PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance Walks

The Dogfather
19th June 2007, 06:19 PM
Has anyone on hear every tried to do a long distance walk, e.g. the West Highland Way or Pennine way?

I'm planning to do the Coast to Coast in September and was wondering if anyone had any (serious) advice. The C2C is 190 miles and is usually done in 12 days.

Neil and Lorna
20th June 2007, 09:17 AM
Paul.

We did the West Highland Way a few years ago.
Will post more later when i've got more time, rushing off to work just now.

Neil and Lorna.:D

Neil and Lorna
20th June 2007, 09:24 PM
Paul.

We did the WHW a few years ago.

It was tough going but very enjoyable, we made the mistake of doing it the hard way:eek: carrying tents,stove and food to be self sufficient for 2-3 days at a time. My pack weighed over 2 stone:eek: . On reflection after we should of planned it better and used B&Bs. So therefore we wouldn't of been carrying as much gear.

The advice I can give is carry lots of Compeed blister packs. Carry a change of footwear depending on terrain I.E. trainers for the easy bits and walking boots for the tough bits.

Above all keep smiling even when the rain is horizontal.

Neil and Lorna.:D

P.S. Don't forget a pin to burst the blisters.:eek:

The Dogfather
21st June 2007, 10:52 AM
Neil thanks for the advice.

I'm trying to build up my stamina, yesterday I did a 20 mile walk with a heavy rucksack and surprisingly I feel OK today. The longest section on the C2C is 23 miles but most are 15 - 20 BTW.

My rucksack should be fairly light on most sections as I'm getting picked up/dropped off by Jackie. Also, this will allow me to have a greater choice of places to stay as the accommodation gets booked up way in advance.

The dog will also be doing the walk and he'll be getting a set of panniers for his kit (food and water).

I managed to get some really lightweight Gortex boots (Nike) which are as comfortable as their trainers and will be suitable for most of the route, I'll only need the heavy duty boots for a few boggy sections across the moors.

Blisters aren't usually a problem for me but I'll be stocking up on the compeed just in case.

Burple
21st June 2007, 11:59 AM
The dog will also be doing the walk and he'll be getting a set of panniers for his kit (food and water).

That's a brilliant idea!! :D:D:cool:
I can just imagine Elliot disappearing into the bushes and coming back out without panniers, and a satisfied, full look on his face! :D:D

The Dogfather
21st June 2007, 12:23 PM
No chance of that happening, he'll be on the lead all the way. Too many sheep and rabbits, and he likes to chase them both.

Craig
21st June 2007, 01:21 PM
I've done a few long distance walks (in the Sierra Nevade Mountains in California and the Adirondack Mountains in Maine). I also did the carrying of all my provisions/tent etc and it can take a lot out of you. We did 5 days with approx 15 miles each day in 90-95 Degree heat. I certainly lost a wee bit of weight those weeks. :eek: ;)

I would suggest always carrying more water than you think you will ever need, if you run out of water, your in big trouble.

I would also break in any footwear that you are going to use and do A LOT of practice to see if they are suitable for the terrain..

Above all, preparation and planning will make it much easier in the long run. Hope it goes well... :D

The Dogfather
21st June 2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the advice Craig, I doubt North Yorkshire and the Lakes will be that hot but you never know ;)

Tomorrow, I'm walking 15 miles which after yesterday's 20 should be a breeze.

I've just got myself a camelpac thingy as I terrible for not drinking enough liquids. I reckon the new boots will have covered at least 200 miles before the C2C so they be well broken in by then.

I'm planning to do a video blog and take loads of photos, who knows if I get a good phone when I start working for Orange next week I might be able to upload the stuff live! :D

hogg88
25th June 2007, 11:06 AM
Wishing you all the best with your walk :)

I did the WHW last year in typical west coast weather, pouring rain / beautiful sunshine. Did it the sensible way like your doing by getting most of your kit transferred for you, It makes such a differance. But will say this, make sure your boots are well aired and dried before you put them back on if you get soaked the day before.

Enjoy