PDA

View Full Version : my Apple Mac Pro

Scottie
7th July 2007, 09:20 PM
is in the repair shop in Clydebank. It is an approved place Apple use.

6 months old and it went t1ts up.:mad: :mad:

Started making a weird sound and it would either switch off seconds after being switched on or would freeze when trying to use it.

Fingers crossed it comes back all fixed or I won't be happy.:mad:

minidriver#1
7th July 2007, 09:57 PM
Return it, ask for a refund, and wait till the Flash Disk ones come out in 3 months.

vintageb3
7th July 2007, 10:40 PM
Mine has been into Scotsys twice in the last two months...and has come back damaged each time...so back it goes...AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

The computer lay here for a week while i called them every day to be told it would be picked up that day!

Their service is crap...computer was delivered back to an address I specifically told them not to deliver to.

First they scratched the lid...and didn't put the base back on correctly.

This time they have scratched the screen...not put the base back on correctly...and now latch is hanging out of the top of the screen.

I'm going to phone Apple on Monday to complain.

Just be glad that yours in not being repaired by these clowns!

mark

vintageb3
9th July 2007, 08:59 PM
Fi...

I called Apple today about activating my Applecare Protection Plan (extra two years cover on my MacBook Pro). Extended warrenty...not a fruit contraceptive!:rolleyes:

I never take out extended anything...have saved a small fortune over the years...but my laptop is important to me...and the business pays for it :)

I had to call them...as you have to activate it before the end of your warranty...or its an easy process online.

I tried the easy way last night...but because Scotsys took a week to send it out...it was a no go!:mad:

Anyway, I also asked for advice on the shoddy service I'm receiving from Scotsys...and I conveyed to Apple...the damage (on two occasions) they have done to my laptop.

This call was to a chap in India...but his English was better than mine! Very courteous...with excellent manners.

He immediately put me onto customer service in Ireland...and a certain department within customer service. (SWAT TEAM)

Then I was speaking with a Swedish girl with a slighlty Irish accent.:) ;) :)

She was on the case right away....and asked me to send pictures of the damage.

OK OK!!!....Before Sweeney or Andy says it...Yeah...I was wondering if she would send me some pics as well!:eek: :D She sounded like a honey!!!

So...it looks like Apple of have decent customer services...so don't worry if you have problems with your Mac...I don't think Apple will let you down.

mark

AndyP & Lenore
9th July 2007, 09:06 PM
OK OK!!!....Before Sweeney or Andy says it...Yeah...I was wondering if she would send me some pics as well!:eek: :D She sounded like a honey!!!

mark

Sassin frassin.... beat me to it.:D

Scottie
9th July 2007, 09:06 PM
I got a call from the company in Clydebank today.

Mrs we can't seem to find a problem with your Laptop.

Oh yeh right I said then gave them the full story of what exactly is wrong with it.

Oh Ok yeh that's not right said the chap:rolleyes: will take another look.

Honestly :mad: :mad: Like I am going to go to all the trouble taking my Laptop through to them.

I will press for a new one cause it's sounds like to me (who knows nothing) that the awful sound is coming from the hard drive.

duncan
9th July 2007, 09:16 PM
They just work ;)

vintageb3
9th July 2007, 09:26 PM
Oh there you are!

I was missing you too...:D

mark

duncan
9th July 2007, 09:34 PM
Yeah, been a busy weekend at T. Glad you missed me ;)

vintageb3
9th July 2007, 09:41 PM
I got a call from the company in Clydebank today.

Mrs we can't seem to find a problem with your Laptop.

Oh yeh right I said then gave them the full story of what exactly is wrong with it.

Oh Ok yeh that's not right said the chap:rolleyes: will take another look.

Honestly :mad: :mad: Like I am going to go to all the trouble taking my Laptop through to them.

I will press for a new one cause it's sounds like to me (who knows nothing) that the awful sound is coming from the hard drive.

Fi...

You won't need a new one...they will replace any faulty component...and it will be A-OK. I really hope that your company are better than Scotsys. At least they called you to ask about the machine!

I have had two Mac laptops and both had failed Superdrives.

Its a well known issue that the Superdrives are crap in the Mac laptops. its the one weak link really. Kinda apt that the drive is made by MAT****A

I tell everyone just to get a combo drive...and add an external DVD burner if they are thinking about a Mac laptop. Never heard of a combo drive fail.

At least when you get your machine back...you will be using a OS X...it just works...to coin a phrase.:D

mark

vintageb3
9th July 2007, 09:43 PM
Yeah, been a busy weekend at T. Glad you missed me ;)

You ate all weekend?:rolleyes:

Least you can get back to work now....for a rest;)

mark

duncan
9th July 2007, 10:01 PM
You ate all weekend?:rolleyes:

Least you can get back to work now....for a rest;)

mark

If you had found the Stovies Stall, I guarantee you would have been eating too!:D

vintageb3
9th July 2007, 10:14 PM
How dare you!!!!:eek:

OK...you win...the food thing...I always lose when it gets to that bit!:eek: :rolleyes: :( :D

mark

monsta mo mini admin
10th July 2007, 09:04 AM
The super drives are pretty crap period. The one in my G5 tower went last week. Touch wood - 9 months in and my Macbook Pro had been a pleasure to use with absolutely no problems - they do work! :)

rpn
10th July 2007, 10:06 AM
Been thinking about getting a MacBook Pro for a while and is about to order one. mmmmm... me think me wait a little longer..... :rolleyes:

vintageb3
10th July 2007, 04:50 PM
RPN..Don't wait...get on with buying one. You will love it!

I've had four PC laptops and 2 Macs...and the Mac's are the only laptop...that felt like a desktop.

