PDA

View Full Version : Autobrite Foam lance...

vintageb3
13th June 2007, 08:09 PM
I bought a foam lance for my Karcher cleaner...and it arrived today...

£43.00 from Autobrite UK...they are not easy to deal with though...I had to call them and hassle them to ask when i would get the AB lance...as I had heard on "detailing world" that people had been waiting weeks upon delivery. Mines only took 3 days to come ;)

I was part of 50 group buy on that site

Here's a link to Elite's site that shows you the results if you use a foam lance.

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=302

Thought it would be handy for the vans...and the occasional use on my car.

I love making foam!

I bought one of those Gilmour foam guns...utter crap!...its going on ebay!

The foam on the car shown in the pic was probably created by only about 12mm(1/2") of shampoo in the bottle....so its cheap to use

Just fill the rest of the bottle with water...and start foaming!

mark

AndyP & Lenore
13th June 2007, 08:23 PM
Mark, do you know if the shampoo is wax free? As we've got Diamondbrite on our cars, we can't use any shampoo's that have a wax base. But I've always liked the look of a foamed-up car.;)

A.:D

Sweeney
13th June 2007, 08:26 PM
i use the gilmour one with hyper wash, snow foam etc, works fine... Although using snow foam like pictured will eventually do more harm than good as its designed for a touchless wash ;) better off using a foam shampoo like hyper wash and get the ole wash mit and bucket or two out, produces a nice clean finish and isn't harsh like the snowfoam

vintageb3
13th June 2007, 08:48 PM
Mark, do you know if the shampoo is wax free? As we've got Diamondbrite on our cars, we can't use any shampoo's that have a wax base. But I've always liked the look of a foamed-up car.;)

A.:D

You can use any shampoo you like Andy...it will foam just the same...

mark

AndyP & Lenore
13th June 2007, 08:53 PM
You can use any shampoo you like Andy...it will foam just the same...

mark

Cool. Might just get me one of them then.

A.;)

vintageb3
13th June 2007, 09:25 PM
i use the gilmour one with hyper wash, snow foam etc, works fine... Although using snow foam like pictured will eventually do more harm than good as its designed for a touchless wash ;) better off using a foam shampoo like hyper wash and get the ole wash mit and bucket or two out, produces a nice clean finish and isn't harsh like the snowfoam

You are entirely correct Sweeney...I'm not a lover of the snow foam...will use that on the vans.

I like Turtle wash and wax...and on the MINI I will use the foam gun to pre wash...then rinse...then foam again and use my washmit with bucket to ensure that I don't pick up grit on the mitt and spread it about.

The Gilmour is poor in comparison to the quantity and quality of foam from this lance...and its even worse of you have poor flow on your supply (notice that I didn't say pressure on your supply...that's different from flow)

Anyone want to buy a Gilmour...only used once!

mark

vintageb3
13th June 2007, 09:28 PM
Cool. Might just get me one of them then.

A.;)

I would buy from Elite...AB didn't even send me a invoice...or an email to even say that they had received my payment.

Now I have to try and track them down for an invoice.

bummer!

I was getting more foam than in the pic by the way Andy....but I don't think its neccsary....just loads of fun.

Foamed my Dad's monoblocks with patio cleaner...it seemed to help the cleaner dwell longer...and also foamed his caravan with snow foam.

Hope this helps

mark

Dashik
13th June 2007, 11:45 PM
So you've started foaming have you? best get to a VET asap ;)

I got the Karcher Foam lance from Autobrite as well about a month back, I can say that the service was fine and I LOVE The lance :D great fun, then rinse, Shampoo, Rinse, dry , Polish, wax repeat etc.... :D

Scottie
14th June 2007, 12:01 AM
We had the foam lance up at Inverness. Lasted all of about a couple months then we never used it again. H'mm wonder where I put it maybe sell it to someone.;) ;)

Big Col
14th June 2007, 07:08 AM
I've got a Gilmour and it's excellent but we have pretty high pressure at our hose point and that makes a HUGE difference as I used it at my mates once, he had keech line pressure and the foam gun was rubbish!

vintageb3
14th June 2007, 07:53 AM
I've got a Gilmour and it's excellent but we have pretty high pressure at our hose point and that makes a HUGE difference as I used it at my mates once, he had keech line pressure and the foam gun was rubbish!

