PDA

View Full Version : Cooper facelift date?

euan
14th June 2007, 12:29 PM
When were the last model Cooper facelifted with new bumpers etc?

My brother is looking at a July 04 car, will it be the updated model? (he's not seen photos yet, and the stealer a useless giddy woman who had NO idea what he was on about)

Craig
14th June 2007, 01:11 PM
I believe they started from a 54 plate (Sep 04), but I may be wrong. I have not seen an 04 plate car that was a facelift. :D

as her what the headlamps are like... also if the rear bumper has a wide chrome strip (pre) or a small pin stripe type chrome strip (face-lift). Front bumper is also similar

hope this helps. :D

Bignorm
14th June 2007, 01:38 PM
The Change Was From 07/o4 Build Date So It Would Be A 54 Plate :d

ianking
14th June 2007, 02:00 PM
If build was 07/04 then there could be a couple of late 04 plates going about. 54 plate was from 01/09/04. Im pretty sure I saw a red 04 plate face lift just when they came out. Reg code was BMW UK though.

euan
14th June 2007, 02:59 PM
Cheers, I think that's helped clarify :-) So, it might be a facelifted car, but it might not, depends if it's new or old stock! Think it'll need to be checked out.

ianking
14th June 2007, 03:19 PM
Chances are that it will be pre face lift.

Crombers
15th June 2007, 01:08 PM
Mine is an May 04 build & I'm pretty sure my MINI was one of the last of the originals so I'm pretty sure you get 04 facelifts. Externally the easiest way to tell is the front & rear bumbers (less chrome on the facelift as Craig says). Internally, check to see if there is a roof clock. If no clock then it's a facelift model (clock moved to the speedo) :)

vintageb3
15th June 2007, 08:14 PM
OK...So can anyone explain this then?

I think I know the answer...but maybe I'm wrong (I have been wrong before...last time was a rainy Sunday in 1976 :D )

My car is a facelift....it is a July 04...which i think should be a 54? Right"..Wrong?

But it was registered as an "04"...not a "54"

I remember when I put my plate on...the woman at DVLA made a comment that it should have been a 54...not a 04...but she said it didn't matter.

Answers on a postcard please:)

mark

vintageb3
15th June 2007, 08:16 PM
Actually...maybe a better check the date on the car...maybe it is Sept after all:rolleyes:

mark

ianking
15th June 2007, 08:45 PM
If youre car was made July 04 then it could have been registered as an 04 as 54 started 01/09/04.

duncan
15th June 2007, 09:44 PM
OK...So can anyone explain this then?

I think I know the answer...but maybe I'm wrong (I have been wrong before...last time was a rainy Sunday in 1976 :D )

My car is a facelift....it is a July 04...which i think should be a 54? Right"..Wrong?

But it was registered as an "04"...not a "54"

I remember when I put my plate on...the woman at DVLA made a comment that it should have been a 54...not a 04...but she said it didn't matter.

Answers on a postcard please:)

mark

Do you not have a convertable?
I'm fairly sure there are no pre-facelift soft tops.

vintageb3
15th June 2007, 10:08 PM
and the winner is: Duncan!:D

Yes that does ring a bell...hmmm...

Err I still dunno I think maybe my car was preregistered..if it was a 04...an not 54????

But surely that woulkd have shown up on the V thingy form?

OK..I dunno...who cares anyway:eek:

mark

Sweeney
15th June 2007, 10:09 PM
Simple, look on the V5 it will tell you the date of registration. Open your bonnet and check the sticker, it will tell you what month and year build your car was.

vintageb3
15th June 2007, 10:50 PM
I will do that during the week....

Thanks!

mark

euan
16th June 2007, 08:46 AM
Well, I'm off to test drive the car he's looking at today on his behalf, so I'll let you know if it's facelifted or not!

ianking
16th June 2007, 09:19 AM
Actually Euan is correct there are no pre face lift convertables.

The one and cooper convertable came out on an 04 reg at launch with the facelift before the hard top was launched with its face lift. The S convertable didnt come out for a couple months or so after so they will be on 54 reg.

vintageb3
16th June 2007, 09:54 AM
Actually Euan is correct there are no pre face lift convertables.

The one and cooper convertable came out on an 04 reg at launch with the facelift before the hard top was launched with its face lift. The S convertable didnt come out for a couple months or so after so they will be on 54 reg.

OK!! Right!...so...why was mine SE04 XXX? (Can't remember the other letters)

This is what I was trying to get at in my rambling way.

The girl at DVLA said that this made my car appear older than it really is....and it should have been a 54

At the end of the day its no biggie...but I'm just interested in how this could have been.

mark

Gismo
16th June 2007, 10:13 AM
It could have been registered as one of the very first demo cars, prior to the official launch, so that they could get it on the road so to speak :rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
16th June 2007, 10:55 AM
OK!! Right!...so...why was mine SE04 XXX? (Can't remember the other letters)

This is what I was trying to get at in my rambling way.

The girl at DVLA said that this made my car appear older than it really is....and it should have been a 54

At the end of the day its no biggie...but I'm just interested in how this could have been.

mark

All the above could be summarised in two words.... Administrational Error:p . Strange though, because government agencies almost never make mistakes.:rolleyes:

A.:D

vintageb3
16th June 2007, 11:03 AM
It could have been registered as one of the very first demo cars, prior to the official launch, so that they could get it on the road so to speak :rolleyes:

Well..this was my assumption...it was preregistered and a demo...but I looked into that...and it wasn't.

Don't think I would have been happy if I had been caught out with a ex demo so checked previous ownership.

