PDA

View Full Version : Wheels & Tyres Question

miniminx
16th June 2007, 06:06 PM
Hi,

Our mini One D will need two front tyres very soon & the car is fitted with 16" 5 spoke Mini wheels with runflat tyres.

My thoughts are to change the & replace the whole set up with some new alloys & tyres but non run flats.

If we went this route how do we get over the problem when/if we get a puncture?
Also, would the tyre pressure/runflat light be always on? with out runflats fitted.

been looking here at some wheels & tyres.

http://www.alloywheels.com/search.asp?numrecordposition=1&strSize=17%22&strkeywords=4x100%20et37,4x100%20et38,4x100%20et40 ,4x100%20et42,4x100%20et45,4x100%20et48,4x100/56-1%20et45&strSort=Low&Make=BMW&Model=New%20Mini

Thanks
Mike:)

Gismo
16th June 2007, 07:08 PM
Ah well, there are several things you can do, for instance, Wul uses some special kind of goo that coats the inside of the tyre and stops punctures.
You could carry a spare, or, a can of the stuff from the likes of Halfords that you inject into the tyre to reinflate the tyre and repair the puncture.

The choice is yours, only you can decide which option as others all have a story to tell and why to go or not to go with runflats.

As for the tyre sensor, it won't come on unless you have a puncture, or, at least, one tyre is significantly lower than the other one on the same axle.
The sensor is governed off the rolling circumference, not the tyre itself.

Sweeney
16th June 2007, 10:42 PM
I have just recently taken the plunge and replaced all tyres with new non runflats.

Once you know what alloys your getting you can then choose a tyre, although some tyres are better than others obviously ;) Most aftermarket 17" wheels are 7.5J wide im sure though, mini 17"s are 7J but im sure its a straight swap (will probably be useful getting a kds or at least tracking sorted once fitted though).

Having had punctures on my runflats, they were bloody useless when it happened so i think id rather save the expense and hastle and just stick with non runflats. If i get a puncture ive got 2 cans of 400ml tyreweld (usual 300ml can is only for tyres up to 155mm wide, 400ml is for 155+), im currently waiting on my http://www.dynaplug.com/ to arrive as well (credit to mark for posting the link in antoher thread).

As BS says, the indicator won't show at all unless you sustain a puncture or a tyre loses pressure, you will need to reset the RFI once you have fitted the new wheels and/or tyres. Thats easy to do though and is meant to be done everytime you put air in them ;)

Dashik
16th June 2007, 11:20 PM
Hmmm... Yes... I'm fairly sure...... Get round ones... ;) :D

AeroJonny
17th June 2007, 12:33 AM
be careful with changing the wheels on a one D, the higher mass of the new wheels will sap the already low power levels produced by the engine and this will also result in drastically reduced fuel consumption. Do you really want a slower, thirstier car??

You could always get a tunit chip to compensate ;)