Col...What you have is "good flow"...everyone should have between 50 and 90 PSI mains water pressure.

Everyone gets mixed up between "flow" and "pressure"

Plumbers often turn down the stop **** or gate valve or ballofix fix to stop pipes banging or water splashing over your worktop when the cold water tap is turned on full. This reduces the flow....but not the pressure.

We have great 'pressure" and reasonable "flow" and the Gilmour doesn't come anywhere near this lance.

I'm not saying "Nah Nah...mines is better than yours" I'm only hoping that if someone reads this...has a power washer and has the choice between a Gilmour and a Power Washer foam lance...they think twice before buying a Gilmour.

I also noticed that I use less chemical with the foam lance...but as ever YMMV...

mark

vintageb3
14th June 2007, 07:57 AM
So you've started foaming have you? best get to a VET asap ;)

I got the Karcher Foam lance from Autobrite as well about a month back, I can say that the service was fine and I LOVE The lance :D great fun, then rinse, Shampoo, Rinse, dry , Polish, wax repeat etc.... :D

This is not the Karcher £14.99 foam attachment...its supposed to drink chemical...and has no adjustment. But check on Youtube...there's a guy using one...it looks "OK"

AB supply many attachments to go to many different makes of power washer for their brand of foam lance.

Hope this helps

mark

vintageb3
14th June 2007, 08:14 AM
P.S. I'm not putting anyone down here if they like their Gilmour/Karcher attachment etc...kinda sounds like that...sorry:(

I'm just over the moon with this foam lance (even at proesent when my Karcher lance is playing up a bit) and thought i would pass it on here as I know may of you will have power washers.

I do hope this helps someone out

mark

Gismo
14th June 2007, 09:15 AM
This has been very enlightening for me ;)
If i ever wanted to foam my car, it's all here :p
Then again, i'd rather watch several dozen episodes of Big Brother on a 14" black and white portable :D

euan
14th June 2007, 09:39 AM
Then again, i'd rather watch several dozen episodes of Big Brother on a 14" black and white portable :D
Big Brother has made it big in Baku??? :-)

S7JGW
14th June 2007, 10:43 AM
Clean and Shiney also sell that lance if you have problems with autobrite.
Jim

Dashik
14th June 2007, 11:48 AM
This is not the Karcher £14.99 foam attachment...its supposed to drink chemical...and has no adjustment. But check on Youtube...there's a guy using one...it looks "OK"

AB supply many attachments to go to many different makes of power washer for their brand of foam lance.

Hope this helps

mark

LOL, neither is mine, its to circa £50 metal job with extra foam and supersnow foam stuff :D mines pretty damn quick, Mini goes from HyperBlue to Fluffy white if 5 secs...... Beat that!!!

PS this one http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1726

Big Col
14th June 2007, 12:08 PM
Col...What you have is "good flow"...everyone should have between 50 and 90 PSI mains water pressure.

Everyone gets mixed up between "flow" and "pressure"

mark

Well thanks for that mate. Having worked for a pump company for 10 years I don't think I am mixed but it was kind of you to post. It is the difference in pressure I was talking about though. :)

Big Gordy
14th June 2007, 12:16 PM
Having WORKED for a pump company
You use that word loosely of course...........at one point you logged more hours on this website that you did at said pump company:rolleyes: :p ;) :D

Big Col
14th June 2007, 12:35 PM
You use that word loosely of course...........at one point you logged more hours on this website that you did at said pump company:rolleyes: :p ;) :D

Oh very very very loosely mate! :D

Scottie
14th June 2007, 12:39 PM

mark

unfortunately this is not the case for everyone Mark.

