PDA

View Full Version : Best Pulley

s12cot
24th July 2007, 04:29 PM
Just wondering what is the best pulley to get? what are the risk's of the engine etc getting damaged due to the change? and what are the costs??

bigcoyote
24th July 2007, 07:49 PM
It depends on how much boost you want??

a 15% pully is almost identical to the JCW 14.7% and has no issues with reliability

a 17% pully gives a little more power - but generates more heat

a 19% pully gives max power but generates alot of heat and reduces belt life ( always carry a spare )

All pully's will void your warranty on your supercharger and may void your engine and tranaxle warranty also ( depending on the dealer ).

As far as brands go..... Here in the USA the top brands are Webb, Alta, and Mini-Madness

I had a 15% Mini-Madness ( aluminum ) on my 04 S -- no problems at all.

Good luck - hope it helped:D

s12cot
26th July 2007, 09:18 AM
cheers mate

vintageb3
26th July 2007, 10:17 AM
There's a risk to the supercharger if the old pulley is removed badly or the new one is fitted badly.

I don't have one yet...but others could chime in with where to get one fitted.

The Alta is the one that draws me closer....but I'm not driving down south to get one fitted and wouldn't feel happy doing that job myself.

mark

s12cot
26th July 2007, 12:37 PM
i am seriously looking into it, it gives good gains for very little in cost.

MINI William
26th July 2007, 07:00 PM
there is a 15% pulley on ebay for £15 jst thought i would let you know :D

bigcoyote
27th July 2007, 03:46 AM
There's a risk to the supercharger if the old pulley is removed badly or the new one is fitted badly.

I don't have one yet...but others could chime in with where to get one fitted.

The Alta is the one that draws me closer....but I'm not driving down south to get one fitted and wouldn't feel happy doing that job myself.

mark

If you have never done one - or do not have the mechanical exp. then pay someone to do it for you - it does require the pully puller to do -- not a normal puller mind you - one made special for the MINI pully. Check out my photo page for pics of the puller.

DO NOT USE a hammer - even a dead blow hammer can cause damage to the supercharger.

Use the right puller - and take your time. It is slow but it works like a charm - total job should take less than 4 hours - and you might as well put a new belt on while you have it out. I went with the JCW belt ( 15% pully ) -- if you go with a higher % pully you will have to find out what belt to use.

Good luck