wasnt as perky as I thought it would be, but that'll prob be coz its brand new and not been broken in yet it's lot quieter on the road than I thought it was going to be as well... The new stop/start fuel saving thingy- ma-jig is a bit strange and thankfully it can be switched off if you want to.

So all in all the Diesel is making me very tempted to get one but NOT as a Clubman coz I still think that drivers side rear door is just plain STUPID (just my opinion) rear visibility is very restricted with the two door set up, would have been better I think if they had just used a single tailgate like regular estate cars do. Also saw the new Hot Chocolate colour and I'm sorry to say it but thats a big NO NO!!!

The dealer I went to has six Clubmans, two in the showroom and four demonstrators. Inside was a very nice looking (for a clubman) 'S' in Dark Silver & Black fully kitted with the fancy alloys, sat-nav, auto A/C the whole lot. That wont be cheap!! :D and a new Hot Chocolate colour Cooper with Hot Chocolate lounge seats (horrible...) and outside were a silver/black Cooper D (the one I had a shot of :D), a PW/black Cooper, a Lightning Blue/silver 'S' and finally a Nightfire Red/black Cooper D.

A Diesel R56 is very tempting especially with the £35 year road tax and 65+ MPG.

So we will see what happens... :D

Scottie
10th November 2007, 05:18 PM
Did anyone else notice the latch thing for the side door.:eek: :eek: :eek:

It is so not right it's a defo for banging your head against and the awful chunk of rubber they have put there in the hope to soften the blow.:rolleyes:

KenL
10th November 2007, 05:25 PM
A Diesel R56 is very tempting especially with the £35 year road tax and 65+ MPG.

The urban myths of the mpg of the Cooper D (I refuse to call it a fekkin' dooper :rolleyes: ) seem to be growing.

I would expect owners would get ~50-55mpg overall, just like almost every other turbo diesel.

ianking
10th November 2007, 07:01 PM
My neighbour has a cooper D and he is averaging 60mpg. Not bad at all.

KenL
10th November 2007, 07:44 PM
My neighbour has a cooper D and he is averaging 60mpg. Not bad at all.

Yes, excellent. What sort of driving is this with, mostly motorway?

ny152
11th November 2007, 01:48 AM
Yes, excellent. What sort of driving is this with, mostly motorway?

I have a (pre stop-start) dooper :).

Average over 4000 miles is bordering on 63mpg.
If I stick to motorways 80% or so of the time this rises to 68mpg.
The last few days I've spent most of my time in short runs on city roads and spent roughly 40% of the time stuck in traffic jams. Still getting 58mpg though!

In strictly money terms if I put in £30 of diesel I get 450 or so miles of motoring. The obc shows 100mile range and the fuel gauge has just dropped to two bars.

Went to take a look at the Clubman today and liked it more than I expected. It seemed better proportioned than in its photos and the barn doors opened very smoothly on the gas struts. Clubdoor could be better (i.e. on passengers side!) but helps a little bit. Biggest disapointment was the boot not being as big as expected, but the false floor is handy.

If (when?) I buy another MINI then I think i'd go for the Clubman. On the other hand, might be tempted by the Fiat500 or an Alfa by then.

KenL
11th November 2007, 02:52 PM
Fantastic figures, Goldmini.

ny152
11th November 2007, 07:24 PM
Fantastic figures, Goldmini.

I've always been very dubious about quoted mpg figures, but got to say that the dooper has proved excellent. From what I hear the petrol figures aren't too bad either :).

KenL
11th November 2007, 08:47 PM
I've always been very dubious about quoted mpg figures, but got to say that the dooper has proved excellent. From what I hear the petrol figures aren't too bad either :).

No, they are good but I think they are optimistic.

They quote ~60mpg for the petrol Cooper for extra-urban - I doubt that is achievable.

ajamesj
11th November 2007, 09:07 PM
Iam averaging about the same a steady 60 mpg unless I travel on motorways and dual carriageways recent trip from dumfries to arbroath averaged 72mpg I had a massive grin by the end of the run. :D