Having had 2 houses in the Country

1st Dunblane private water supply poor flow poor pressure. Indeed in the summer the spring well would dry up and we had to switch over to the Ardoch River and filter the water through our own private filtration plant. Lovingly know as the pump house. Then we had to fit laser things to the taps in the house. See folk that turn on a tap and water comes out and don't need to worry have no idea. god I remember when it was heavy rain the water was brown with peat couldn't wash you whites jeez and we are only talking 6 years back. toon folk have no idea.

2nd Muir of Ord. Mains water to the road then our own old 1950's imperial size pipes to our house just two small and restricted our flow of water and in turn restricted our pressure.

CoNs
14th June 2007, 02:18 PM
i have both a gilmour and a foam lance

both are good

but the foam lance is amazing! i use it with a Lavor Rio Hot Wash, only thing i clean my car with

will take some pictures with it later ;)

vintageb3
14th June 2007, 09:49 PM
i have both a gilmour and a foam lance

both are good

but the foam lance is amazing! i use it with a Lavor Rio Hot Wash, only thing i clean my car with

will take some pictures with it later ;)

Bloody hell!...Yours must be good!!...

I can only wash the car with mine:D ...:eek:

Silly me:D

mark

vintageb3
14th June 2007, 09:54 PM
unfortunately this is not the case for everyone Mark.

Having had 2 houses in the Country

1st Dunblane private water supply poor flow poor pressure. Indeed in the summer the spring well would dry up and we had to switch over to the Ardoch River and filter the water through our own private filtration plant. Lovingly know as the pump house. Then we had to fit laser things to the taps in the house. See folk that turn on a tap and water comes out and don't need to worry have no idea. god I remember when it was heavy rain the water was brown with peat couldn't wash you whites jeez and we are only talking 6 years back. toon folk have no idea.

2nd Muir of Ord. Mains water to the road then our own old 1950's imperial size pipes to our house just two small and restricted our flow of water and in turn restricted our pressure.

I have lived on a farm as well Fi...and my own hoose his is still outside of the town...but only just...and on a rurel postal route...

But my water supply was never as bad as yours:D

vintageb3
14th June 2007, 09:57 PM

No...I think I would still rather foam..in fact...I'd rather foam...cut my toe nails into the quick and dance in salt...listen to Nana Mouskouri...and pay double tax than have to endure that dirge on TV:eek:

mark

vintageb3
14th June 2007, 10:00 PM
LOL, neither is mine, its to circa £50 metal job with extra foam and supersnow foam stuff :D mines pretty damn quick, Mini goes from HyperBlue to Fluffy white if 5 secs...... Beat that!!!

PS this one http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1726

Sorry Dashik...didn't mean to imply yours was the wee Karcher one...was differentiating between the two for the good folks here.

Still haven't tried mine on my car....because BMW still have mine:(

mark

vintageb3
14th June 2007, 10:11 PM
Well thanks for that mate. Having worked for a pump company for 10 years I don't think I am mixed but it was kind of you to post. It is the difference in pressure I was talking about though. :)

Well obviously you took that the wrong way Mr Big Pumpy Bum!:eek: :D

If you hadn't worked for a pump company...you may have found that interesting...but obviously you took that in condescending way which was not intended. Sorry if I offended you...but no need to get all pumped up about it!:D

"Weir" only trying to help (Get it???..."""Weir"...Weir Pumps???)

But I felt "impelled" to...:D

Oh I give up!:(

Still think flow is the issue with the Gilmour...But hey...I'm only a rocket surgeon

mark

Dashik
14th June 2007, 10:45 PM
Sorry Dashik...didn't mean to imply yours was the wee Karcher one...was differentiating between the two for the good folks here.

Still haven't tried mine on my car....because BMW still have mine:(

mark

Looked for it when I was in Phoenix yesterday, was that the one that was racing round the carpark in 1st at 9750 rpm with 9 mechanics sitting in it eating pies with gravy.............

