PDA

View Full Version : Clay

Coop
17th June 2007, 05:29 PM
Quick question - Ive run out of the spray stuff that goes with my Quick Clay. Can I use something else instead? Is it just a case eof keeping the surface wet or does it do another job?

Ta, Grant

Dashik
17th June 2007, 08:28 PM
Meguire's quick detailing spray. Comes with their clay kit and most Halfords sell it. Works a treat.

Alternatively possibly some soapy water? It's used as a lubricant so I would imagine a little fairy in the water should be ok.

Sweeney
17th June 2007, 08:51 PM
You can buy another bottle but that'd be expensive as it doesn't last long, warm soapy water would do fine

Big Gordy
18th June 2007, 08:27 AM
I think Wul (the Buffmeister:cool: ) recommends a 50/50 mix of water and car shampoo as an appropriate lubricant for claying ;) :D No doupt he'll be along later to correct me if I'm wrong:rolleyes: :p

Burple
18th June 2007, 10:31 AM
I think Wul (the Buffmeister:cool: ) recommends a 50/50 mix of water and car shampoo as an appropriate lubricant for claying ;) :D No doupt he'll be along later to correct me if I'm wrong:rolleyes: :p

^^ What the big man says.
I ran out last time too, so I used a mix of Meguiars shampoo / water in the original Quick Detailer squirty bottle. Worked a treat :cool:

ianking
18th June 2007, 08:29 PM
Meguire's quick detailing spray. Comes with their clay kit and most Halfords sell it. Works a treat.

Alternatively possibly some soapy water? It's used as a lubricant so I would imagine a little fairy in the water should be ok.

Oh my god man dont put washing up liquid (fairy) any where near your car. Fairly liquid is an abrassive de-waxer that also contains salt.
Basically it takes any wax off the car and replaces it with salty water. :mad:

Sweeney
18th June 2007, 08:40 PM
He is claying it... any wax etc is going to be stripped anyways ian ;)

ianking
18th June 2007, 08:46 PM
He is claying it... any wax etc is going to be stripped anyways ian ;)

Right enough but it does have abrasive qualities and you certainly dont want to be putting stuff like that on nice mini paintwork.

Sweeney
18th June 2007, 08:48 PM
Yeah i know, try convincing those on here though ;) wouldnt do any harm smply using it as a lube for claying, not gonna be claying all that often

Dashik
18th June 2007, 11:47 PM
Oh my god man dont put washing up liquid (fairy) any where near your car. Fairly liquid is an abrassive de-waxer that also contains salt.
Basically it takes any wax off the car and replaces it with salty water. :mad:

LOL, Opps, Shows what I know! :o I just used Meguires detailer anyway. I would only clay the car maybe once a year anyway. Its not something I'd do very often as yes it strips the wax but it can also remove some of the laquer layer.

Wul
19th June 2007, 10:32 AM
I'm here! ;)

Save your quick detailer for making the car shiney after washing it. As Big G and LnL said - a 50/50 mix of CAR SHAMPOO and water in a squirty bottle makes an excellent clay lube. Or what I do is give the car a quick wash, then refill the bucket with a higher concentrated mix of shampoo and using the clay and wash mitt at the same time, then rinse and polish - saves a fair bit of time. :)

Coop
21st June 2007, 06:13 PM
Many thanks to everyone for the sound advice. Apart from those who suggested using fairy liquid :confused:

The only time that gets near my car is in the boot after a trip to Asda! :D

Cheers all :)

Dashik
21st June 2007, 09:05 PM
Many thanks to everyone for the sound advice. Apart from those who suggested using fairy liquid :confused:

The only time that gets near my car is in the boot after a trip to Asda! :D

Cheers all :)

Thats me told then eh?

Wul
22nd June 2007, 11:32 AM
TBH - Fairy can be used to strip the wax off the car - just not as a clay lube - but the salt can accelerate corrosion and disolve wheel grease etc.

weefossy
10th July 2007, 10:52 PM
Woh!! used a Meguiars clay for the first time tonight......it is not natural to take a lump of "blue-tack" and some fancy spray to the body work of a car. I was so apprehensive that I had a practice on Claire's black KA, which was pretty manky. It works fantastic, but it still scares me sh**less.

How long will a clay last? Will it do a whole car? Can you clean the clay, or how many times can you just "need" it like it says on the tin?

Is there a "down side" to using a clay?

Mon the fish
11th July 2007, 04:23 PM
Woh!! used a Meguiars clay for the first time tonight......it is not natural to take a lump of "blue-tack" and some fancy spray to the body work of a car. I was so apprehensive that I had a practice on Claire's black KA, which was pretty manky. It works fantastic, but it still scares me sh**less.

How long will a clay last? Will it do a whole car?

Should do, a few times over. Lasts as long as its still clean really.

Can you clean the clay, or how many times can you just "need" it like it says on the tin?

I wouldn't use cleaning agents on it, clean it when you use the double-strength wash mixture as a lubricant (ooh matron!)

Is there a "down side" to using a clay?

Nope, just that you have to fully re-polish the car afterwards...:rolleyes: