PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Independance - what do you think?

The Dogfather
23rd August 2007, 06:32 AM
I've been meaning to post this for a while.

Is this something that people living in Scotland want? There's summat like 10% English/Welsh in Scotland BTW.

Personally as I'm all for it, England would be financially better off (even without the oil) and would benefit from having its own identity. I also think Scotland would thrive and it might encourage more young Scots to stay in Scotland.

Would Scotland stay in one piece though? Would Shetland and Orkney go with the rest of Scotland or would the oil wealth be a temptation for them to break away?

Reasoned debate please, this isn't just about England bashing, ta.

FergusM
23rd August 2007, 08:36 AM
I would be against it, I see little benefit and in particular don't trust the numpties that we have as MSP's to run things.. look at the mess they made on controlling a budget for building their new parliment, imagine how bad they would be if they ran the country !

AeroJonny
23rd August 2007, 10:26 AM
I definitely don't support this idea and it's not because I'd classify myself as english. Fergus' argument about MSP's is very true, and furthermore I just can't see the country being able to support itself. I wasn't a massive fan of devolution and I've still yet to be totally convinced about it too.

euan
23rd August 2007, 02:43 PM
Scotland gets a lot of cash from the English Parliament. Where would that money come from if it was separate? Also, really, does anyone care? Is it going to make any difference? Don't think so. Scotland already has a pretty good self image, it knows what it is and what it stands for. Is independence going to change that? Don't think so.

I also just don't see how the figures add up. For that reason, (puts on Duncan Bannatyne voice) "I'm out".

korky
23rd August 2007, 02:48 PM
Not sure what the Scottish economy would rely on once the oil ran out. Not that much more left, surely? And I'd be worried I'd get repatriated: only been here 16 years!

The Dogfather
23rd August 2007, 03:52 PM
Oil money wouldn't support the country now, never mind in the future when production tails off