Oh and I got a delivery of 5l of SUPER SNOW FOAM today :D Anyone seen 'Day after Tommorrow'? :eek:

vintageb3
14th June 2007, 11:06 PM
Looked for it when I was in Phoenix yesterday, was that the one that was racing round the carpark in 1st at 9750 rpm with 9 mechanics sitting in it eating pies with gravy.............

Oh and I got a delivery of 5l of SUPER SNOW FOAM today :D Anyone seen 'Day after Tommorrow'? :eek:

Err..mate...I don't think so:( ...its the one that was left exactly where I parked it two days ago and nothings been done to it yet.:( Actually I tell a lie...someone managed to move it...and park the front spolier on the kerb. I'd personally like to thank that person:mad:

mark

Scottie
14th June 2007, 11:12 PM
I have lived on a farm as well Fi...and my own hoose his is still outside of the town...but only just...and on a rurel postal route...

I never said I lived on a farm. :D :rolleyes: ;) I lived in a big HUGE CASTLE in the country with 5 acres ground and stables just off the main drive. Now lets see if you can beat that:p :p :cool:

vintageb3
14th June 2007, 11:36 PM
I never said I lived on a farm. :D :rolleyes: ;) I lived in a big HUGE CASTLE in the country with 5 acres ground and stables just off the main drive. Now lets see if you can beat that:p :p :cool:

Cardboard box???...When I was a lad....

Back to you:D

mark

CoNs
15th June 2007, 10:22 AM
just cleaning my car just now, took some pics of me foaming it

and a small video will upload em in 5

CoNs
15th June 2007, 11:00 AM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e345/CoNqUg/ce9345c1.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e345/CoNqUg/a65b2164.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e345/CoNqUg/9265549d.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e345/CoNqUg/3e452636.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e345/CoNqUg/39c72bb5.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e345/CoNqUg/b4b38fe3.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e345/CoNqUg/a7ee475c.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e345/CoNqUg/b3fced8a.jpg

:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVW1iyymmFk

Sweeney
15th June 2007, 11:11 AM
Did you foam the engine + engine bay too?

CoNs
15th June 2007, 01:52 PM
yes, never done it no harm on the mini or my previous car

keeps it looking like factory:o

Sweeney
15th June 2007, 02:22 PM
no harm? :confused: covering electrics in foam then water? :eek:

vintageb3
15th June 2007, 08:03 PM
OK...Advice here then CONS please!....

I see you are using what looks like car shampoo...I take it not snowfoam?

I'm geting like double the amount of foam that you are in your pics with snowfoam and a wee bit car shampoo...but I'm wondering if all that foam is necessary?

Any Tips?

I'm going to get a measuring system in place...I think I'm uisng more than I need with guess work

Your power washer is quiet!...mines wakes the dead!

I have problems with my washer shutting off still...so I'm wasting a lot of foam...hope to get that sorted soon!

My lance is a bit different to yours...mines has a plastic end that you can adjust to get the fan you need.

Don't know whyt this is required...cause what you have in your pic is what I have mine set to.

Great pics and vid!

mark

vintageb3
15th June 2007, 08:51 PM

Sweeney...do you know what is in Snowfoam?

Thanks

mark

Sweeney
15th June 2007, 08:56 PM
Detergents and chemicals ;) (same basis that if you washed the car with fairy liquid constantly eventually the paint would go brittle and be prone to cracking and what not) Each brand of snowfoam is different etc

I still reckon spraying water on electrical connections and directly on the engine is just asking for trouble never mind dowsing them in foam first, which would linger in places underneath as the water wouldnt completely rinse it all

ianking
15th June 2007, 09:31 PM
Sweeney

I do my engine regulary. When I worked as a valetor we used the hot jet wash on every car that went through the valet bay and the only cars that were prone to not starting were fiats.

