PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Life

Dashik
26th June 2007, 06:18 PM
Hi, Now I know as an ADI the car gets a bit more abuse than normal but what would be a reasonable life for the clutch?

I had one replaced under warrenty at 37k miles and it looks like its going again but this time its just done 22k miles!!:eek:

Serioiusly concerned if thats all you get out of a clutch.

I know ADI's driving corsa's etc at 70k miles and still have not replaced a clutch!

Gorbash12346
26th June 2007, 07:28 PM
depends entirely my dads 530D has done 183k miles and it's still on it's original clutch and it certainly wasn't driven gently

just depends on how you drive it

Sweeney
26th June 2007, 07:40 PM
Mini has a soft clutch as far as im aware, compared to other cars out there, also bearing in mind it has more power than the corsa's and weighs a lot more ;)

But totally dependant on driving styles, conditions etc, if you wanted you could burn a clutch out in a matter of seconds...

From what ive read though expect anything between 25k and 40k for mini clutches, exception of 50's on a few.

X30YES
26th June 2007, 08:51 PM
From what ive read though expect anything between 25k and 40k for mini clutches, exception of 50's on a few.
is that the owners age or the milage ;)

Sweeney
26th June 2007, 09:35 PM
:o Both. ;)

Moonshine
27th June 2007, 08:29 AM
I changed mine at 75K, and it was OK then, but i was getting the gearbox bearings rebuilt and therefore it was a bit of a no-brainer to change it when the box was already out.

Gerry

bigcoyote
28th June 2007, 04:57 AM
You might consider changing to a aftermarket clutch and 1-pc flywheel - lighter and longer lasting than the factory parts.

It is a very common mod over here after the warranty runs out.

Good luck:)

Dashik
28th June 2007, 04:20 PM
Phoenix have got authorisation to replace the clutch and probably the flywheel under warrenty = WIN :D

Have to say Mark Thomson, their service delivery manager, comes up trumps for me everytime :D

/breathes sigh of relief at not having to spend £1000+.......

sjfield1
30th June 2007, 11:28 AM
Hey, i am an ADI and on my 4th Mini. All my minis have been traded in at about 50k. But the clutch has been fine. Had trouble with my last car, but got the clutch changed under warranty. I hear of instructors having new clutches in Fords after about 30k so think the mini is pretty good.

Dashik
30th June 2007, 12:07 PM
Thats exactly why I was a bit peeved when they failed at 37K and 22K miles. Other than that I cant fault the car. Its nigh on perfect! :D

Dashik
4th July 2007, 08:53 PM
Well called phoenix this afternoon and was pleased to find they replaced both the clutch AND the flywheel under warrenty = WIN :D

However they informed me I was needing new front brake pads in about 3 more miles as it was grazing the wear indiator sensor, so they have been done at the same time for £££'s and to add icing on the cake as they were finishing off the technian spotted an oil leak at the bottom engine mount thingy so its tommorrow morning for the collection. This is also a warrenty repair so I cant complain too much and at least they check things like brake wear and for other problems etc.