PDA

View Full Version : Glad I didn't buy my PS3 for Blu-Ray. :(

AndyP & Lenore
22nd August 2007, 11:13 PM
Paramount and Dreamworks drop Blu-Ray in favour of HD-DVD.

The Blu-Ray/HD-DVD situation has been compared to the old VHS/Betamax issue in the early 80's, but I never thought the industry would - yet again - pick the inferior product to support.

I'm just glad I bought my PS3 for the games, not as a home entertainment higher definition format DVD player.

BBC News article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6958439.stm)

A.:(

euan
23rd August 2007, 02:34 PM
It's daft, and I'll bet that had Sony had a huge sales success with the PS3 they would be backing Blu-ray. But as Sony have priced it out of reach of a lot of people, take up is much slower, so the studios won't spend the money to develop a blu-ray product when the market reach isn't great.

I've not seen either to comment on which looks better, but from what I've read blu-ray does seem the better solution in terms of quality.

Gismo
25th August 2007, 06:09 AM
Looks like the punters are gonna lose out again, i'm certainly not gonna buy either one until it's all sorted out to see which format offers the best package

AndyP & Lenore
25th August 2007, 10:12 AM
I've not seen either to comment on which looks better, but from what I've read blu-ray does seem the better solution in terms of quality.

I haven't seen a HD DVD running anywhere. I can say the Blu-Ray is incredible.:D

Looks like the punters are gonna lose out again, i'm certainly not gonna buy either one until it's all sorted out to see which format offers the best package

Me too Alan, like I said in the main thread, I didn't buy the PS3 to be our new main DVD player - although we have replaced our DVD player and I am now using the PS3 as our player - that wasn't our intention in the long term.

One problem with the PS3 is it is incredibly noisy. The cooling fan in it is louder than the cooling fan in our MINI.:eek:

A.

Gismo
25th August 2007, 10:16 AM
Me too Alan, like I said in the main thread, I didn't buy the PS3 to be our new main DVD player - although we have replaced our DVD player and I am now using the PS3 as our player - that wasn't our intention in the long term.
Hmm, interesting, so, does the PS3 play "normal" DVD's and if so, will it play DVD-r's with MP3's on them ??

AndyP & Lenore
25th August 2007, 10:23 AM
Hmm, interesting, so, does the PS3 play "normal" DVD's and if so, will it play DVD-r's with MP3's on them ??

Not sure about the DVD-r's or MP3's, but I would imagine it will. It certainly does play normal DVD's. I don't have any DVD-r's to try, sorry.

A.:D