PDA

View Full Version : Speakers

euan
12th February 2004, 07:27 PM
Sorry for my ignorance....

If I upgrade the speakers, will I get a big increase in sound quality? Or would I need to do the stereo as well? I dont really want to change the stereo as I plan on doing the ipod thing soon, but a bit more punch from the speakers would be good. I had the thing up at the weekend and there was just not enough bass, and when I got the bass up, it sounded bad.

Burple
12th February 2004, 08:12 PM
The best thing to do first is the stereo... (but that's only my opinion)
The current speakers are only a piddly wee 15 Watts, but put a decent stereo on the end of them and you will be VERY pleasantly surprised!

I've not changed the speakers yet (but got a dirty big bandpass sub box in the boot ;)) so I can't comment on the a speaker upgrade...
My stereo is an MP3 player too tho...

There's aquite a few folk around who have upgraded their speakers... they'll be better placed to tell you tho :D

mgemie
12th February 2004, 08:40 PM
i've also been thinking of upgrading the speakers while still keeping the standard, factoy-fitted headunit. So Euan, you're not the only one who's been thinking about this. However, it would be best if some of the dudes who have already done this 'speaker-only' upgrade could comment first. Any of you guys out there?

sh@z
12th February 2004, 11:26 PM
when i went to see a guy about my system, he told me the 1st thing to do would be upgrade the head unit as that will make a huge improvement, then go for the speakers etc, as the current unit wont take advantage of the new speakers as such.

euan
12th February 2004, 11:34 PM
I have has that said to me before, but I can't make up my mind if it's actually true or just a way to sell me more kit?

mr.b
12th February 2004, 11:47 PM
Chaps.

Just replaced my head unit and the speakers at the same time. I recommend that if you can afford them, shell out some HEC for Focal speakers. Even at entry level (access range) they are better than the majority of top end speakers available on the market (alpine, infinity, sony, etc). i have uprated the front speakers to 16.5cm using upgrade pods to accomodate the increase in size (standards are 13cm). i used Focal 165A component speakers that have a seperate tweeter and crossover unit. In the back i used Focal 690CA speakers as a direct replacement. Trust me, there is no need for any subs when you have these units built in, maybe an amp to lift the sound from the fronts and cross-over more bass to the rears. I got a Sony CDX-MP80 MP3 player head unit and it barely gets above 1/4 of its power rating to run the speakers. The Focal speakers can take more than the head unit can put out. i don't think silly volume levels are need, i prefer clarity then, less volume negates the want for the speakers to blow. All these pointers are merely my opinion as someone who has a lot of experience with sound engineering and these are just basic first steps to be taken.

B.

Big Col
12th February 2004, 11:47 PM
Well I changed the head unit and kept the standard speakers before I got me motor as I took the head unit out my old car but I have had no complaints whatsoever about the speakers that are in! I've had people who's cars are seriously iced up comment on how good they are for standard sprakers.

mr.b
12th February 2004, 11:50 PM
I agree, the standard speakers were good in their own right but they lacked the tonal qualities that i was looking for. The standards are fine as a starting point but with only 15w rating, they are not to be expected to produce a great sound spread.

ICE is a very subjective subject when it comes to cars, its all about what you want from your system and how you plan to use it. As with everything, money plays a big part in it too.

B.

Starky
13th February 2004, 02:05 AM
Got to agree with mr.b & Big Col, i've just put a kenwood h/u in & left original spks., superb.

mgemie
13th February 2004, 02:26 AM
i suppose it makes sense to change the HU before speakers since the factory-fitted MINI HU is only 15w per channel...

ah well, i think i'll leave it the now..

Willie M
13th February 2004, 04:42 PM
I would defo tend to change the head first. I fitted a Sony unit in Stouffer and just left the original speakers, have to say I noticed a big difference from the standard head unit. I never got around to changing the speakers.

I've just fitted a Pioneer head to the new car, along with a 6 CD changer and Pioneer front & rear speakers. :approve:

Big Col
13th February 2004, 05:03 PM
oooh look! He calls Stouffer by name buy just calls Chunk 'the new car'. You still not over ol' Stouffer Willie?:clown::D:p

Wul
13th February 2004, 05:52 PM
Defo replace the head unit first! I've got a JVC head unit with MP3 Changer and standard speakers and it's enough to make the door pockets and mirrors vibrate with the bass! :D

Willie M
13th February 2004, 09:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

oooh look! He calls Stouffer by name buy just calls Chunk 'the new car'. You still not over ol' Stouffer Willie?:clown::D:p

<sniffle> :(

euan
16th February 2004, 07:37 PM
Are there any MP3 CD changers that will work with the standard head unit, or would I have to change the head unit too? I'm trying to find a way of leaving the standard head unit in as I dont want any more reasons for getting unwanted attention to my little S.

Wul
16th February 2004, 07:49 PM
Yes - the Sony CDXT70MX and a connects2 interface allow the standard H/U(Wave+Boost) to play MP3 CD's from the changer - so lond as you have the CD prep fitted - check out MINI2 Interior and ICE forum for more details - it's a pretty standard setup for a lot MINI's now - Mikeythemini might be able to sort you out for the adaptor and places like bassjunkies and car audio direct can supply changer at a good price.

Wul
16th February 2004, 07:55 PM
One thing Euan - you will still be stuck with the crappy power output from the Stock Head Unit though!

Here's a starter for 10 : http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47711&highlight=sony+mp3+changer

It's £175 on Bass junkies just now http://www.bassjunkies.com/index.php?cpage=product/browse_detail.php&area=shop&category_id=97&sub_category_id=29&manufacturer_id=498&product_id=23678&show_my_car=&return_link=%2Findex.php%3FPHPSESSID%3D4426a4acd2f 2d87db7f37f4c8852d189%26cpage%3Dproduct%252Fresult s.php%26area%3Dshop%26GO%3Dyes%26search_type%3Dqui ck%26search_word%3DSony%2BCDXT70MX

connects2 http://www.connects2.com/c2stockists.asp

euan
17th February 2004, 12:26 AM
Hmm, that does look like the kind of thing I'm after, and the install looks quite neat with the custom bracket.