PDA

View Full Version : My First Mini;

liam.smart
10th September 2007, 03:31 PM
Hi everyone,

Looking to buy my first Mini Cooper S and just have a few questions before I commit to buying. I am buying a used one just to make that clear (wish I could afford a new one but never mind....)

- The new Mini Cooper S comes with a turbo instead of a supercharger. Is this because the supercharger has to many problems?

- How long does the supercharger last? I think I read somewhere that they should be replaced every 70k miles. Is that right? If so, at what cost?

- How importants is the milaege on the mini's? They are BMW engines so I'm assuming the engine should be rock solid. For example I would never even contemplate buying a vauxhall corsa that had 70k on the clock, but as the mini is BMW, they should last alot longer yeah?

Anyways thats my questions, and as you can tell I'm just getting a bit of more info before I buy anything. So anyone that replies, thanks in advance!

Many thanks,
Liam

Gismo
10th September 2007, 03:48 PM
Hi Liam, welcome to the site :)
To answer your questions, i'm sure the supercharger has a mean time to failure life, not sure it's only 70k though, in any case, there'll be plenty available if it needs replacing and you could always go aftermarket and get a better design.
I think the main reason to go to a turbo was for better fuel emissions, but could be wrong there, no real bad history for the change

Anyone wanting to buy a used car always wants the lowest miles available, but, the engines are pretty much solid enough, the engine is a Chrysler, made in South America, jointly developed with BMW.
Given the choice i'd rather be buying the chrysler engine than a Corsa one, but, the Corsa engine is tried and tested too, needs to be for the thrashing they generally get.
Not many young folks can afford the Mini, compared to a Corsa which will be cheaper to insure etc
But there are a few young uns on here who run Mini's :)

Bazthemod
10th September 2007, 04:01 PM
But there are a few young uns on here who run Mini's :)

Who also previously had a Corsa and hated it :p:D:p

The Modern Mini Magazine has a buying guide to a used Cooper S in its current issue if i recall correctly... maybe worth a gander :)

Welcome to the site btw!

Craig
10th September 2007, 04:54 PM
Bonnie is right, the main reason for the change over to Turbo was for emissions and fuel economy because of all the "oh my god the planet will be dead in 20 years" over-reaction people... :rolleyes: ;) :D

MINI William
10th September 2007, 07:35 PM
there are a few young ones on here that have a mini and love them me being one at 18 (August).i would have a mini over a corsa anyday hence thats why ive go one lol:D .and welcome to the site

Bumble
10th September 2007, 08:45 PM
Welcome to the site!
Lynn

monkimagic
13th September 2007, 12:45 PM
Go with the Mini Liam, you will not look back

The Dogfather
13th September 2007, 09:08 PM
I don't even drive a MINI anymore but I would recommend one. If you can afford it go for a post 04 plater. I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage I read somewhere that the engine itself is pretty bomb proof, shame the same can't be said of the MINI gearbox. However, I'm not sure if the six speeder in the S is a flakey as the Cooper/One box.

I'm sure there'll be someone on here who would know more.

illegalhunter
13th September 2007, 09:20 PM
get the supercharger version