PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start, electrics on-off

minidriver#1
6th July 2007, 09:43 PM
Hey peeps, hoping someone can help me, just tried to start the car and it wont start, instead the electrics go on and off and the speedo vibrates and then the car just sits there with the radio on and thats about it.

Any ideas?

*cries*

Sweeney
6th July 2007, 09:46 PM
Check the battery connections, they come loose sometimes (mine did).

Rubber marigolds if you feel scared of any current going through you ;) Tighten up with usual tools etc You can waggle the leads about and will visually see if its loose.

If the connections are tight and fine, next step would be to describe exaclty what its doing, if its turning over and starter motor working away, is it just clicking, completely dead etc?

minidriver#1
6th July 2007, 09:57 PM
Its clicking. The engine doesn't make any noise at all. I turn the key in the ignition and everything begins to vibrate, the speedo needle vibrates and the digital display is blank. The car hasn't been driven regularly for around 4 months but the weird thing is I was able to reverse out the garage but when I tried to put the car back in it wouldn't start.

Thanks for the advice, I'll go take a look and see if I can spot something amiss.

Sweeney
6th July 2007, 10:00 PM
Have you check the battery connections? Sounds EXACTLY like what mine was doing. The speedo bouncing etc is the ECU resetting (resetting milage trip counter etc)

If the connections are fine, see if you can get hold of a spare battery to try or even just a voltmeter, check what sort of power it has and if theres enough current in it, possible battery could have just went gubbed (when you moved it, did you only run it for a short period of time? I know when my dad moves his from storage he gives them a good chance to get full charge and engine heat up etc)

minidriver#1
6th July 2007, 10:18 PM
yeah, short period of time. Cheers for the advice mate, much appreciated. I'll take a good look in the morning and let you know how I got on.

Sweeney
6th July 2007, 10:21 PM
No worries, aye hopefully its just the battery or battery connections.
ps: even a booster pack might put enough juice into the battery if it still holds charge to get it started, then run it to get it charged up again :D or jump leads from another car, although i have heard rumours that it isn't too good for modern ECU's etc to jump them?

vintageb3
6th July 2007, 10:39 PM
After a charge...and if you have a voltmeter you could measure the voltage across the battery.

If its near 9VDC...could mean a cell has died in the battery.

New battery time:(

mark

Burple
6th July 2007, 10:39 PM
Dude.. sounds like you're battery's gone flat or died..
the clicking noise will be the starter solenoid not getting enough juice.
Easy way to tell, put your lights on and try to start the car normally. If the lights go out, flat battery..

They do that if you leave them for a while sometimes :(

...told you shoulda let me look after it for ya ;):D

minidriver#1
6th July 2007, 10:40 PM
As long as i can get the car to Arbroath next week I'll be happy. Cheers guys.

minidriver#1
7th July 2007, 12:49 PM
I jump started the car and it's working fine :D I've left the engine running for a bit and drove it round the block a few times and the car seems to be running ok. I guess i'll just have to go without listening to the stereo for a few days.

Thanks for all the help and advice, much appreciated.

Scottie
7th July 2007, 08:31 PM
I jump started the car and it's working fine :D I've left the engine running for a bit and drove it round the block a few times and the car seems to be running ok. I guess i'll just have to go without listening to the stereo for a few days.

Thanks for all the help and advice, much appreciated.

now KJ what's your Carbon Footprint been today leaving the car running for a short while then running it around your block a few times think about your neighbours. tut tut.;) ;)

AndyP & Lenore
7th July 2007, 08:32 PM
now KJ what's your Carbon Footprint been today leaving the car running for a short while then running it around your block a few times think about your neighbours. tut tut.;) ;)

Been back 5 mins and you're http://www.x5drivers.co.uk/images/smiles/icon_prod_stick.gif already.:D

Scottie
7th July 2007, 08:34 PM
Been back 5 mins and you're http://www.x5drivers.co.uk/images/smiles/icon_prod_stick.gif already.:D

I know but KJ knows I'm having some fun with him he is always giving us big gas guzzling 4x4 owners a hard time even though we are more CO friendly than his motor. ain't that right KJ.;) :D

minidriver#1
8th July 2007, 11:58 AM

True, but I've only owned 2 cars in the past 6 years. How many have you had? ;) Besides, when i said I took it round the block I was steering and someone else was pushing it.