PDA

View Full Version : Motorway speed limit... 70 or 80?

AndyP & Lenore
31st August 2007, 08:15 PM
Lets start a wee debate then....

Should the UK general Motorway Speed Limit be increased from 70 to 80MPH?

A.;)

X30YES
31st August 2007, 08:19 PM
No surprise so far !!!!:rolleyes:

duncan
31st August 2007, 08:37 PM
Ive voted for the 80, but i'd make it the same as the French Autoroutes.
130 km/h in the dry, but 110 km/h in the wet.

Craig
31st August 2007, 10:23 PM
agree with Duncan re the different speeds for rain or no rain.. I think that the American rule that if it starts to rain, then you should put on dipped beam headlights as I think some accidents happen because people can't see other cars in the rain due to spray (and not speed related as I have seen accidents in rain at 30mph as people can't see the car in front) :D

stoney
31st August 2007, 10:29 PM
80 i would say but i think they should be de resiceted in parts

AndyP & Lenore
31st August 2007, 10:42 PM
Disagree on the drop in speed relating to rain.:( There's no reason why a wet road should restrict your speed. In actual fact, while I was going through my Part 2 training to become an ADI, we were specifically trained NOT to reduce speed on a motorway just because it was raining, and this was while it was raining fairly hard.:eek:

However, I do agree with the spray issue = reduced visibility. In the same training session we were told only to reduce our speed in the event of rain if our visibility was impaired. And, like everyone I'm sure, I double my distance between me and the car in front when the road is wet anyway. That doesn't necessarily mean I have to reduce my speed. Although I accept that invariably, on a Motorway if it starts to rain, almost everyone slows down. Therefore in order to maintain a safe distance between you and the car in front, you don't have any choice but to slow down.:o

A.:D

Craig
31st August 2007, 10:48 PM
Disagree on the drop in speed relating to rain.:( There's no reason why a wet road should restrict your speed. In actual fact, while I was going through my Part 2 training to become an ADI, we were specifically trained NOT to reduce speed on a motorway just because it was raining, and this was while it was raining fairly hard.:eek:

However, I do agree with the spray issue = reduced visibility. In the same training session we were told only to reduce our speed in the event of rain if our visibility was impaired. And, like everyone I'm sure, I double my distance between me and the car in front when the road is wet anyway. That doesn't necessarily mean I have to reduce my speed. Although I accept that invariably, on a Motorway if it starts to rain, almost everyone slows down. Therefore in order to maintain a safe distance between you and the car in front, you don't have any choice but to slow down.:o

all you had to say was that you slow down when it rains and that we are right...:rolleyes: ;) :D

AndyP & Lenore
31st August 2007, 10:53 PM
all you had to say was that you slow down when it rains and that we are right...:rolleyes: ;) :D

But I don't:eek: . Unless I'm forced to because some other ass does:rolleyes: .

And for the avoidance of doubt, you're never right.;)

duncan
1st September 2007, 12:22 AM
Note the difference between rain, and wet, as I posted ;)

vintageb3
1st September 2007, 08:34 AM
Well...I think that they should drop the speed to 55MPH.

I don't see the need for 70...or 80MPH.

I don't believe in speeding and never ever go over any speed limits.

I am, at this time, awaiting canonization....and then after I get the trival bit about the three miricales out of the way...I will be known as Saint Mark of the A92.

God Bless you All.

P.S. Anyone know where I can get a new speedo cable for my S?

mark

AndyP & Lenore
1st September 2007, 10:01 AM
Note the difference between rain, and wet, as I posted ;)

Doesn't make a jot of difference. I was referring to the two being the same. Very difficult to get wet roads without rain.:rolleyes:

And note my sentence which clearly said "There's no reason why a wet road should restrict your speed." And I stand by that.

Scottie
1st September 2007, 10:18 AM
Doesn't make a jot of difference. I was referring to the two being the same. Very difficult to get wet roads without rain.:rolleyes:

And note my sentence which clearly said "There's no reason why a wet road should restrict your speed." And I stand by that.

actually I think your wrong in what you saying Andy.

If you want I will tell you for why.

Now I know you quoted on about your ADI of whatever it was.

I'm a member of the IAM taking refresher every 3 years.;) just thought I'd throw that in there is we are quoting orginisations.

What about stopping distance.

How long was the road dry before it got wet =greasy road condition

Obviously there is many things I could mention why you should reduce your speed when the road is wet.

So to sum up either you were not thinking when you posted you thoughts or you've no idea about road conditions or simply you didn't think it all through.

Take that then you wee/big bugger.:eek: :p

OH I'M IN A GOOD MOOD TODAY.:D :eek:

duncan
1st September 2007, 10:50 AM

Yes, but the road can remain wet after its stopped raining. Thats the difference.

