PDA

View Full Version : Steering column?

BetaRyder
17th August 2007, 06:26 PM
Anyone else had a steering column replaced? Our car is getting a new one under warranty when it goes in for its service, only done 8000 miles :eek:

AndyP & Lenore
17th August 2007, 07:51 PM
This was a fairly common fault with R50/R53's. Quite a few folk have had theirs replaced, most recently I think Crombers had his done.

A.:D

Craig
17th August 2007, 07:57 PM
I had two previous models and never suffered this problem, but yeah, crombers had his changed recently.. :D

ianking
17th August 2007, 09:48 PM
We had a new steering column fitted to Sarahs 54 plate convertible. It was done under warranty though.

AeroJonny
17th August 2007, 09:49 PM
mine's on its 3rd steering column...my mum's is on its 2nd :(

s15gma
17th August 2007, 09:56 PM
mine's on its 3rd steering column...my mum's is on its 2nd :(

Were they noisy when pulling away from junctions, turning corners etc in first gear - or was it knocking? Had some in at work that all needed them redone - but bmw said mine was fine - only cos she behaved herself and was silent when the tech drove her!!

ianking
17th August 2007, 10:05 PM
Ours knocked when on lock.

Gorbash12346
18th August 2007, 08:02 AM
it doesn't knock when the column is faulty, it's like a clicking/grating noise as the bearings have worn out prematurely, and yes that and pas pumps are probably the most common faults on the R50/52/53

BetaRyder
18th August 2007, 10:37 AM
Ours is making a clunk that can be felt through the steering wheel only when parking sometimes. As usual when I took it to the dealers it stopped doing it when the tech was checking it but just when I was parking to drop him off it started doing it again so at least it wasn't a wasted journey.

Ivano
18th August 2007, 12:48 PM
Yes i had it replaced on my last two MINIs and i am sure that it is started to do this on my current model as it is clicking/knocking on take off from junctions AGAIN etc...... Going to try and get it looked at next week.

Ivano

Crombers
18th August 2007, 03:37 PM
Yup new steering rack then a new steering column, both fitted under warranty. Recently passed 1st MOT so all is currrenty OK. Steering became extremely heavy so a new rack was fitted, then a new column was fitted after slight notchiness felt through the steering wheel. This 'slight notchiness' has since returned and as I have now run out of waranty I have now assmed that this is (as MINI love to say) a 'design feature'

:confused:

BetaRyder
19th August 2007, 10:54 AM
Hmmm, I guess once the warranty is out the steering column will need to be treated as a consumable to be changed every service :(
Anyone know if the warranty can be extended?

Gorbash12346
19th August 2007, 10:49 PM
Yup new steering rack then a new steering column, both fitted under warranty. Recently passed 1st MOT so all is currrenty OK. Steering became extremely heavy so a new rack was fitted, then a new column was fitted after slight notchiness felt through the steering wheel. This 'slight notchiness' has since returned and as I have now run out of waranty I have now assmed that this is (as MINI love to say) a 'design feature'

:confused:

how long ago was it fitted??? under a year you could probably claim parts warranty.. best having a go anyway

ELFMAN
20th August 2007, 10:15 PM
I had a new steering column in December - got everything looked at before my warranty ran out. Had a very slight 'notch' felt when parking. They also did a Track Rod End while they were in there. BMW obviously got the steering columns as a job lot with their dodgy spotlights and fragile Convertible Roofs... I looked at the 'Extended Warranty', but it cost a bomb per annum and didn't cover a whole lot of gear which it should've at the price, so I decided against it.

Big Gordy
20th August 2007, 10:34 PM
Surely your replacement steering column came with a years warranty:eek: If its still under a year since it was fitted they should replace it:mad: