PDA

View Full Version : new toy .

scottymc
24th June 2007, 11:34 PM
http://www.europe-nikon.com/resources/g~~/GNEaxCabQL2I-aRF3JcbZWfCwjXv5sVk/e1tthQ-UrWHGjdLhLR8A67tsX3OiudRz/LizARp_PuNM9ODv4OmwiN.jpg

nikon d40x, 10.2 mega picels to play withh. walked in to wilkinsons cameria shop, and walked out with one of these bad boys and lost nearly £700 in the process. problem is i don't have a clue how to use the thing.

AndyP & Lenore
25th June 2007, 12:19 AM
nikon d40x, 10.2 mega picels to play withh. walked in to wilkinsons cameria shop, and walked out with one of these bad boys and lost nearly £700 in the process. problem is i don't have a clue how to use the thing.[/QUOTE]

Then that was a real balsy purchase.;)

You're lucky in that getting to grips with SLR digital camera's is not as difficult as one would think. I'd suggest you get a simple guide to SLR cameras - they all share the same basic terminology - and get out there taking pics. The beauty of digital is you're not wasting film and proccessing.

But £700?!?!?! Holy sh!t, you must have spent a bit on lenses or flash-guns or something, 'cos the basic d40X is in the mid £400's isn't it?

Happy photies.:D

A.

scottymc
25th June 2007, 12:38 AM
i'm sure the cameria body was £459

but i bought a kit and a few other bits
cameria body
1 gig sd card
nikon 18 - 55 lens
nikon 55 - 200 lens
spare battery
bag
tripod

£678.97

went to jessops round the corner thinking oh it will be cheaper as they are bankrupt and wanna sell stuff up but it was over £60 more expensive. then i was thinking no wonder they went bankrup, i have ordered a book called digital slr for dummies it should be here tuesday so i can have a read.

AndyP & Lenore
25th June 2007, 12:49 AM
Cracking camera kit mate. And the book will see you right in no time.

I've got a Canon EOS 350D with an 18-55 lens which is native to the 350D and a 75 to 300 lens which I bought when I had my EOS400 (film camera). Because the (cheaper end) digital SLR's don't use a full frame ccd the non-native zoom lenses actually give something like a 1.6 x magnification effect. So with the 300mm zoom, I'm actually getting effectively 480mm. Very cool, but needs a tripod. I'd like to think the salesman sold you a 55 to 200 lens which is native to the digital SLR, to get the best out of the lens. If it's just a standard Nikon mount 200mm lens, you'll probably be getting an effective 320mm out of it.;)

A.:D

scottymc
25th June 2007, 01:04 AM
yeah, both lens are for the digital cameria range no magnification due to the sensor.

he said if i want other lenes i should just look at the sigma stuff. and i quote

"ware nikon and cannon lens win over all the other is the clarity of image across lens right to the edge. as these cameria's your looking at don't have a full sized sensor it doesn't use all of the lens so you don't need the clarity of image so you can get away with the cheaper lens say a tamron or sigma"

i sorta understand what he is saying up i don't have a clue if its true or not.