And if you don't want to restrict your speed, then fair enough. I hope you have plenty of clean underpants.;)

AndyP & Lenore
1st September 2007, 02:06 PM
actually I think your wrong in what you saying Andy.

If you want I will tell you for why.

Now I know you quoted on about your ADI of whatever it was.

I'm a member of the IAM taking refresher every 3 years.;) just thought I'd throw that in there is we are quoting orginisations.

What about stopping distance.

How long was the road dry before it got wet =greasy road condition

Obviously there is many things I could mention why you should reduce your speed when the road is wet.

So to sum up either you were not thinking when you posted you thoughts or you've no idea about road conditions or simply you didn't think it all through.

Take that then you wee/big bugger.:eek: :p

OH I'M IN A GOOD MOOD TODAY.:D :eek:

It was generally accepted between us ADI's that we were much higher trained than you IAM guys/gals, but let's not get into a p!ss!ng match.:eek: :D

Remember that I'm only talking about motorways here..... not A class or B class roads where you could spin off on a formerly dry - now wet and greasy 'cos it stopped raining:rolleyes: road.

The fact is, rain/wet motorway roads should not require you to reduce your speed. Reduced visibility should.:D

Doncha just love reasoned discussion?

KenL
1st September 2007, 08:12 PM
The fact is, rain/wet motorway roads should not require you to reduce your speed. Reduced visibility should.:D

What about the gap you leave? That seems the main problem to me when it is wet or foggy.

Some people charge up the a*se of the car in front in wet conditions - not good!

AndyP & Lenore
1st September 2007, 08:20 PM
What about the gap you leave? That seems the main problem to me when it is wet or foggy.

Some people charge up the a*se of the car in front in wet conditions - not good!

Fully agree Ken.

But you can leave a bigger gap without reducing your speed.;)

Scottie
1st September 2007, 09:05 PM
face it Andy on this one you are WRONG.:D

Please exercise some sense and don't advocate not reducing speed in the wet on the roads any roads.:p

vintageb3
1st September 2007, 09:18 PM
How long was the road dry before it got wet

About ten miles.:D

mark

Scottie
1st September 2007, 09:21 PM
About ten miles.:D

mark

e'hh h'mm :D

AndyP & Lenore
1st September 2007, 09:36 PM
face it Andy on this one you are WRONG.:D

Please exercise some sense and don't advocate not reducing speed in the wet on the roads any roads.:p

Not a chance. Sorry Fi. I genuinely do not believe this to be wrong.:p

If I am on a motorway and it starts to rain, if my vision is not impaired, and I am able to stop within the distance I can see to be clear, I absolutely do not drop my speed, just 'cos of a bit of rain.:rolleyes:

However, so that you don't all think I'm a lunatic who drives at 90 on a Motorway no-matter what the conditions are: in the event of heavy rain, with severe spray and clearly reduced visibility, of course I'm gonna reduce my speed, and increase the distance between me and the car in front. I also accept that you should always drive at a speed that allows you to stop within the distance you can see to be clear.

Listen to your inner-self Fi, you know it to be right....:D

AndyP & Lenore
1st September 2007, 09:45 PM
From The Highway Code. Gov. UK (http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk):

Wet weather
202: In wet weather, stopping distances will be at least double those required for stopping on dry roads (see Stopping Distances). This is because your tyres have less grip on the road. In wet weather

you should keep well back from the vehicle in front. This will increase your ability to see and plan ahead

if the steering becomes unresponsive, it probably means that water is preventing the tyres from gripping the road. Ease off the accelerator and slow down gradually

the rain and spray from vehicles may make it difficult to see and be seen.

With the exception of the reference to steering becoming unresponsive, where in the above text does it tell you to slow down in wet weather?

Scottie
1st September 2007, 11:20 PM
Wet or Oily Surfaces:
The main concern here is skidding or 'aquaplaning'.
Aquaplaning is used to describe a situation where there is a build-up of water between the road surface and the car tyres, causing them to lose contact with the road surface - often leading to nasty accidents.

We all know wet surfaces and gravel roads increase the risk of our vehicle going into a skid. So when driving in these conditions you should try to remember the 'Smooth ABC' plan:

A: Accelerate smoothly
B: Brake smoothly
C: Corner smoothly.

Skidding is caused by one or a combination of the following things:

Motorists driving too fast
Too much acceleration
Sudden or too much braking
Faulty brakes
Wet or oily road surface
Losing traction - usually caused by over-steering.
When driving in these conditions, you can improve your chances of having a safe journey by reducing your speed and allowing the tyres to grip the road.

With only 1/12th of an inch of water between the tyres and the road, each tyre has to displace a gallon of water per second.

