PDA

View Full Version : Chuffin' runflats

s15gma
2nd July 2007, 09:28 PM
Had my baby for bout 2 and a half months - needing new bloody front tyres already!!! Too scared to get prices - grudge tyres and anything that ain't a mod!!!

Anyone else finding they are very very soft and disappear???? Claire - you sure they were at correct depth before I got her??? Hmmmmm????;)

Anyone been getting really good prices on them too?? All suggestions welcome!!!

Gem

AndyP & Lenore
2nd July 2007, 10:09 PM
Hint hint hint hint hint..... (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12090):D :D :D :D

FergusM
2nd July 2007, 10:11 PM
Or dump the run flats and get normal tyres...cheaper, better handling and better ride quality !

ELFMAN
2nd July 2007, 10:48 PM
TWO AND A HALF MONTHS!!!!! What are you doing? Burnouts???? I swapped my fronts to the back last year, and still have a fair bit of tread on all tyres at nearly 19,000miles........ and it doesn't get treated with kid gloves. Is your tracking etc OK?

vintageb3
3rd July 2007, 01:07 AM
TWO AND A HALF MONTHS!!!!! What are you doing? Burnouts???? I swapped my fronts to the back last year, and still have a fair bit of tread on all tyres at nearly 19,000miles........ and it doesn't get treated with kid gloves. Is your tracking etc OK?

Mr Elf

Did you know that you should have your best tyres on the back not the front?

This is from a tyre guide on the net
-------

Is it a good idea to rotate your tyres?

Many tyre manufacturers agree that it is no longer good practice to rotate your tyres in order to extend their legal life. The reasons for this are;

Partly worn tyres are more likely to experience punctures – particularly in wet weather conditions.

Front tyre deflation will create an under-steer effect which is easier to control than over-steer (the effect produced by a rear tyre deflation)

In the unlikely event that a tyre deflates suddenly, then it is easier to control the vehicle if this occurs at the front of the vehicle. For improved handling and stability it is now recommended that the ‘best’ tyres, those with the most tread, should always be fitted at the rear of the vehicle. This is irrespective of whether the car is front or rear wheel drive.
------
mark

Sweeney
3rd July 2007, 07:17 AM
Mark, thats purely personal opinion...
Taking into account the front wheels on the mini do all the driving and majority of braking plus steering, its actualy widely regarded that FWD cars should have better tread on front than rear.

Gismo
3rd July 2007, 07:25 AM
Had my baby for bout 2 and a half months - needing new bloody front tyres already!!!
Did you buy the car new, what i mean is, have you driven all the miles on the tyres :)

vintageb3
3rd July 2007, 07:58 AM
Mark, thats purely personal opinion...
Taking into account the front wheels on the mini do all the driving and majority of braking plus steering, its actualy widely regarded that FWD cars should have better tread on front than rear.

Sweeney mate

The above info said that many manufacturers today agree that rotating tyres isn't a good idea.

Personal opinion? ...not my opinion!

I wished I could find the place I read about this first. They actually carried out experiments with advanced drivers (racing...rally I think) and production cars...both front and rear wheel drive.

Short of it was...they didn't tell the drivers what was going to happen on this test road...and the results proved that if the best tyres were on the back...the drivers managed to correct problems and drive through the problem. When the best tyres were on the front...each time the drivers couldn't correct the problem.

My best tyres are still my fronts i reckon...but shown evidence like that given on that website...it could hardly be regarded as a personal opinion.

When I get more time I will try and find the site.

mark

Sweeney
3rd July 2007, 08:16 AM
I didn't say your personal opinion ;)

GAJ
3rd July 2007, 09:10 AM
My personal opinion is that the best tyres should be on the rear. That's experience talking - I had new tyres on the front but my rears only had about 3 or 4 mm tread left, which is still double the legal limit and I managed to spin the car in the rain.

Mark R
3rd July 2007, 10:02 AM
My personal opinion is that the best tyres should be on the rear. That's experience talking - I had new tyres on the front but my rears only had about 3 or 4 mm tread left, which is still double the legal limit and I managed to spin the car in the rain.

I have to agree with your opinion on this. I swapped rather worn tyres from front to back just recently and the rear end would just slide around corners all the time so I replaced them and have had a much better handling and road holding experiance again.

euan
3rd July 2007, 11:44 AM
Personally, I'd rather see the accident I'm about to have than go into a hedge backwards.

So I'm all for having good tyres on the rear. And not just because the car is RWD!!!

Neil and Lorna
3rd July 2007, 12:05 PM
My recent experience.

I replaced our rear tyres recently the new ones I left on the back. if it had been nearer winter I would of put the new ones on the front.

As far as my experience goes is I had massive over steer with the new tyres on the back to the extent that the car felt unsafe on corners, roundbouts and pulling out to overtake.

I have now swapped the new ones to the front what a difference the car now feels glued to the tarmac again and goes exactly were I want it to go.

So in closing I would say that some people prefer different driving dynamics of a car so go with what you prefer and are confident with.

Neil.:D