PDA

View Full Version : help play mini exhaust for a cooper

adamonline
17th June 2007, 02:25 PM
im in a bit of a mess

i've decided i want the play mini slash cut exhaust but i dont know whether to order the silenced centre pipe or the straight thru pipe. my only thing with the straight thru pipe is that it might be too loud and get irritating on long journeys on the motorway.

but i dont want the silenced to be too quite and not sporty

also is the straight thru exhaust legal for on the road use

hope you lot can help me.

adam:) :)

Sweeney
17th June 2007, 02:54 PM
As far as i know, sticking at motorway speed etc it remains sedate its only when you accelerate it'll sound loud.

In regards to the legality of it, it states that any modifications to increase noise emissions over and above factory parts/levels then they can put it off the road... As long as you don't rev the nuts out of it when near police then you should be fine. Ive yet to see anyone getting done for having a loud exhaust it's only when they've been acting like a tit do they get the attention they deserve. As it says somewhere that causing undue excessive noise (revving the nuts out of the engine/redlining, whether your idle, pulling away etc) can result in a fine, not sure about penalty points though.

PS: How many corsa's, puntos etc you heard going about that sound like an F1 car but are only going 30odd mph ;) the playmini is rather sedate compared to other modified car setups.

adamonline
17th June 2007, 03:45 PM
thats great thanks bud is that with the straight thru pipe.
also do they still pass mot's fine or isnt it affected

Sweeney
17th June 2007, 03:48 PM
Unless you touch the CAT then it'll be fine for MOTs but i know plenty people who have got sports cats/no cats at all and still pass! ;)

I was talking on the basis of the Straight through pipe aye, as it just means its a bit of pipe where the silencer would've been ;). If you think its too loud it wouldnt take much for any decent custom exhaust place to put the silencer in

PS: I haven't got a playmini exhaust so im only talking in general opinion.

Burple
18th June 2007, 10:43 AM
im in a bit of a mess

i've decided i want the play mini slash cut exhaust but i dont know whether to order the silenced centre pipe or the straight thru pipe. my only thing with the straight thru pipe is that it might be too loud and get irritating on long journeys on the motorway.

but i dont want the silenced to be too quite and not sporty

also is the straight thru exhaust legal for on the road use

hope you lot can help me.

adam:) :)

The Single pipe (straight through) one is the only way to go. Even if you have an induction kit on the car, it's not that loud. I had mine on my previous Cooper and the current One. To be honest I didn't even think about the extra silencer one.
I'm pretty sure everybody on NMS who has one has the straight through pipe. As Sweeney says, it's only loud when you REALLY boot it - i.e. accelerate pretty hard anywhere above 4000rpm - even then it's not 'Ned in a Nova' loud.. it's fine on the motorway too, only loud enough to remind you it's there now and again :cool::cool:
Pootling round town, you hardly notice it.

Ooh, this gives me an excuse to post this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmkmLPJfjLE
That's mine, after being on 2 cars, and covering close on 60,000 miles. Not the best vid ever, and it's much quieter than that round town. New ones are DEFINITELY a little quieter.;)

Go for it. you won't be disappointed. :D I'm sure some of the rest of the contented Playmini crew will be aling soon too :D

p.s... don't think about the TT style one - it's far too quiet!

Sweeney
18th June 2007, 11:03 AM
Heres one of CoNs playmini http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhQQyUPBwpQ
And one of sleepyrascals playmini http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SleC2AOE1c

Craig
18th June 2007, 11:05 AM
I agree with Low'n'loud. I had the Playmini on my first MINI and the JCW Sound Kit on my second and must say that the Playmini is MUCH better in noise and quality. (my jcw exhaust needed replaced after 6 months for knackered baffles.)

don't get the silenced front pipe - UNSILENCED ALL THE WAY... :D

also get the slash cut - looks much better also ;) All IMHO. :)

adamonline
18th June 2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks Alot To All Of You.
You Have Definatly Made Up My Mind And Its Unsilenced All The Way.

:) :) :)

Cheers!

:d :d :d