PDA

View Full Version : It's a door, Jim, but not as we know it!

Scottie
5th August 2007, 03:23 PM
Anyone read the Sunday Post today.

Why Mini didn't put the door on the correct side.:(

MINI say the cost is to great and they expect most Clubmans to be sold in Europe and America.

john
5th August 2007, 04:01 PM
I'm still buying one though;)

Scottie
5th August 2007, 05:24 PM
I'm still buying one though;)

yeh and sell it two weeks later.:eek: :p :D

KenL
5th August 2007, 07:37 PM
yeh and sell it two weeks later.:eek: :p :D

Eh, no - that's you remember :p :D ;)

Scottie
5th August 2007, 08:51 PM
Eh, no - that's you remember :p :D ;)

Eh no ;) Obviously you were not about when the GP's came out then KenL

markyc
5th August 2007, 09:00 PM
Saw some decent pics of it at Menzies the other day, the 3rd door doesn't look full size?? Is it like the RX-7 and just a wee half one??

Like the pics though especially the chocolate brown with silver roof and brown interior.................. :confused: :rolleyes: ;)

john
5th August 2007, 09:15 PM
Eh no ;) Obviously you were not about when the GP's came out then KenL

I did 7500 miles in the GP which is more than you do in most of your cars.:D

markyc
5th August 2007, 09:18 PM

And all without a front number plate :eek: :D ;)

Scottie
5th August 2007, 09:22 PM

true but still you managed to beat my record.;) :p :D

illegalhunter
5th August 2007, 10:58 PM
yeh and sell it two weeks later.:eek: :p :D A kettle & pot thing going on there:D

Clare1
14th August 2007, 09:38 AM

MINI say the cost is to great and they expect most Clubmans to be sold in Europe and America.

The Fuel Tank is on the other side Fiona, theres no room for the door on the other side.

Scottie
14th August 2007, 09:58 AM
crap excuse. sorry it's all down to desgin.:D

AeroJonny
14th August 2007, 10:23 AM
i agree! sounds like they were being a bit lazy.

Gismo
14th August 2007, 10:27 AM
For what it's worth, i certainly wouldn't buy one for this reason, it's a flawed design in my opinion

euan
14th August 2007, 10:35 AM
The Fuel Tank is on the other side Fiona, theres no room for the door on the other side.

So move the fuel tank...

Designers day off? Bank holiday? Hungover?

I think they'll lose out on selling a load of these as a result of this. The space is there to move it, but yet they didn't.

Craig
14th August 2007, 11:11 AM
yep, bad design, but there are already a few bad designs with the R56(blinds, compartment pack, leather interior, sound of rushing water, diesel noise....):( :( :(

I think this will put off a lot of UK families from buying one, which is a shame as the MINI all started in the UK.. :(

john
14th August 2007, 11:22 AM
crap excuse. sorry it's all down to desgin.:D

I agee it is a crap excuse, even the name Clubman is stupid.

ianking
14th August 2007, 11:38 AM
The fuel tank is right underneath the car is it not. All they would need to do is move the filler neck in order to get the door in.

john
14th August 2007, 11:40 AM
The fuel tank is right underneath the car is it not. All they would need to do is move the filler neck in order to get the door in.

The door is a bit bigger than that! I,m sure they would need a much bigger hole and some better hinges too!!:D

AeroJonny
18th August 2007, 01:31 PM
For what it's worth, i certainly wouldn't buy one for this reason, it's a flawed design in my opinion

I wouldn't buy one because I just don't like them ;)

Duncan Stewart
20th August 2007, 10:05 AM
I think it would look better with no extra door - just clean sides (might be cheaper then too ;) )

monkimagic
5th September 2007, 01:46 PM
A kettle & pot thing going on there:D

John and Fiona are keeping the used car market alive and kicking,:p cheap cars for others;)

harryboy22002
15th December 2007, 06:35 PM

mini was going to put door on [WRONG]side but uk wouldnt let them ??figure that one out? to do with petrol tank .

