PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars & Harry Potter - spot the difference.

AndyP & Lenore
19th July 2007, 08:35 PM
Seem to remember back in the late 70's (I was just a tiny wee lad, so forgive me if I'm wrong), lines of Star Wars fans queuing for tickets to Star Wars or Empire Strikes Back.

Now they're doing it again. This time for the new (final) Harry Potter book. I accept that back in the 70's, there wasn't anything like the same proliferation of credit cards, I doubt the cinema's were selling tickets in advance, and online bookings were just a twinkle in Tim Berners-Lee's eye. So if you wanted a ticket to the movie you probably didn't have much choice but to wait in the queue. And if that meant queuing for days - so be it.

But what on earth are people queuing for the HP book NOW for? Every time I've gone into WHSmith for the past 3 months their staff keep asking me if I would like to pre-order the new HP book. When I say no, they seemed almost upset. So I would ask them if they will be getting enough in to satisfy pre-orders and have loads on the shelf. "Oh yes" they reply. Then they get even more upset when I ask them WTF is the point in me pre-ordering.

This BBC news article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6905873.stm) is more about Ms Rowling and Bloomsbury getting all pi$$ed off because reviews of the book are hitting the papers a couple of days earlier than they wanted. Ahem.... Does anyone else understand the concept of FREE ADVERTISING? But it also covers the fact the people are queuing for the book already.

Has the world gone nuts?

A.:p

sedgie
19th July 2007, 08:38 PM
Yep they have!:confused: ....n does Harry Potter die in nxt book?????:) ....i'll know by sunday:p :D

I no buying book....but m8 is lol:o

AndyP & Lenore
19th July 2007, 08:43 PM
Yep they have!:confused: ....n does Harry Potter die in nxt book?????:) ....i'll know by sunday:p :D

I no buying book....but m8 is lol:o

I doubt she'll kill him off. Would upset a lot of fans if she did. Besides, that would put the kibosh on another set of books once he's Minister For Magic or something like that, later in life. You know.... once her money's run out. Or the TV animated cartoon. Or the serialised magazine. Or.... you get the drift.

A.:eek:

AndyP & Lenore
19th July 2007, 08:46 PM
Another good article on BBC News web site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6896062.stm). Tell the story of Harry Potter in 100 words.

Although I don't agree with the guy, the third submission down is very funny.

A.:D

duncan
19th July 2007, 08:48 PM
It would take a huge amount of excess for JKR to run out of money, and she doenst seem the type to blow it all on, well, the kind of things I would!

AndyP & Lenore
19th July 2007, 08:58 PM
It would take a huge amount of excess for JKR to run out of money, and she doenst seem the type to blow it all on, well, the kind of things I would!

Aye, according to Wikipedia, her wealth currently stands at £545M. It would take a fair few Chinese takeaways to zap that bundle.:eek:

A.:D

vintageb3
19th July 2007, 09:17 PM
Seem to remember back in the late 70's (I was just a tiny wee lad, so forgive me if I'm wrong)

So to be clear here...is that the 1870's or 1970's?

:eek: Just askin!...Jeez!..

mark

duncan
19th July 2007, 09:18 PM
100 million Sweet and Sour Chicken canton style with fried rice please.
What do you mean I don't get free prawn crackers with that?!?!

vintageb3
19th July 2007, 09:20 PM
Has the world gone nuts?

A.:p

As Uncle Albert used to say..."During the Wahhhrrrr......"

:eek: :D

mark

AndyP & Lenore
19th July 2007, 10:35 PM
100 million Sweet and Sour Chicken canton style with fried rice please.
What do you mean I don't get free prawn crackers with that?!?!

Hey our local Chinese takeaway even gives you a couple of free cans of pepsi if you spend more than £15.:D :D :D

A.;)

AndyP & Lenore
19th July 2007, 10:36 PM
So to be clear here...is that the 1870's or 1970's?

:eek: Just askin!...Jeez!..

mark

<<<Can't find the :shakes-head: smiley.

J Cee
21st July 2007, 03:50 AM
I am proud to say that I was one of those sad wee people who was standing in a queue on a hot summers day in 1977.
But that was back in the days of 50p a week pocket money and only three TV channels life was so simple.

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!