PDA

View Full Version : Old Owner - New Ideas

jamiec
22nd August 2007, 12:51 AM
Hi guys, used to be on here with my 52 plate cooper s which I sold at the start of the year. Well I purchased a mk4 golf R32 but I'm humming and hawing about whether or not to return to the mini scene!

Fuel bills are getting big with the car averaging 22mpg on my combined cycle. Wouldn't be so bad if I did motorway driving but I don't! I'm also a mini man at heart having owned classics in the past.

So I'm just looking for some options and opinions just now.

My initial thoughts have been to look at a mini cooper s checkmate. Thoughts? Anyone on here got one? They seem to be nice limited edition cars. Limited slip diff is nice too! They are all reasonably new and I like the look of them. There's one for sale in mini Kircaldy just now so if anyone works there feel free to get in touch or pass me onto them :rolleyes:

If I got one I'd probably put a works kit on it. Whats the going rate for one fitted from a dealer?

My other option would be to buy a late supercharged works but finding a good one seems hard to come by, i.e. right spec, price etc.

The new mini with works kit sounds good but £21k+ is more than I want to spend on a mini just now.

Anyway thoughts, opinions, suggestions more than welcome.

The Dogfather
22nd August 2007, 06:12 AM
I doubt you'd get much better economy with a supercharged S.

illegalhunter
22nd August 2007, 06:37 AM
Get a new dooper , they are very good on fuel

AndyP & Lenore
22nd August 2007, 07:38 AM
I doubt a Supercharged S would improve much on the 22mpg. Fitting a works probably wouldn't improve that, but then again, I don't think it makes it worse. We were getting about 24mpg from our "modded" S.

Like Deerslayer says.... A new Cooper D would give you similar "fun" to a new S and a huge amount of economy - something like 50MPG!!! In the manual only though - the economy figs for an auto D are awful. Almost the same as a new S.

A.:D

stoney
22nd August 2007, 07:47 AM
i love my s works and get about 30mpg about town with the gtt mainfold and de cat pipe supper charged all the way

jamiec
22nd August 2007, 11:31 AM
Economy was better in my old S trust me.

There's other factors too, newer car with warrenty etc.

Anyway checkmate? works kit? :confused:

Oh 22mpg is a combined cycle for me.

S7JGW
22nd August 2007, 12:19 PM
My average for last 3 months is 31.3mpg and mostly do town and country driving, hardly ever on morotways.
Jim