The car only had 9850miles on the clock when I got it...so I really don't think it was a demo...but you never know what "tricks" garages get up to;)

The first owner was an individual...not a dealership though

mark

euan
16th June 2007, 01:07 PM
It could be that it was a car from BMW - the staff at the offices are able to get the cars themsleves and it would be registered in the individual names.

vintageb3
17th June 2007, 07:04 AM
It could be that it was a car from BMW - the staff at the offices are able to get the cars themsleves and it would be registered in the individual names.

Yes...I thought about that yesterday Euan...this may be the very thing.

Its a way to keep the dealers name off the V whatever form!

So it could be ex demo!!!!!!...:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Bar-steward!

OK...can anyone point me to an online resource that will give me the exact release date for the Cooper S convertible?

For another reason this has become quite...no...actually VERY important to me.

And the SE04 prefix...that's an Edinburgh prefix?

I've just checked my V5C form...The date of first registration is 10/08/04...so doesn't this mean it SHOULD be a 54?

How the hell can it be a 04 then?

I will check the build date when I got home from work today

mark

Craig
17th June 2007, 10:23 AM
Mark,

it sounds like your car was one of the very first Convertibles, but if the registration date is 10/08/04 it is an 04 plate as 54 plates started 01/09/04. I can't remember seeing ANY 04 plate convertibles..

I would think your car was probably a BMW car (factory demo/dealer demo/MINI staff car etc)

I would think that your local dealer should be able to give you some more history on it...:)

Mark - just found this page which kinda gives an answer... http://www.mini2.com/2004/01/24/uk-convertible-launch-date-confirmed-other-rumours/#more-203

euan
17th June 2007, 12:43 PM
The dealer can get the car's build date for you.

vintageb3
17th June 2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks guys...Haven't had a chance to check the car out...just finished work...and can't be bothered with it today...

Cheers!

mark

Gismo
17th June 2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks guys...Haven't had a chance to check the car out...just finished work...and can't be bothered with it today...

So glad that so many of us have rallied round to help you when YOU can't be bothered :rolleyes: ;)

vintageb3
17th June 2007, 04:53 PM
So glad that so many of us have rallied round to help you when YOU can't be bothered :rolleyes: ;)

Bonnie...I certainly didn't mean to imply your help and the help from other members here wasn't appreciated.

Maybe it was bad choice of words in my last post...but I was up half the night vommiting after what I think was a bought of food poisoning and still had to go to work today.

I did appreciate the help enough to read the posts when I got in from work and reply with a short post.

Sorry it wasn't enough to satisfy some.

mark

Gismo
17th June 2007, 05:15 PM
Bonnie...I certainly didn't mean to imply your help and the help from other members here wasn't appreciated.

Maybe it was bad choice of words in my last post...but I was up half the night vommiting after what I think was a bought of food poisoning and still had to go to work today.

I did appreciate the help enough to read the posts when I got in from work and reply with a short post.

Sorry it wasn't enough to satisfy some.

mark
Just my sense of humour, don't take it the way you've answered, lol :D

vintageb3
17th June 2007, 06:27 PM
Just my sense of humour, don't take it the way you've answered, lol :D

I didn't...I was pulling yer leg:D ;)

Never took the huff in ma life:)

I was still sick though...so can I get some sympathy PLEASE!!!:eek: :D

mark

Big Gordy
18th June 2007, 08:32 AM
so can I get some sympathy PLEASE!!!
NO!!:mad:
Now get back to work ya lazy so and so ;) :p :D

vintageb3
18th June 2007, 07:40 PM
NO!!:mad:
Now get back to work ya lazy so and so ;) :p :D

:( Story of my life:( :eek: :D

mark

ianking
18th June 2007, 08:16 PM
Yes this is very strange.

Your reg prefix of SE04 isnt Edinburgh though, it will probable be Glasgow. Edinburgh plates start on 'SK'

There are definately 04 plate One and Cooper convertibles as I looked at a couple for Sarah but I have never seen an 04 plate S converible. The S convertible definately didnt arrive for a couple months or so after the one and cooper.

Maybe the plate 'SE04' was a plate that the previous owner had as their own plate from the car before and wanted to bring it over but when they sold the car just left it on.

An uncle of mine done that years ago with a mazda 626. He had 3 of them all in the same colour but he kept the original number (not because it was a good number though) just because he didnt want his customers to think he was getting a new car every other year.

vintageb3
18th June 2007, 08:25 PM
Yes this is very strange.

Your reg prefix of SE04 isnt Edinburgh though, it will probable be Glasgow. Edinburgh plates start on 'SK'

There are definately 04 plate One and Cooper convertibles as I looked at a couple for Sarah but I have never seen an 04 plate S converible. The S convertible definately didnt arrive for a couple months or so after the one and cooper.

Maybe the plate 'SE04' was a plate that the previous owner had as their own plate from the car before and wanted to bring it over but when they sold the car just left it on.

An uncle of mine done that years ago with a mazda 626. He had 3 of them all in the same colour but he kept the original number (not because it was a good number though) just because he didnt want his customers to think he was getting a new car every other year.

Hi Ian

I have found out that my car was a July build (week 31) and the selling dealer was Douglas Park. So as you say...it is a Glasgow car.

It was FIRST registered on 10/08/04 and is an 04 as Craig has suggested.

This means that it was one of the first Cooper S convertibles on the road.

I'm no way thinking this was a good thing though:(

Thanks everyone!

mark

ianking
18th June 2007, 08:31 PM
Oops never read that your was Aug reg.
I thought that S convertables were supposed to have been launched from 01.09.04 on - wards.
The previous owner must have been very eager to get their car. If they had waited until 01/09 making it a 54 then they prob would have got about £250 more for it when they traded it in.

Sweeney
18th June 2007, 08:39 PM
Might've known dougie parks to be involved in this somewhere along the line ;) :o