Road Casualty Reduction

Road Policing Strategy
Speed Enforcement
Congestion Issues
As a result of road traffic accidents an average of 34,351 people are killed or seriously injured every year in Great Britain - 3,905 of these casualties are children..

In addition a further 254,000 people suffer injuries to a lesser degree.

On a annual basis road traffic accidents result in excess of 280,000 casualties. This is equivalent to 767 people injured each day.

Durham Constabulary is actively engaged in supporting the Government National Road Safety Strategy - "Tomorrow's Roads - Safer For Everyone"

The strategy has set three ambitious targets in road casualty reduction. By 2010 the aim is to achieve, compared with the average for 1994-1998:

A 40% reduction in the number of people killed or seriously injured (KSI) in road accidents.
A 50% reduction in the number of children killed or seriously injured (a child is defined as being under 16yrs.).
A 10% reduction in slight casualty rate.
At a local level ( Durham County Council & Darlington Borough area's) the following graphs record our progress towards these targets:

Fatal/Serious Casualties 2005/2006.

The year 2005 ended with us exceeding our annual target figure and January recorded casualties 30% above the monthly target. February & March has seen casualty numbers
"hovering" around the target line but failing to record any significant downward movement. In this category we remain off course the 2006 prediction recording above the target line.

Graph Fatal-Serious Casualties 2005-2006.(29 KB)

Fatal/Serious CHILD Casualties 2005/2006.

During 2005 child KSI casualties recorded a rising pattern. Fortunately this trend slowed down during December/January & February. March however has seen a slight rise but we still managed to stay below the monthly target line.

Graph Fatal-Serious CHILD Casualties 2005-2006.(28 KB)

Slight Injury Casualties - 2005/2006.

In this category we continue to remain on target the current 2006 prediction showing that we are still below our Target 2010 figure.

Graph Slight Injury Casualties 2005-2006.(27 KB)

Major Road Accident Causation's.

Speed
Driving at speeds beyond the speed limit or too fast for the circumstances continues to be a major cause of road accidents. During 2005 speed as a road accident causation resulted in 30%of our KSI casualties.

Aggressive/Careless/Reckless Driving
This causation accounted for 20% of KSI casualties.

Alcohol.
Drivers under the influence of alcohol accounted for 14% of KSI casualties.

Pedestrians
During 2005 an increase was recorded in pedestrian
casualties. In the majority of these cases the pedestrians was at fault with 49% of KSI casualties caused by failing to look properly. Alcohol continues to be a major cause for concern with 21% of pedestrian casualties impaired by drink.

What Can YOU Do?

We need to reduce road accident casualties.
We cannot do it alone - we need your help.
Do not exceed the speed limit - it's there for your safety.
Drive at a speed which conditions allow. Many factors will influence this such as wet roads, dazzling sun, volume of traffic.

Have you got the message yet Andy.:p

Think before you don't slow down on wet roads and kill your self or some one else.:D

vintageb3
1st September 2007, 11:51 PM
Hope its not raining tomorrow...the pair of you have got me terrified!:eek:

Wet...Rain....you don't know about the challenges of driving under these condidtions until you have driven a Bedford CF 250 pick up without a load on.;) :D

Separates the men from the boys!:cool:

mark

AndyP & Lenore
2nd September 2007, 12:39 AM
Have you got the message yet Andy.:p

Think before you don't slow down on wet roads and kill your self or some one else.:D

Fi, I have got the message you're trying to preach. Doesn't stop me disagreeing with you.

And enough of this "wet roads" stuff! My point so far has been solely about MOTORWAYS!!! Not A class or B class roads. Although, on a clear A class road, with only slight bends, where road conditions allow, even if it was raining I wouldn't necessarily reduce my speed, JUST 'COS IT'S RAINING!

Quote from your Road Policing text: "Drive at a speed which conditions allow." Makes absolute perfect common sense to me. And is something I do, without doubt.

But that does not mean that as soon as it starts raining, or the tarmac ON A MOTORWAY is wet, I automatically reduce my speed. Your speed should be dictated by the road and vehicle condition, and your ability.

Fi, I've re-read most of the thread and I think the trouble here is everyone's definition of a wet road. I would fully accept in a downpour with a large amount of standing water on the road a reduction in speed is required. At the same time, the chances are that if it is raining that heavy, a large amount of spray will result in poor visibility and so a reduction in speed anyway.

Here's a couple of quick examples for you from Google Images.