On the mini (not done an R56 engine bay yet) the only bit I cover up is the air intake right at the front centre of the bay. I just stuff an old cloth in there. Engines are fine these days at getting wet.
You can do the same with door checks as well. Its the only way to get them really clean properly.

Sweeney
15th June 2007, 09:35 PM
Surely water will find its way into them and help/cause corrosion?

ianking
15th June 2007, 09:39 PM
Surely water will find its way into them and help/cause corrosion?

Into where? the engine?

the engine is all sealed up. If you mean the electrical connectors then maybe, if you were to set about them on a super hard jet setting going right up to them but generally they are a pretty tight fit (for that reason). Its fine doing the engine bay with the jet wash about every 3 or 4 months. You can do the door checks as often as you want.

Sweeney
15th June 2007, 09:42 PM
Yeah the connectors and leads etc is what i meant, i have my moments but i am aware that the engine block itself is rather tightly sealed from the elements ;)

Im still unconvinced as foam takes a good rinse to get rid of but hey ill give it a go on monday or something :D

ianking
15th June 2007, 09:49 PM
Must admit, ive never used foam on the engine bay. If the bay is very dirty then it probably wont remove it all. Particularly under the bonet where minis get very dirty. I use all purpose cleaner such as Meguiars all purpose or Autosmart G101. These chemicals can be diluted into a sprayer then used on engine bay, door checks and up wheel arches. Leaves these areas like brand new.

vintageb3
15th June 2007, 10:46 PM
Detergents and chemicals ;) (same basis that if you washed the car with fairy liquid constantly eventually the paint would go brittle and be prone to cracking and what not) Each brand of snowfoam is different etc

Sweeney...the guy I bought my Gilmour from told me that snow foam is made by one company owned or rep'd by a girl called Rachel down south.

When this guy started up...he was asked what he wanted his snowfoam to be called...and the supply company prints up the labels. He told me that everyone that sells snow foam sells the same stuff.

I take on board what you say about the snow foam though...it doesn't feel as good as car shampoo if you rub it between your thumb and forefinger (EH!):eek:

I'm going to use it on the vans...and use Turtle Wash and Wash on the car.

mark

Sweeney
15th June 2007, 10:50 PM
Well elite car care make their own as far as i know?
I know of a couple other suppliers that valeters in this area use. It's def a harsh form of cleaning, no harm in occasional washes but better off with washmit etc. Btw i do have foam guns and use snowfoam, shampoo etc... im not being biased in any way :D Oh and i agree that its a great option for commercial use etc (vans, lorries etc ;))

vintageb3
15th June 2007, 10:58 PM
Well elite car care make their own as far as i know?
I know of a couple other suppliers that valeters in this area use. It's def a harsh form of cleaning, no harm in occasional washes but better off with washmit etc. Btw i do have foam guns and use snowfoam, shampoo etc... im not being biased in any way :D Oh and i agree that its a great option for commercial use etc (vans, lorries etc ;))

Elite was one of the companies that this guy mentioned as being the same stuff as his.

I bought 5 litres from him...and its the exact same type of label and container as elite...

Check it here:

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=57&products_id=283

http://www.becarcare.co.uk/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=35

Same stuff I think...make your own mind up.

By the way this guy stays in Cumbernauld...and keeps all the Poor boys stuff...and he is cheaper than most!

mark

Sweeney
15th June 2007, 10:59 PM
Ah well, wouldn't be surprised anyway with the amount of rebranding that goes on in todays car industry ;)

CoNs
9th July 2007, 02:26 PM
sorry vintage just seen your post on the last page

i used the free snowfoam i got with my gun and tbh, it was alot more foamier, but i think the TurtleWax stuff i am using atm does a better job at cleaning it

i buy the TW for £30 for 25 litres so it lasts a while

vintageb3
9th July 2007, 07:32 PM
TELL ME MORE!!!!!!

Does it foam well???

Is it wax safe???

Where can I get some?

Thanks!!!!

mark