PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop Runflats question

AndyP & Lenore
18th June 2007, 12:17 AM
Firstly, not sure if this is a Gen Disc topic or a Mods, Faults & Fixes question, so, mods, move it if you wish.

Secondly, I know there is a massive NON-runflat brigade out there. Please, I really don't want the answer, "Change to non-runflats". Fact is, I'm not having Lenore out there with the car on her own without the security of run flats.

ON our new R56 we have Dunlop SP01 run flats. We have found with the R56 there is an inconsistency in the handling of the car. Sometimes it will take a bend with no problems, holding the tarmac like the fantastic go-kart the MINI's are. However, sometimes when we take (even gentle) bends it feels like the car is behaving like a plate of jelly. It's not a loss of grip sensation, like we are expecting to loose the back end on a hairy bend, it's more of a slew from the back of the car on even slight bends. ASC hasn't yet kicked in, but we are still taking it (reasonably) easy as the car has only done 400 miles - ish, and we are still getting used to it.

On our R53 we had Dunlop Sp9000 run flats. These tyres were absolutely fantastic at road holding. The only time ASC kicked in was when we were caught in a snow storm going over an exposed hill last winter (on the way back from MINI Meats 6 or 7). The only problem with these tyres was the bone shattering ride. Very harsh indeed.

On our Cooper CVT we had Pirelli somethings (don't know what model). They were slippy as hell. Always loosing the back end, DSC constantly kicking in. Hated these tyres.

We have noticed that the SP01's and the Pirelli's have the same Asymmetrical tread pattern. The Sport 9000's have a Symmetrical pattern and are rotational.

So (and thanks for bearing with me) my questions are....

Is it possible that the SP01's are causing this poor handling feeling? Is it possible the Sport9000's are actually better at gripping the road? (The SP01's are the new model of Run on flat from Dunlop, (I think) replacing the Sport9000's).

Or is it a case of we've only had the car for 1 week - 400 miles and need to get more used to the way it handles? Trouble is, we never felt this handling issue with the R53 ever - not even from day one.

All info and opinions appreciated.

A.:D

AndyP & Lenore
18th June 2007, 12:18 AM
Just re-read my post and can't help thinking Sweeney has competition for his title as "20 Questions".

A.;) :D

Sweeney
18th June 2007, 12:46 AM
Speaking of Sweeney, here i am!

To sum up a short answer here goes, i'll try make sense :p
The sp9000 is a sport tyre whereas the sp01 seems to be a general all purpose one but yes, sp9000 is being replaced by it. They won't hold the road as well as the sp9000's did but you shouldn't have that come into play unless booting its arse around. Check your pressures (i suggest using a digital guage as anologue are incredibly innacurate), have you hit any potholes recently which could have knocked alignment or tracking out?

They will slide a bit etc even more so if wet/greasy as they are new tyres but that should go after a while, ive just had new non runflats fitted and they have been sliding all ends but starting to get better after that drive to and from oban :D. Im sure the new r56 suspension setups are "softer" in comparison to r53's, so if that was the case all you may be feeling is more roll as the road holding won't be as hard. Fact is as well that they are different tyres and all tyres have different feel and responses to them.

I have 5 dunlop sp9000's (1 has been repaired after a couple nails got in it :eek:) for sale very soon if your interested ;).

Hope this helps?

illegalhunter
18th June 2007, 07:10 AM
the new car has the second generation of runflats on it & there suposed to be lots better.

vintageb3
18th June 2007, 07:28 AM
Could it be the tyres aren't warm when you notice this sliding about?

I think the runflats take longer to heat up and get "grippy" (is that a word?)

mark

AndyP & Lenore
18th June 2007, 09:38 AM
the new car has the second generation of runflats on it & there suposed to be lots better.

"Supposed" could be the important word in that sentence.

A.:confused:

AndyP & Lenore
18th June 2007, 09:39 AM
Could it be the tyres aren't warm when you notice this sliding about?

I think the runflats take longer to heat up and get "grippy" (is that a word?)

mark

Believe me Mark, the tyres were warm as f***.:eek: ;) :D

A.:D

Sweeney
18th June 2007, 10:04 AM
Tyres should be safe under normal driving conditions regardless of flex, heat etc

aid
19th June 2007, 12:24 PM
as sweeney said double check tyre pressures then have your local dealer look at tracking (should do this for free 15min job)

and the if still problems have dealer look at the suspension set up i.e the settings on the shocks you may be looking at a bad rear shock

dunlop would not spend $$$$$$ on developing and putting a product to market if it was that bad

hope it all works out