PDA

View Full Version : Noisey S Query

s15gma
17th August 2007, 09:16 PM
Alritee all,

stupid question - anyone else have a really whiney supercharger and crackling back box??

Reason I ask is this - had tyres fitted in Grangemouth and man who fitted them said his mrs's s doesn't whine at all (even when booted!) and his back box doesn't backfire or crackle at all!!! Mine crackles and pops nearly every gear change, and whines loudly from supercharger when giving it wee rev to bout 3000rpm stationary. Dont get me wrong - sounds amazing!!! Love it....

Just had to ask - not driven another one the way I drive mine. Only had one in at work and thought it was rubbish - dont remeber pops or whining on that one!! Hmmmmmmm.

Craig
17th August 2007, 09:38 PM
Gemma, don't know if yours is a facelift model or not (54 plate onwards) however if it is, they do seem to pop and crackle more from the exhaust. :D :D :D

can't really comment on how large the noise from the supercharger is as I've not had one, but they do make a bit of noise... :) Hopefully an "old" S driver will be along soon to clarify. :D

Burple
I don't have one, but there has been plenty said about the post-facelift ones popping and burbling a fair bit more than the older ones, and that can only be a good thing! :cool::D

If the supercharger is overly whiney it might be a problem, but any that I've had a shot of, it's been just about loud enough :D:D:D:D:D

Burple
<drum rollll>

Ta Da! Simul-post! :D:p

Craig
17th August 2007, 09:41 PM
<drum rollll>

Ta Da! Simul-post! :D:p

GREAT minds think alike young man. :D :D :D :D

s15gma
17th August 2007, 09:46 PM
My baby's an 05 plate so guess that makes it cool then. Need to check it aint got a wee pulley on it then!! Now how the fook do i do that!!!

Gismo
17th August 2007, 10:26 PM
My baby's an 05 plate so guess that makes it cool then. Need to check it aint got a wee pulley on it then!! Now how the fook do i do that!!!
Why do you need to check if it's got a smaller pulley :rolleyes: all the better if it does :)
I can confirm that the pops and crackles are part of the face lift so that's good, plus, the whine from the super charger should be very noticeable, if not, then you aint driving it hard enough :eek: :)

AndyP & Lenore
18th August 2007, 12:13 AM
Why do you need to check if it's got a smaller pulley :rolleyes: all the better if it does :)
I can confirm that the pops and crackles are part of the face lift so that's good, plus, the whine from the super charger should be very noticeable, if not, then you aint driving it hard enough :eek: :)

Totally agree with BS on this one. We loved our Supercharger whine. One of the most-missed things from the R56. But we love our R56 too - before anyone starts another R56 bashing.

A.;)

Scottie
18th August 2007, 12:23 AM
before anyone starts another R56 bashing.

A.;)

:confused: have I missed something.

Craig
18th August 2007, 08:49 AM
:confused: have I missed something.

aye, yer missing a MINI...... time to get that sorted.! ;) :D

tonyjac
18th August 2007, 09:26 AM
cant say i've noticed any crackles and pops coming from my car:eek: :cool: :D

Scottie
18th August 2007, 02:56 PM
aye, yer missing a MINI...... time to get that sorted.! ;) :D

well I would have but not a R56 that's for sure and the rest well just to dam expensive for a 4 year or older one.:D

s15gma
18th August 2007, 06:25 PM
cant say i've noticed any crackles and pops coming from my car:eek: :cool: :D

Rev it with the door open - see if you hear anything!! Cant miss it!! Esp if in a driveway inbetween two houses!! Hmmmmmm!!!!

Craig
18th August 2007, 06:37 PM
Rev it with the door open - see if you hear anything!! Cant miss it!! Esp if in a driveway inbetween two houses!! Hmmmmmm!!!!

Tony is having you on Gemma..... his motor sounds like the Rice Crispie machine on LSD...;) ;) it snaps crackles and pops all day long.. He has the JCW Racing manifold on it. :cool: :cool: :cool: