PDA

View Full Version : Drying

Andrew
20th July 2007, 12:51 PM
Can I ask the general opinion on what's best for drying, a chamois or microfibre towel?

thanks

Wul
20th July 2007, 01:27 PM
I prefer a waffle weave microfibre as used to find chamois leaves bits on the car and are harder to wring out.

euan
20th July 2007, 01:29 PM
I've used both to similar effect. Current routine is a chamois then a wipe down with a cloth to remove any residuals I may have missed. I'll sometimes use Quik Detailer with the cloth as well if I have the time.

AndyP & Lenore
20th July 2007, 03:43 PM
We use two micro fibre's. First I take the worst of the wet off and do lots of wringing out. Then Mrs P follows closely behind with another micro fibre, taking off what I can't 'cos my cloth is too wet.

Given up on chamois.

A.:D

vintageb3
20th July 2007, 11:11 PM
I prefer a waffle weave microfibre as used to find chamois leaves bits on the car and are harder to wring out.

I use the same...it takes longer than a chamois IMHO...but it leaves a better streak and waterspot free finish...and a chamois can scratch if they pick up grit, as the grit sits on the surface of the material. A MF or WW are less likely to scratch...cause the grit can move into the pile. I usually wring dry the WW and then open it up and violently shake (like snapping a wet towel at someone) the WW to help release any grit.

In fact...there should be no grit as you have just washed the car...but I do it anyway.

I've thought about using my Dad's leaf blower...I've heard that some guys use those. I must say that the Mini is bad for trapped water around the rear lights and around the front lower grilles.

mark

sedgie
20th July 2007, 11:23 PM
I use a chamois first then waffle thingy microfibre...it works fir me..btw thats when i clean it!...no that often!:o :D

AndyP & Lenore
21st July 2007, 12:26 AM
OK. At the risk of a public bashing by VintageB3 especially (taking into account my wind up on another thread just two mins ago), could someone tell me...

WTF is a waffle weave?

A.;)

Scottie
21st July 2007, 12:33 AM
Can I ask the general opinion on what's best for drying, a chamois or microfibre towel?

thanks

I've used Leather Chamois I used the micro fibre towel and waffle weaves from the pakshack the best you can buy and I tell you this the best out there for drying your car is often to most simple things you would tend to dismiss.

Auto Glym

http://www.autoglym.co.uk/enGB/product-proddetail.asp?v06VQ=I&Range=1

wouldn't go past them.

See the trouble with waffle weave and micro fibre use them on your windscreen leave it for a while then turn the car into the sun take a close look at the marks it leaves behind:eek: :eek: yes I am that much of a geek.

Gismo
21st July 2007, 06:38 AM
Drip dry and allow streaks to show through ;) perfect for that don't give a damn look :cool: works best immediately after a rain storm

Scottie
21st July 2007, 08:27 AM
OK. At the risk of a public bashing by VintageB3 especially (taking into account my wind up on another thread just two mins ago), could someone tell me...

WTF is a waffle weave?

A.;)

Andy it is a towel that has a waffle (you know a waffle that you would eat) well the weave has that look.

AndyP & Lenore
21st July 2007, 09:31 AM
Drip dry and allow streaks to show through ;) perfect for that don't give a damn look :cool: works best immediately after a rain storm

I love your completely uncaring consistency.:D :D :D I just can't bring myself to agree with you.;)

Andy it is a towel that has a waffle (you know a waffle that you would eat) well the weave has that look.

Cheers Fi. Will have a look for one. Sounds interesting.

BTW, tried your AutoGlym aqua dry thingy a year or so ago. Me no like at all. Too much like a chamois. I guess this just reinforces VintagB3's thread - everyone has their own opinion on what's best and what's not.

A.;)

Scottie
21st July 2007, 09:47 AM
I love your completely uncaring consistency.:D :D :D I just can't bring myself to agree with you.;)

Cheers Fi. Will have a look for one. Sounds interesting.

BTW, tried your AutoGlym aqua dry thingy a year or so ago. Me no like at all. Too much like a chamois. I guess this just reinforces VintagB3's thread - everyone has their own opinion on what's best and what's not.

A.;)

Andy I've got plenty waffle weaves lying around (new ones) I pass one onto next time I see you.:D

Andy I could go into

after using the waffle meave a few times you really need to wash the towel as it is pretty much now manky and leaves smears on the car depending on what washing liquid/powder etc etc you use and at what temp you wash it depends how clean and effective the towel then is but I fear I may bore you;) no doubt Mark will be along shortly with a answer.:p :p the uptodate Auto Glym thingy is good for me and I can wring it out which is always a plus.;)

AndyP & Lenore
21st July 2007, 09:57 AM
Andy I've got plenty waffle weaves lying around (new ones) I pass one onto next time I see you.:D

Andy I could go into

after using the waffle meave a few times you really need to wash the towel as it is pretty much now manky and leaves smears on the car depending on what washing liquid/powder etc etc you use and at what temp you wash it depends how clean and effective the towel then is but I fear I may bore you;) no doubt Mark will be along shortly with a answer.:p :p the uptodate Auto Glym thingy is good for me and I can wring it out which is always a plus.;)

Many thanks for the offer Fi. Would love one. Ta.

I know what you mean regarding the MF towels. We do wash them, but I'd need to speak to MrsP to see what temp and fluids she uses. Not a clue.:rolleyes: Although I have to admit, if one gets particularly dirty (I even use them to clean the wheels with sometimes) it just gets chucked. We use the yellow multi-pack from Costco. I think we get about 20 or 30 in a pack and they are only about £6 or £7. Bargain. And they do a fantastic job.:cool:

A.:D

Wul
21st July 2007, 10:13 AM
Waffle Weave MF (http://www.zainobros.com.au/prod31.htm)

AndyP & Lenore
21st July 2007, 10:25 AM
Waffle Weave MF (http://www.zainobros.com.au/prod31.htm)

Cheers WUL. But $38Aus!!!! Holy cow, that's dear.

A.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mini Ecosse
21st July 2007, 10:49 AM

thanks

You must be wishing you had'nt asked, it's becoming terribly confusing!:) :)

euan
21st July 2007, 12:00 PM
9 quid in UK money

http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/Products,71,toView_41.html

Andrew
21st July 2007, 01:27 PM
You must be wishing you had'nt asked, it's becoming terribly confusing!:) :)
Not so much confusing, just surprising that what I thought was a simple question could raise so many opinions.

Thanks everyone, I think I will test both the MF towel & the Autoglym synthetic leather and see what works best for me.

Andrew

vintageb3
21st July 2007, 11:18 PM
I've used Leather Chamois I used the micro fibre towel and waffle weaves from the pakshack the best you can buy and I tell you this the best out there for drying your car is often to most simple things you would tend to dismiss.

Auto Glym

http://www.autoglym.co.uk/enGB/product-proddetail.asp?v06VQ=I&Range=1

wouldn't go past them.

See the trouble with waffle weave and micro fibre use them on your windscreen leave it for a while then turn the car into the sun take a close look at the marks it leaves behind:eek: :eek: yes I am that much of a geek.

I used to use the Autoglym one...and swore by it...Have a new one in a box and still use an old one on my wheels :)

I still think the WW is better...but as I said...it does take longer to use to ensure that you don't get water marks. Just an extra walk round the whole car does it though.

Its OK Andy....I didn't know what WW was either :)

mark