PDA

View Full Version : Last weeks lightning

duncan
11th June 2007, 04:44 PM
What a nightmare!

Even though they all were connected through multi plugs with surge arresters, I lost my TV, DVD/HDD recorder, Router, and PC to the storms.

Thankfully, the house insurance is picking up the bill for the new stuff, and i'm getting a nice flat screen out of it, but its a lesson to me that the first time I hear that rumble of thunder, i'll be unplugging everything!

AndyP & Lenore
11th June 2007, 04:50 PM
Holy sh!t!!! That's a lot of kit to loose at once.:eek: :eek:

If your house insurance hadn't picked up the bill, surge protector's normally have "connected equipment" cover. Although I have to admit, I've never had to claim on that sort of insurance, so I don't know what sort of hoops they make you jump through.:mad:

A.:(

Burple
11th June 2007, 04:53 PM
Total bummer, I'd heard it was quite bad over Dundee, although it couldn't have missed us by much..

We heard it (in Redford) from about 8 pm to half 10.. then nothing all night. At a rough guestimate, it was about 9-15 miles from us, and didn't pass over all that close at all :( I was hoping to try and get some pics :(.

I did consider unplugging everything in the house, then more or less decided that if it seemed to be getting any closer than 9 or 10 miles, then I defintely would, since the rumbles were fairly regular. One of them even lasted a whole 13 seconds, possibly the longest peal of thunder I've ever heard.. Only ever saw a couple of flashes though. hmph.

Then I get into work on Monday morning, to find out that half of the outlying parts of the Uni campus have no network connectivity, following a massive power outage casued by the lightning on the Sunday / Monday morning!..

It must have been quite a zap to get past all the new surge protection etc gear installed after the last fairly recent power fault.

Craig
11th June 2007, 05:22 PM
it must have been the weekend for electrical issues...

got in today to find out that one of our guys got called out on Sat night about 10:30pm. Turns out that one of our air-con units failed in our main server room and about 30 of our servers overheated :eek: :eek: . The temp in the room was upwards of 50 degrees C :eek: :eek: . they were grabing small air con units and fans from all over the building to try and cool them down. The racks were that hot, that you couldn't touch them..

THey recovered most of the servers, but it looks like we lost a couple..:( We had just been talking earlier in the week that that air con unit wasn't pumping out much cold air..:o

euan
11th June 2007, 05:42 PM
That's nasty. We went in one day to find the air con had been leaking water into our server room...

I'm off to buy some surge protectors for my house! I lost a PS one (years ago) when the power went off, but it was Scottish Electric and not a force of nature!