PDA

View Full Version : Just about to lose the plot...

s15gma
5th June 2007, 09:11 PM
Can someone pleeease tell me how to get signatures on?? Made them small using microsoft office picture editor, but it is still 7kb so won't fit!!!!! AAAaaaarrrrggghhhhh!! How can I get it to fit?????

AndyP & Lenore
5th June 2007, 09:25 PM
To be honest, 2.0k seems an unfeasibly small size for a signature strip. I can't see how a (recommended size) 468 X 60 pixels could come in at 2.0kb.

I would have thought that would have been nearer 20kb ish.

Perhaps a mod or Calum will be along soon to offer advice. Or to rubbish my statement - entirely possible.:eek: :D

A.:D

AndyP & Lenore
5th June 2007, 09:29 PM
Just checked. According to Adobe Photoshop, a 468 X 60 pixel file is 83kb.

Saved as a JPEG it is 17kb.

Saved as a (crappy) gif it is 6kb.

A.

Gismo
5th June 2007, 09:31 PM
I don't know the real answer, but, if the site only allows 2kb then i can't see any way a piccie could be made that small a file size, so, am thinking that if you host the sig on photobucket or something, then using the guidelines, 500 x 100 should be feasable

AndyP & Lenore
5th June 2007, 09:37 PM
Alan 500 X 100 will be "chopped into little pieces"!:eek: :D

Gismo
5th June 2007, 10:13 PM
Alan 500 X 100 will be "chopped into little pieces"!:eek: :D
Why, the following text has been taken from the signature page:-

"Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 500 by 100 pixels or 2.0 KB (whichever is smaller)"

Burple
5th June 2007, 11:29 PM
Try going to somewhere like www.imageshack.us and uploading your picture. then use the url (link) it provides (the text in the bottom wee box that looks something like a web address - ie - http:\\www.imageshack.whatever..). copy and paste that text into the "Enter url to the image on another website" box on the 'Signature' page of NMS..
That means you've put your Sig image on Imageshack, and you're only linking to it on NMS, and Calum won't get upset about the size of your image :D:D

I think that's right.. it's too late today for my brain to think about work stuff ;):D

AndyP & Lenore
5th June 2007, 11:34 PM
Why, the following text has been taken from the signature page:-

"Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 500 by 100 pixels or 2.0 KB (whichever is smaller)"

Because the following text is from Monsta Mo Mini in Wul's "Polite Request" thread:-

468 x 60 pixels is the absolute limit for sigs. Any larger than that will be removed...or hacked into little bits!

Being honest, I'm not sure which size is ok.:confused: Should we go with Calum's 468 X 60 or the site's recommended 500 X 100.

The smaller size is incredibly small, so when I re-do my sig image I'll probably be making it 500 X 100. I'm assuming Calum isn't going to ask Angus to redesign all the sig images he's made for everyone, the majority of which are 500 X 100.

A.;)

AndyP & Lenore
5th June 2007, 11:36 PM
Try going to somewhere like www.imageshack.us (http://www.imageshack.us) and uploading your picture. then use the url (link) it provides (the text in the bottom wee box that looks something like a web address - ie - http:\\www.imageshack.whatever..) (http://www.imageshack.whatever..)). copy and paste that text into the "Enter url to the image on another website" box on the 'Signature' page of NMS..
That means you've put your Sig image on Imageshack, and you're only linking to it on NMS, and Calum won't get upset about the size of your image :D:D

I think that's right.. it's too late today for my brain to think about work stuff ;):D

I'm not sure that bandwidth is the problem. I think the biggest problem with bigger sig images is the space they take up on the screen, especially if someone still uses 800 x 600 resolution. Mind you, does anyone still use that resolution?

Burple
5th June 2007, 11:42 PM
I'm not sure that bandwidth is the problem. I think the biggest problem with bigger sig images is the space they take up on the screen, especially if someone still uses 800 x 600 resolution. Mind you, does anyone still use that resolution?

Ooh, yeah, I meant to add, resize your image to the right size (500x100) before you upload it to Imageshack ;)

s15gma
7th June 2007, 09:12 PM
God I am soooo confused!! Made them as thumbnails, compressed them, and then added them to photobucket. Still no joy!!! Can I send my pic I want to someone lovely and get them to help me?? I'm a bit special sometimes.

Gismo
7th June 2007, 09:29 PM
God I am soooo confused!! Made them as thumbnails, compressed them, and then added them to photobucket. Still no joy!!! Can I send my pic I want to someone lovely and get them to help me?? I'm a bit special sometimes.
Send it to me :rolleyes:

monsta mo mini admin
7th June 2007, 09:58 PM
I'll look into the file sizing issue over the weekend. 2k is way too smal for anything

AndyP & Lenore
8th June 2007, 10:19 AM
I'll look into the file sizing issue over the weekend. 2k is way too smal for anything

Calum, I just had a look at the "manage attachments" options for submitting a post. Most of the files uploaded are restricted to 19.5kb too. Which seems fairly small also. MINI2's manage attachments page is the same (but with 125kb size limit) and it's a cool facility to be able to have thumbnails in your post and when you click on them it enlarges them. Not sure if that can be changed or if there's cost implications (bandwidth etc).

A.;)

s15gma
8th June 2007, 08:24 PM
I'm glad I opened a worthwhile discussion here btw!! Will post you off some pics I would like - play with as necessary to make look fabbeee!!