PDA

View Full Version : Convertible news

KenL
10th February 2004, 07:16 PM
For those interested in the new Convertible check out a host of new images etc on MINI2 at:

http://www.mini2.com/news/

http://www.mini2.com/images/convertible/conv_6_800.jpg

Big Col
10th February 2004, 08:14 PM
You know...it's really beginning to grow on me.

GAJ
10th February 2004, 08:30 PM
I got an email from MINI UK today too with a link to these pics. (http://www.mini.co.uk/UK/REDIR/frameset.jsp?d=convertible_teaser)

I am starting to think it looks OK too! I like the front bumper!

KenL
10th February 2004, 08:44 PM
I think it looks great in those pics.

Has anyone on here owned a Convertible? What's it like practically to own if you don't have a garage? Are they good as day to day cars or are they really only for people as a second car?

GAJ
10th February 2004, 09:34 PM
I used to have an MG Midget and no garage. I also had an old Cortina at the time. The Cortina was broken into twice (once by using another key like you could do with old Fords and once with a half Niddrie through the Window!)and the MG was never touched! I used to use the MG every day, without any problems and that car was as old as me. (No comments please!)
New convertibles with their automatic roofs and heated rear windows will be no problem at all. Soft tops based on hardtops are always heavier, slower and worse handling though.

Vosh
10th February 2004, 10:15 PM
It's alright I guess. But I really do not like what they've done with the centre speedo dial. Looks horrible!

Wul
10th February 2004, 10:15 PM
Nah - not convinced i'm afraid! Don't like the roof not folding completely away - making the back end look untidy IMHO! I realise this is to still have some boot space but i still think it would look better completely folded away out of sight.

Cool Wheels though!:cool:

KenL
10th February 2004, 10:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vosh

It's alright I guess. But I really do not like what they've done with the centre speedo dial. Looks horrible!

That's an option though so don't worry about it. I don't like the look at least in the pics either.

Burple
10th February 2004, 11:36 PM
Ooooooooh...
Got to say it's REALLY growing on me now.
The only part I don't like is the Ariel on the front of the roof. Itlooks totally out of place sitting up there!!!
A wee Sharkfin might be better.... ;)

zimbo
11th February 2004, 12:26 AM
Ahh its alright...... I dont like that colour or (like Wul) the fact that the roof does'nt fold away fully and the arial possitioning and finally those hinges on the boot!!

No No No.....;)

Big Col
11th February 2004, 12:32 AM
The ariel does make it look like the ill tempered sea bass with "friking laser beams" on their heads from Austin Powers.

GAJ
11th February 2004, 02:27 AM
The boot hinges are minging!

weefossy
11th February 2004, 07:14 AM
agree with most of the previous comments re hinges, ariel; but I think it would look better as a black S with body kit and better wheels. My problem is "Sioban loves it", but we will wait to see what the S looks like.
Looks like another "bank job". Should have done one when we were in Venice!!
Are BMW going to do a "solid lid" for the winter, like they have for the Z3?

macblob
11th February 2004, 07:16 AM
still not sure:approve:

broken_brian
11th February 2004, 09:12 AM
ok ok i give in the boot hinges are ****in horrid :dead: if they were the same size as classic mini hinges they would be ok.

but there is still nowt wrong with external hinges ok :D:cool:

u know who u are :evil::blackeye::evil:

Duncan Stewart
11th February 2004, 06:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

Soft tops based on hardtops are always heavier, slower and worse handling though.

That would be why the performance figures quoted are worse than the usual Mini's then?

zimbo
12th February 2004, 01:21 AM
quote:Originally posted by broken_brian

ok ok i give in the boot hinges are ****in horrid :dead: if they were the same size as classic mini hinges they would be ok.

but there is still nowt wrong with external hinges ok :D:cool:

u know who u are :evil::blackeye::evil:

Wot .. wot... who?? oh its you well as you said the classic ones were fine but these ones are HUUUGGEEEE... they must be the cause of a great amount of the weight of the convertable... :D:dead:

weefossy
12th February 2004, 05:40 AM
Just thinking how mucky the rear end of a Mini gets and what the back of the soft top will look like in winter? and no rear wiper!

lightbody
12th February 2004, 05:42 AM
Argh!

Its happening all over again.... that feeling.... I WANT ONE!!!

The hood folds away amazingly well considering... looks better than any other small car thats been made into a convertible....

KenL
12th February 2004, 07:40 AM
Go get one then Rob.

I'm definitely going into a showroom for a look/test drive when they come out. Don't think I would have the b*lls to go for one but I'm really intrigued, think it looks great.

KenL
4th March 2004, 09:05 PM
More bits on the convertable at:
http://www.mini2.com/news/news221.html

Fontal
4th March 2004, 09:38 PM
I like the look of the new xenons

Linda M
4th March 2004, 10:30 PM
It's growing on me quite a lot but my convertible days are over so Willie doesn't need to worry :D

zimbo
5th March 2004, 12:18 AM
So the orange is CABRIO-ONLY, well that gets a big Boooooooo from me, the new xenons look rather cool:cool: Dont like the new gauge option in place of the big speedo(looks cheap and nasty) better putting the sat nav in there if you want the speedo on the steering column.

p.s The blue doesnt look too shabby tho...

weefossy
5th March 2004, 08:15 AM
the BRG looks good. nice cream interior. Has anyone heard about a solid plastic roof for winter??

Mini Martyn
7th March 2004, 08:14 AM
Mmm this is starting to grow on me, think my dad fancies one though, could be good I could bring it along on the summer runs!! :cool:

KenL
7th March 2004, 08:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by weefossy

the BRG looks good. nice cream interior. Has anyone heard about a solid plastic roof for winter??

Don't think they are making a hard top available

monkimagic
9th March 2004, 05:01 AM
Just like the rest of the MINI family, the MINI Convertible has four seats and is blessed with striking good looks, gutsy personality and go-kart style handling. With an optional equipment list longer than any other car in its class, four airbags and parking distance control fitted as standard, the MINI Convertible may appear small but it thinks big.

No fiddling on this roof
Both the MINI One Convertible and MINI Cooper Convertible have fully automatic roofs as standard. The roof operates in two stages. Press the button once and the roof slides back 40 cm creating an ‘open sunroof’. Press the button again and the roof retracts fully, neatly folding down into a compact arrangement behind the rear seats. No messy catches or tricky tonneau covers are involved – only 15 seconds and the press of a button stand between the driver and the joys of open-air motoring.

God damn !!!!!! I'd have one, if I lived in the south of France, which I dont so I aint gettin one.

Monki

CelticLover
6th May 2004, 08:51 PM
Well, hi, I'm new here so go gently!

I've ordered and am waiting for my convertible. red with white 17" alloys, white mirrors, black roof, chilli pack, chome line interior etc etc, and the list keeps growing....

I get the car on 7th July, but can't wait. Already I'm mini obsessive - hopefully I'll see some of you out and about. I'll be kicking about Glasgow/Bothwell/Hamilton, so if you see me give me a toot!
:cool: