PDA

View Full Version : What's BMW up to

Scottie
22nd August 2007, 09:56 PM
I was just reading tonight.

The new E70 X5 that is now out well their 4.8 petrol engine they have done away with the engine oil dipstick:confused: :confused: not sure about the other engines over the range.

Not sure I'd be happy not having a dipstick to check engine oil level.

sh@z
22nd August 2007, 09:59 PM
We'll see more and more cars having this. Where the onboard computer will give you a reading of how much oil is left in the car.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd August 2007, 10:08 PM
I was just reading tonight.

The new E70 X5 that is now out well their 4.8 petrol engine they have done away with the engine oil dipstick:confused: :confused: not sure about the other engines over the range.

Not sure I'd be happy not having a dipstick to check engine oil level.

I seem to remember our X5 used to go through a bucket of oil a week. it was an oil burner mind you.

We'll see more and more cars having this. Where the onboard computer will give you a reading of how much oil is left in the car.

But Sh@z, would you trust it to give you a correct reading?:eek:

A.:D

Scottie
22nd August 2007, 10:11 PM
I agree with Andy would you trust a BMW computer.:eek:

Craig
22nd August 2007, 11:02 PM
I agree with Andy would you trust a BMW computer.:eek:

eh NO..

mind you there isn't a lot that is BMW that I trust..:eek: ;) :D

sh@z
23rd August 2007, 12:39 AM
But Sh@z, would you trust it to give you a correct reading?:eek:

Nope I wouldn't, I like being able to check the oil myself (practise from having the RX8 haha) and stuff like that shouldn't be left to some electronic dial on the dash :p

FergusM
23rd August 2007, 08:45 AM
Latest BMW335i has no oil dip stick... and to be honest I'm sure that the electronic means would be reliable otherwise they would not have done away with it. I had one of those way back in a Peugeot 406 Mi16..1990 plate...and it was 100% accurate.

AeroJonny
23rd August 2007, 10:28 AM
why can't we have both? I mean, the electronic indicator would be good for those who never check their oil, but some people just won't trust them.

euan
23rd August 2007, 02:39 PM
My 3 series has a dipstick but warns you on the dash when you get to the minimum level.

It's never been wrong yet.

AndyP & Lenore
23rd August 2007, 11:41 PM
My 3 series has a dipstick but warns you on the dash when you get to the minimum level.

It's never been wrong yet.

On the other hand, our X5 often came up with a warning: "CHECK ENGINE OIL LEVEL!!!!":eek:

So I did, and each time it was fine.:D

Go figure.:rolleyes:

euan
24th August 2007, 08:31 AM
On the other hand, our X5 often came up with a warning: "CHECK ENGINE OIL LEVEL!!!!":eek:

So I did, and each time it was fine.:D

Go figure.:rolleyes:

Maybe the X5 was just testing you, see if you cared :D

markyc
24th August 2007, 08:49 PM
My 1999 E36 Touring had an electronic oil warning light on the dash and BMW said not to bother checking the oil just leave it to the computer !! Never did check it and never had any trouble ;)

Gismo
25th August 2007, 06:02 AM
It wouldn't bother me either way, but, it would be interesting in the event of a claim, especially if the onboard computer did not warn of low oil