A wet road. Would you slow down on this road just because it's wet? Please accept my apologies for the fact this isn't a Motorway road, which I'm trying hard to keep the thread in line with. Edit: Just had another look at this pic and it really is not a good example as visibillity isn't to great here either. B*gg*r.
http://blog.erck.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/WindowsLiveWriter/TheWellesareinWellington_10A58/Picture%20002%5B1%5D.jpg

Whereas this road quite clearly requires a slow down to a navigable crawl. Just thought I'd post the extreme other end of the scale.
http://photos22.flickr.com/24521685_c0b577946a.jpg

At the end of the day Fi, I'm not advocating that no matter how wet a road is, you can blast down it at whatever speed you wish - to do so would be nuts - and I'm not nuts.

But equally, are you advocating that as soon as the first sprinkle of water hits a road you drop your speed down?

A.

Scottie
2nd September 2007, 01:02 AM
yes I do actually tend to reduce my speed on wets roads and for certain if it has just started to rain as IMHO the roads are very slippy at this stage.

In your first pic if I was driving that road in my 4x4 I would for sure reduce my speed. However in your second pic I would for sure speed up a bit so I could spray everyone else.:D

I see no difference whether driving on a A road or a motorway I reduce my speed if the road is wet.

As for the thread title maybe it would have been better to say motorways in Scotland or South of Preston. you'd be lucky to reach 50mph as the roads are that busy

however if I was driving the motorways down there at 50mph and the roads were wet or if it was raining I would again reduce my speed to compensate.:p

Scottie
2nd September 2007, 01:09 AM
At the end of the day Fi, I'm not advocating that no matter how wet a road is, you can blast down it at whatever speed you wish - to do so would be nuts - and I'm not nuts.

A.

this is a quote form one of your posts

"Disagree on the drop in speed relating to rain. There's no reason why a wet road should restrict your speed"

Now obviously I'm not as clever as your good self Andy:p but to me your statement is advocating that no matter how wet a road is you will continue to blast down or up that road at whatever speed you wish.:p

So don't start to back pedal now that you have realised that I am in the right this time round and we have all found out your a speed junkie when the roads are wet.:D

Gismo
2nd September 2007, 03:10 AM
Walks in, eek, runs out screaming :eek:
Andy, a speed freak :eek: slow down man, especially when it's raining and WET on the motorways :p

AndyP & Lenore
2nd September 2007, 10:05 AM
this is a quote form one of your posts

"Disagree on the drop in speed relating to rain. There's no reason why a wet road should restrict your speed"

Now obviously I'm not as clever as your good self Andy:p but to me your statement is advocating that no matter how wet a road is you will continue to blast down or up that road at whatever speed you wish.:p

So don't start to back pedal now that you have realised that I am in the right this time round and we have all found out your a speed junkie when the roads are wet.:D

That's not what I'm advocating and well you know it. You're misinterpreting my statements.:eek: :D

And I'm not backpedalling, I'm just saying that different circumstances require different speeds. I've said all along that a seriously wet road would cause so much spray visibility would be reduced, therefore speed also. However, if no-one was in front of you.......;)

Scottie
2nd September 2007, 10:41 AM
That's not what I'm advocating and well you know it. You're misinterpreting my statements.:eek: :D

And I'm not backpedalling, I'm just saying that different circumstances require different speeds. I've said all along that a seriously wet road would cause so much spray visibility would be reduced, therefore speed also. However, if no-one was in front of you.......;)

Och your to late Andy's a speed freak, Andy's a speed freak, Andy's a speed freak, Andy's a speed freak,..............:p :p :p :p

Craig
2nd September 2007, 11:16 AM
< walks in..... try's to yank the shovel out of Andy's hand........ No Joy!........

let's him dig a bigger hole on his own.....>

:rolleyes: ;) :D

AndyP & Lenore
2nd September 2007, 03:10 PM
< walks in..... try's to yank the shovel out of Andy's hand........ No Joy!........

let's him dig a bigger hole on his own.....>

:rolleyes: ;) :D

No holes around me Bubba.:D :D

I stand firmly on my ground.

duncan
2nd September 2007, 03:54 PM
No holes around me Bubba.:D :D

I stand firmly on my ground.

Is it wet or dry ground? ;)

I wish I never mentioned it now.:rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
2nd September 2007, 04:17 PM
Is it wet or dry ground? ;)

I wish I never mentioned it now.:rolleyes:

LOL.:D :D :D

Moist.:D

The Dogfather
2nd September 2007, 09:15 PM
Shovel?

He's using bloody JCB. Couldn't care less about the motorway speed limit as A1M shows most of the time you'll be doing 30mph if your lucky....

That's why I use back roads far more fun..

monkimagic
3rd September 2007, 12:56 AM
Why only 80mph?

Gordons_cooper_wrks
3rd September 2007, 10:06 PM
put it up to 80. then be more strict on people that go over it. :D

N12 JLK
13th September 2007, 02:39 PM
I think they should raise the limit because I just do so there na na na na na:p