PDA

View Full Version : F1 gets interesting....

monkimagic
14th September 2007, 12:33 AM
...but not on track.

McLaren have been stripped of their points in the 2007 Formula One constructors' championship after the outcome of the "spygate" row.

The team were also fined a record $100m (£49.2m), which includes any prize and television money they would have earned from the constructors' championship.
But drivers Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso can keep their points. The team must also prove there is no Ferrari "intellectual property" in their cars next year before racing.

The Dogfather
14th September 2007, 06:15 AM
how the hell did a photocopy shop know to blow the whistle? I still think that Mclaren have been set up.

Gismo
14th September 2007, 07:37 AM
Somethings not quite right about the whole thing, but, it would appear that mcLaren are guilty, so, justice is probably deserved.

I suppose it shows the drivers had nothing to do with it........:rolleyes:

Ever since the rules changed Ferrari have been way off the pace and even Schuey's driving couldn't make the difference to win the title

Mini Ecosse
14th September 2007, 08:22 AM
It seems to me a very unfair decision.
The company I work for make it very clear that if I pass on any sensitive information to a competitor then it's down the road for me.
In this F1 debacle it was a Ferrari employee who passed on info, I know he was suspended, but surely Ferrari are responsible for the security of their information. It would appear they are trying to divert attention away from the real issues in their own Team.
If the FIA think that there was any wrong doing why were both Teams not penalised, why should McLaren be the only Team to suffer if a disgruntled Ferrari employee passes on sensitive information?

It also highlights just how much money, politics, car sales and street cred are influenced by F1

Craig
14th September 2007, 08:30 AM
Have to agree with Stephen on this one... In my job, if I gave away information, not only would I be sacked, but I'd probably end up in the Tower of London... LOL! :D

Ferrari have basically got off the hook, their guy seems to have passed this document onto someone at McLaren. What no-one has been told is, did McLaren use that information to get an "edge", an "enhancement" to be able to beat their rivals and effectively cheat?

Also, McLaren didn't break into Ferrari HQ and steal the document thinking "If we get this info, we can beat those boys in RED...:o " The document was given to them, by what is reportedly a disgruntled Ferrari employee.

I cannot see how only 1 party is being punished, but then again Ferrari has always had it "their way" when it comes to the governing body..:(

Gismo
14th September 2007, 08:33 AM
I think it boils down to Mclaren knowingly using the "stolen" infirmation, yes, the Ferrari guy was suspended as far as can go within the firms regulations, how can Ferrari be penalised for their own employee giving out their secrets?

Craig
14th September 2007, 08:37 AM
I think it boils down to Mclaren knowingly using the "stolen" infirmation, yes, the Ferrari guy was suspended as far as can go within the firms regulations, how can Ferrari be penalised for their own employee giving out their secrets?

one word "Security". If info from where I work got out, as I said, I would be out of a job, however my place of work would be investigated and fined for allowing the information out.

I think this should be the same for Ferrari. Their slack security allowed this to happen.

I come back to your point tho', where is the evidence to say that McLaren "knowingly" used the information in the document for their benefit. I haven't seen anything reported about that? :rolleyes:

Gismo
14th September 2007, 08:49 AM
one word "Security". If info from where I work got out, as I said, I would be out of a job, however my place of work would be investigated and fined for allowing the information out
I expect that all staff would have had to have signed some kind of secrecy statement stating that they were not allowed to divulge any employer knowledge or designs, standard protocol worldwide for many differing jobs including mine and yours most likely.
But, how can you enforce that in reality, and be fined yourself if an employee decides to defect and dish out the information ?

Nowt to do with security, sure it's an issue, but the most secure minded business in the world cannot stop someone from passing on information, it's what happens when the info is passed on that is in question

We are all waiting for exactly what it was that the secret is, but, we are not obliged to know since it was dealt with in the courts and is in fact a secret

Mini Ecosse
14th September 2007, 11:08 AM
I expect that all staff would have had to have signed some kind of secrecy statement stating that they were not allowed to divulge any employer knowledge or designs, standard protocol worldwide for many differing jobs including mine and yours most likely.
But, how can you enforce that in reality, and be fined yourself if an employee decides to defect and dish out the information ?

Nowt to do with security, sure it's an issue, but the most secure minded business in the world cannot stop someone from passing on information, it's what happens when the info is passed on that is in question

We are all waiting for exactly what it was that the secret is, but, we are not obliged to know since it was dealt with in the courts and is in fact a secret

Well if you cannot fine Ferrari for their security blunders why fine McLaren for receiving the info? Will wait until later today to see full report from FIA, this may shed more light on this issue.

Stephen

Gismo
14th September 2007, 11:12 AM
Well if you cannot fine Ferrari for their security blunders why fine McLaren for receiving the info? Will wait until later today to see full report from FIA, this may shed more light on this issue.

Stephen
I think you're missing my point, it's one thing to give out proprietary information and it's another knowingly using the information, as you say, maybe we need more information.

I'd just like to add, my comments are not based on the facts of this dispute between Ferrari and McLaren, more based on the issue of maintaining your staff to be made to keep secrets and for them to divulge to others and for them then to use it.
I did of course use the team names for this purpose