PDA

View Full Version : Freeview PVR

euan
1st August 2007, 04:24 PM
You are always a source of good info, so thought I'd try this.

I, like a lot of others I suspect, are upgrading the Freeview box to one that includes the ability to accept a card so I can get Setanta on Freeview.

I don't want Telewest etc nor do I want SKY, as work pays my broadband and SKY costs a bomb which, with a wedding to pay for I can't afford.

So - does anyone have any experience of the Freeview PVRs that are out there? Looking at Humax, Topfield and various others. I want it to have twin tuners but apart from that not too bothered.

Any ideas?

GAJ
1st August 2007, 04:47 PM
Funnily enough - I bought a 250gb Topfield on Monday. Very impressed with it so far, as you probably know it is easily moddable with TAPS freely available on the internet. Mine is still standard at the moment but probably won't be for long.

The user interface is pretty straightforward and the user manual is the best written document I think I have ever read.

AndyP & Lenore
1st August 2007, 05:01 PM
The user interface is pretty straightforward and the user manual is the best written document I think I have ever read.

Now hold on a minute!:eek: Have you not read my Posting Pics tutorial?:D :D

A.:D

macblob
1st August 2007, 05:28 PM
Thought you were meant to be curbing the money spending Gaj :D

GAJ
1st August 2007, 05:38 PM
Oh yes! Forgot!! I have now promise, after I go and pick up my Epiphone amp this evening! :o

euan
2nd August 2007, 09:26 AM
Ah, I was looking at these. I've heard a lot of good things and some bad (the price being one of them!)

Do you plan on burning stuff to DVD at any point?

GAJ
2nd August 2007, 10:11 AM
I didn't think the price was too bad - I bought mine in John Lewis in Edinburgh for £250; £1 per gig doesn't seem too bad. I'm not sure if you can get them a wee bit cheaper online but suspect that you probably can. I'm still remarkably impressed with it although I plan to 'enhance' it soon with some add on software. The ability to do this is probably it's strongest point.

I will be burning stuff to DVD at some point, first thing will probably be the Bob Dylan - Don't Look Back thing which was on the other night. The ability to burn to DVD was one reason I chose the Topfield over the Humax. My plan is to copy the .rec file that the Topfield creates to my Vista laptop and transfer it from there to my Mac to burn as a DVD. It seems to be much more complicated to convert and burn on the PC so I'll just be using that as a conduit. It's easier on a Mac!;) Sadly I don't have a portable Mac and I can't be ersed moving the pvr!

vintageb3
2nd August 2007, 08:57 PM
Ah, I was looking at these. I've heard a lot of good things and some bad (the price being one of them!)

Do you plan on burning stuff to DVD at any point?

Listen Euan:p ...I don't think he has a record contract yet...he is just going to buy the amp!!!!...he might do a couple of demo's...but a DVD?????:eek:

Oh!...the set top box...not the amp...right...Oh!...there's ma coat...fell off the hook on the wall:rolleyes: :eek: :D

mark