Only PC laptop I would consider these days is a Sony...but I know there are other good makes. Its really the OS that drives me towards the Mac. Absolutely faultless!

I do recommend buying a Mac with a combo drive instead of a Superdrive though....as Mo said...crap period!

You can add DVD burning for abour £30 these days....

mark

vintageb3
11th July 2007, 09:12 PM
On Monday I spoke to Apple Customer services about the damage and poor repairs done to my computer.

Last night I sent an email to them as requested with pictures of the damage.

Today at 10.00am I received I call from my little Swedish/Irish honey at Apple Ireland:rolleyes: :D

She started off by saying that she had received my mail...and had done her investigation and had arrived at a conclusion.

My brain went into overdrive...and thought...wait a minute...she's probably only been at work for an hour...I'm gonna get shafted here by a huge US corporation! (Ohh Missus!)

So I said...:"The more I think about this...the more I think Apple should force this service company into replacing my unit with a like for like unit!

She chuckled on the other end of the line...and this kinda annoyed me!:mad:

She said "Actually...that's what I've have decided we are going to do"

She told me that the damage was appalling and that Apple values its customers too much to have someone unhappy with their computer. It was a simple repair. They have had two opportunities to fix the machine...and failed."

She said..."How could a customer be expected to have any faith in a unit after receiving it back in that condition"

She is also upgrading my computer to the current better spec 15" model as my unit was the better of the two one year ago.

She may also be adding a years warranty.

I was speechless...(Yeah Yeah...doesn't happen often!:rolleyes: )

I did ask if it was out of the question if she could throw in a spare iPhone. I didn't get anywhere with that!

My unit will be dispatched from the factory and I should receive it within 10 days.

I can't believe that I didn't have to fight for this. Its not really what should be called "excellent service"...its really "expected service". But these days...it really does stand out as being excellent service!

Happy Apple man...Remember!...it just works! :eek: :D

AndyP & Lenore
11th July 2007, 09:17 PM
I did ask if it was out of the question if she could throw in a spare iPhone. I didn't get anywhere with that!

PMSL. You have to try I suppose.:D :D :D :D

A.;)

rpn
12th July 2007, 02:18 PM
Mark,

RPN..Don't wait...get on with buying one. You will love it!

When I first start using computer it was an Apple MacIntosh back in the late 80's and for a few years on and I loved them. Eventually migrated over to PC :eek: with DOS :eek: :eek: then Windows 3.xxx :eek: :eek: :eek: . Big big backward steps.

vintageb3
12th July 2007, 04:35 PM
Well...do you really mean that?

I think its probably a bit unfair to say that.

I loved my Windows machine up until I crossed over...and then realised that I simply couldn't go back to using one.

Although saying that....I only started using a Mac since Tiger...and I couldn't live with anything before that. Work flow in Tiger is so much better than anything before that I looked at. I9 had to work on a Panther machine recently...and I didn't like it very much.

Its obvious that there's room for both platforms...and each individual will use what they want ot use.

I think Leopard will be a huge leap forward yet again (no pun intended)...can't wait until its out!

mark

GAJ
12th July 2007, 11:10 PM
I'm a bit underwhelmed by Leopard, no real killer new features - Stacks looks ok but you can already add folders to the dock; Quick Look seems ok but the current preview icons aren't bad.

I'm sure it will be nice, I'm trying to convince myself otherwise cos my Mac is so old I don't think it will run all that well.

Happy 7th birthday Mac!

Scottie
30th July 2007, 12:00 AM
well had my Laptop back for coming on 2 weeks now. 2 of the 3 faults fixed although they tell me they actually done nothing to the Laptop.:confused:

but still my Laptop just switches off when every feels like it.

Really pi$$ed of at Apple no help and they want me to take it to Scotsys through Glasgow way.

Not interested in that the Laptop is only 7 months old still got my receipt just hopeless they are.

I like my Apple it has things about it that are better than a PC but I am seriously considering getting another Laptop a Sony as I am still using my Sony which is over 6 years old and still goes with no problems but a tad slow.

Scottie
15th August 2007, 06:47 PM
just got an email telling me my Laptop is fixed and ready for collection.

it also told me that the reapir is chargeable:confused:

How can that be it was the logic board and my laptop is not even out of the 12 month warranty.

AndyP & Lenore
15th August 2007, 08:04 PM

How can that be it was the logic board and my laptop is not even out of the 12 month warranty.

I would argue that one out with the Fi.

And going by Mark (VintageB3's) experience, it may be worth having it out with Apple themselves too.

A.:D

vintageb3
15th August 2007, 08:37 PM

I would be asking why that is the case!!:eek:

Chancers!

mark

Gismo
15th August 2007, 09:59 PM
I'd contact Apple first Fi and defo contact the shop before you pick it up, just in case they won't let you take it

vintageb3
16th August 2007, 07:28 PM
And???? update please?

mark

Scottie
16th August 2007, 08:34 PM
not home until Sunday will phone Apple Monday

Scottie
20th August 2007, 10:39 PM
No charge collect my Laptop tomorrow.

Craig
20th August 2007, 10:56 PM
that sounds like a better outcome...:D glad it's finally fixed..;)

AndyP & Lenore
20th August 2007, 11:12 PM
No charge collect my Laptop tomorrow.

At last! A victory for the common man.... or woman in your case.;)

A.:D

vintageb3
21st August 2007, 01:04 AM
Tell us what condition it is in when you get it back please:(

mark

Scottie
21st August 2007, 10:00 AM
Tell us what condition it is in when you get it back please:(

mark

same condition as it went away first class new looking:D

vintageb3
22nd August 2007, 10:16 PM