Craig
16th December 2007, 12:31 AM
mini was going to put door on [WRONG]side but uk wouldnt let them ??figure that one out? to do with petrol tank .

all to do with penny pincing at bit like most of the parts on the R56.... MINI loosing the plot with what is important. :mad: :mad:

Big Gordy
16th December 2007, 10:36 AM
all to do with penny pincing at bit like most of the parts on the R56.... MINI loosing the plot with what is important. :mad: :mad:
Aaaah but making more money is important to BMW in the end I'm affraid:(

KenL
16th December 2007, 09:22 PM

I know you had a bad experience, but your statement is not true ;)

I think the quality of the R56 is way better than the R50 in a lot of areas.
The interior is better, the seats are better, the ride quality is better, the engine is better (performance, economy, emissions). :)

duncan
16th December 2007, 09:41 PM
I know you had a bad experience, but your statement is not true ;)

I think the quality of the R56 is way better than the R50 in a lot of areas.
The interior is better, the seats are better, the ride quality is better, the engine is better (performance, economy, emissions). :)

Come on now Ken, we know you're the spokesman for the R56 fan club, but to say that something is not true, when its an opinion is a wee bit unfair, winky eye or not.

The prime example of the R56 being built down to a price is the Aero filler cap. And thats only in my humble opinion! ;)

Craig
16th December 2007, 09:48 PM
agree with Duncan on this one (yes we sometimes do agree. ;) )

If one car had had a few wee faults, then yes I could have accepted that, but 2 cars with 13 faults and 9 faults respectively (and we are not talking about the dodgy rear wiper), then it is fair to say from my experience that the quality is NOT there.. :(

also some of the changes in design, were done to cut costs... ie

the filler cap in plastic, rather than metal
the sun blinds which are just cr%p when there was nothing wrong with the originals
the changing of the fuel pumps to save money, only for them to have to replace thousands under warranty
the rear door on the wrong side of the clubman.

as for being wrong, I'm married, so that is a given, I am nearly always wrong in my house, but you do need to be less judgemental, or people will just think your arrogant. :)

KenL
16th December 2007, 10:48 PM
but you do need to be less judgemental, or people will just think your arrogant. :)

Eh, you are the one who made the sweeping statement in the first place ;)

KenL
16th December 2007, 10:55 PM
Come on now Ken, we know you're the spokesman for the R56 fan club, but to say that something is not true, when its an opinion is a wee bit unfair, winky eye or not.

The prime example of the R56 being built down to a price is the Aero filler cap. And thats only in my humble opinion! ;)

Sorry, I should have said "in my opinion" it is not true :)

I still think the examples I gave show that the R56 is improved :D

What is an "Aero filler" please?

duncan
16th December 2007, 11:24 PM
The Aero filler cap - the fuel tank cap on the S.

R53
http://www.mini2.com/galleries/data/1909/medium/Side_View_Car.jpg

R56
http://www.mini2.com/images/predrive_all/watermark.php?src=laser_blue/PICT0050_t.jpg

I much prefer the original one, and was one of the first things I noticed on Launch day at Menzies that it apeared to be price driven.

BMW themselves said they weren't making enough money on the MINI per car, and it had to be cheaper.

duncan
16th December 2007, 11:28 PM
agree with Duncan on this one (yes we sometimes do agree. ;) )

Well, it is nearly a leap year :eek: ;)

KenL
16th December 2007, 11:35 PM
The Aero filler cap - the fuel tank cap on the S.

R53
http://www.mini2.com/galleries/data/1909/medium/Side_View_Car.jpg

R56
http://www.mini2.com/images/predrive_all/watermark.php?src=laser_blue/PICT0050_t.jpg

I much prefer the original one, and was one of the first things I noticed on Launch day at Menzies that it apeared to be price driven.

BMW themselves said they weren't making enough money on the MINI per car, and it had to be cheaper.

Gotcha.

...but swapping one ancillary component for a cheaper one does not make it a cheaper or lesser car overall, does it :confused:

duncan
16th December 2007, 11:54 PM
Ah, that was just the first that caught my eye on launch night.
After that, I could spot a few others that looked cheap - the boot carpet, and the interior heater controls to name 2 (It is a while ago now since I looked at one).

Its all about perception, and thats when I saw, (again, in my opinion only), the car had been built to a price. And thats not what a car in the Premium Small Car segment should be doing.

Maybe they'll get it right (IMHO) with the facelift, as what happened with the R50.

AndyP & Lenore
17th December 2007, 12:19 AM
Guys, careful we don't drift into [yet] another R56 bashing thread. The main topic was the subject of the 3rd door on the new clubman. Bash the R56 all you like, but in it's own thread.;)

Ta.;)

A.:D

The Dogfather
17th December 2007, 07:21 AM
When I sat in the R56 it felt better built and it certainly rode better than the R50, the perceived quality was higher. The doors seemed heavier and the leather seats [lounge] were really nice. However, there are a few details which let the car down but compared with a A Class we had as a loan car the MINI is still a class act.