PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Got An Archos....

Gismo
2nd August 2007, 10:48 AM
.....entertainment console thingy.

I'm wanting one for my long haul commutes to Baku, the onflight screens are crap and i end up just listening to music.

Just wanna know what you think of them, any good, ease of use, TV connectivity etc etc

Wul
2nd August 2007, 01:02 PM
How about the latest in Technology...............a book! :p

rpn
2nd August 2007, 01:13 PM
I convert DVD movies into mp4 format and watch them on my iPod! :)

sh@z
2nd August 2007, 03:16 PM
Yeah I was about to say, why not use iPod video, though the screen is a bit small, afaik the Archos has a bigger screen, looks like a decent bit of kit.

Why not just take a laptop!

Gismo
2nd August 2007, 03:34 PM
Archos screen is 7", iPod screen size is crap, i have a PSP i could use, but, i want a bigger screen, hence the Archos :rolleyes:
A laptop battery will last about 2hrs brand new, hardly enough to watch a decent length movie, plus, i only want to be able to watch movies anyway, besides, i've got 2 laptops.

zimbo
2nd August 2007, 06:03 PM
.... i've got 2 laptops.

Whys that? Is that one for each hand? lol :D

euan
2nd August 2007, 06:08 PM
Why not buy a long life battery for the laptop? I've got one in my Thinkpad and it lasts over 5 hours.

AeroJonny
2nd August 2007, 06:09 PM
watch half a movie on one laptop...the rest on the other. Problem solved!:p

Gismo
2nd August 2007, 06:16 PM
So, does anyone have an Archos then :rolleyes:

Maxxed Ross
2nd August 2007, 07:01 PM
A guy I used to work with had one, he used to leave it sitting recording off the TV and then watch it later on.

I'm sure he said you can get 7 hours on TV onto it

It was a really cool bit of kit, nice big screen and it was really clear. It's not actually that chunky either considering the size of the screen and memory

Bumble
2nd August 2007, 07:42 PM
My other half has one ... stores movies on it for flights exactly the same use as you are looking for (and audio books) - keeps him quiet all the time! He loves his, doesn't fly without it!

Lynn

Gismo
2nd August 2007, 09:18 PM
My other half has one ... stores movies on it for flights exactly the same use as you are looking for (and audio books) - keeps him quiet all the time! He loves his, doesn't fly without it!

Lynn
Yay, a sensible reply :D

Bumble
2nd August 2007, 09:56 PM
Well I do try and be sensible ... from time to time anyway!

Gismo
15th August 2007, 03:44 PM
Well, to answer my own post, for anyone wanting a portable solution to carrying any other kind of portable video device, get yourself one of the Archos gismo's.
Coupled with the TV adaptor, the Archos 704 is capable of recording form any output device.
I'm currently finishing up recording the second series of Rome stored on my Sky Plus decoder onto the Archos for when i'm away.
I'm also ripping DVD's on my PC and transferring them onto the Archos (hence my request for a DVD Ripper).

More than just a video output, it can store data, play MP3's surf the web wirelessly etc etc.

An excellent toy :) and perfect for watching films on my long haul flights, well, assuming the battery lasts the 5-1/2 hours it says it can

AndyP & Lenore
15th August 2007, 08:13 PM
Sounds like a nifty piece of kit Alan. The battery may need a bit of "training" to get the full 5 1/2 hours out of it though.

What model did you buy? I take it, it doesn't come with a DVD player built in?

A.:D

Gismo
15th August 2007, 10:01 PM
What model did you buy? I take it, it doesn't come with a DVD player built in?

A.:D
I got the 80GB 704 wifi (http://www.archos.com/products/video/archos_704wifi/tech_specs.html?country=global&lang=en) it's hard drive based, no DVD player, everything is downloaded onto it from any video output device and also ripped DVD's from my computer.
Am now away to download the Dr Who series from my sky plus box and some movies recorded on sky :)

AndyP & Lenore
16th August 2007, 09:27 AM
Cheers Alan.

I was thinking of it for our caravan. At the moment we have a 14" TV VCR combi - cutting edge 10 years ago - and a portable DVD player we need to get out to watch DVD's and the cables just get everywhere and it pi$$es off Mrs P. Been trying to find a decent sized LCD portable with built in DVD recorder. Doesn't exist.:(

A.:confused:

Gismo
16th August 2007, 10:52 AM
You can connect the Archos to a decent sized TV or screen and watch stuff on the screen from the Archos, you do need the DVR Adaptor though.
Remember, this thing is portable and you need to take the time to record stuff to it etc, but, it certainly eliminates the need to carry loads of DVD's :)

AndyP & Lenore
16th August 2007, 05:28 PM
And did u say it had a tv tuner? if so is it digital or analogue?

Gismo
16th August 2007, 05:42 PM
And did u say it had a tv tuner? if so is it digital or analogue?
Nope, it don't have a tuner, i bought the DVR Station which provides the ability to connect to any video output device that then allows you to record.
It's like a docking station, on the back of it there are s-video, RCA connectors and component connectors too, which allow you to connect to say a video recorder, dvd player, satellite, tv etc etc, from there you record anything